FM 2011 Commentary Pack

The FM 2011 Commentary Pack

(Formerly known as the SOK Bumper Commentary Pack)

Current version: 1

Released: Wednesday 9th November 2010

New lines added for this release: 788

Version 2 release is scheduled for: Friday 24th December 2010

New lines added for Version 2 (so far): 379

What is this?

This pack replaces the original ‘events’ file in FM 2011 with changed commentary lines that display at the foot of the screen on match days. It’s an on-going project which has the ultimate aim of replacing and/or adding to the original lines that are provided with the original Sports Interactive FM 2011 game.

What languages is it written in?

Currently, the pack is designed for English commentary only and it will not work if any other languages are selected for your game play. We would like to be able to issue the pack as a multi-language one but translating issues forbid us to do so.

Will this work with older versions of Football Manager?

The short answer is probably not. The longer answer is that if you are using FM 2009 for example, the game can’t read the extra lines included in FM 2011. This might cause your game to crash as a consequence. A workaround would be to download the current version and remove all the extra lines that aren’t in FM 2009. If you choose to do this, be very careful when removing the lines as the events file is pretty unforgiving to errors and should you make one, it can cause you a lot of bother.

Can I suggest some lines for inclusion?

Yes of course, and please feel free to do so. We would ask that any submissions be kept clean and non-racist or offensive in any way. Also, try to avoid events that may be happening in the real football world today as, whilst they may be apt and funny now, they will quickly become outdated and inappropriate.

Does this mean I can’t ask for “They think it’s all over” to be added?

Something of this nature is different and has to be considered a classic football quote so yes, this kind of thing would be okay to submit.

Please bear in mind though that, owing to the structure of the events file itself, it may not be possible to include some suggestions. As an example, asking for lines that relate to the start of the second half are not possible as there are no original lines for this in the game. Generally speaking, we can only change lines, not add them if they don’t already exist.

Do I have to start a new game to use this?

No you don’t. Once you have it installed, all you have to do is load up FM and the new lines will show.

Do I have to install any previous updates first then this one?

No you don’t. Each update includes all the previous ones so you only ever need to install the current version available to use the pack.

Sounds good, where can I get it from?

You can download the current file from here:

Filefront Downloads so far: 970

http://www.filefront.com/17570357/FM 2011 Commentary Pack.rar

Mediafire Downloads so far: 256

http://www.mediafire.com/?3mmdtb01pkzxedy

Sendspace Downloads so far: 57

http://www.sendspace.com/file/93tkal

Okay, I’ve downloaded it. Now what do I do?

First of all, you’ll need to unpack it with Winrar or a similar application. I advise unpacking it to your desktop or other easy access place

Once you’ve done that, you will have a file named ‘events’. Now this file needs to be put in your events folder. The location of this folder depends on how you installed FM 2011.

1) If you’ve installed FM 2011 ‘out of the box’ (not via steam) and you have no updates installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011/data/events ••

Once you have your events folder open you have two options. Either copy or move the downloaded events file into the events folder and let it overwrite (replace) the original file already there.

If you don’t want to overwrite the file (you may want to change back to the original if you decide you don’t like the download for example) then just rename the original to something like events2. This will then make the downloaded file the ‘active’ one – the one that will show in your game. Now load up FM 2011 and you’re away.

2) If you’ve installed FM 2011 via steam and you have no updates installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\events••

Again, you can choose to overwrite or rename the original events file as you wish.

3) If you’ve installed FM 2011 via steam and you have update 11.1 installed, then you need to follow this path:

•• C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\events••

There will be no original events file in this folder so just put your downloaded events file in here.

This is ingenius work guys. When will SI look and start incoporating some of these lines to improve their commentary ? It really is disappointing that this is one feature they've barely paid any attention to in fm 2011. Thank god for this pack! MILES/SI TEAM PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!!

KUTGW

Do they need to though? Their commentary is perfectly adequate as is, and this is what the community can do to improve something that probably doesn't fit on the disc. I'd rather SI worked on the tricky coding bits, and the community did things like this.

Thanks guys for this :)

"Chelsea are probing like a nurse in an STD clinic" :)

One thing....there is a line that talks about the 90mins winding down....that appears just before half time.

Excellent work though

Can you remember the exact line mate? It'd be easier to track down if you could.

"One thing....there is a line that talks about the 90mins winding down....that appears just before half time

It's okay mate, I've tracked it down and corrected it. Must have had a rush of blood when that line went in! Thanks very much for reporting it.

Do they need to though? Their commentary is perfectly adequate as is, and this is what the community can do to improve something that probably doesn't fit on the disc. I'd rather SI worked on the tricky coding bits, and the community did things like this.

Thanks guys for this :)

Hi Tom - yes I reckon they do. At the end of the day it's all part of the match experience and look how much time and effort has gone into 3-d. It would just be nice to have a bit of variety or add a bit more creativity to the game. I've played a handful of games with this file and I must say I'm already enjoying the games a lot more now and looking forward to every new line I see. It keeps everything fresh. The half time and post game comments are genius as well as well as the references to "me" in the dugout :)

With regards to it fitting on a disc as its lines and will hardly take up any space. Look at how small the events file is in itself.

Saturday 13th November 8:25 am

Anyone who has downloaded this pack before now may like to re-download it as the '90 mins winding down' error, reported by ALH in this thread, has now been corrected. Also corrected are a few typos which I became aware of. Small things I know but they can be irritating if they show up in your game. My thanks to those who pointed out these quirks and I promise to go to Specsavers before I do anything else.

Download links have been updated.

25th November 1010

I've uploaded a mofified version of the commentary pack which corrects some of the errors/bugs reported so far. In detail, these are:

1) "We're nearing the end of 90 minutes now"

This line has been re-worded to avoid the line using the 90 minutes specific time.

2) A small typo has been corrected in the line "It's finely balance at the break."

It now reads "It's finely balanced at the break."

3) Throw ins

The text referred to being in a "good position" for a throw when in-game this was not always the case. These lines have now been simplified and omit the 'in a good position' phrasing.

4) Own Goals

The game, for some reason, displayed the replay text from the generic 'Goal Scored' (flashing text) group instead of the text allocated to the own goal group. This is beyond our control as it is when a penalty is scored - the game again chooses to display the text from the 'Goal Scored' group instead of the text allocated to the Penalty Scored group.

To resolve the own goal replay text problem, I've simply removed the text. The downside to this of course is that the replay text won't appear after a goal is scored. The upside is there won't be any more lines like "smile is as wide as the goal" after a player scores an own goal. Win some, lose some!

5) Post-goal celebration text

Such as "its a muted celebration from <player>" when the player concerned clearly (in 3D) does cartwheels has been removed. Other text in this group will be looked at again with the possible 3D player reaction in mind although it's impossible to predict how the player will react after a goal.

6) Offside

If I've understood the error report correctly, the issue regarding the pre-emptive text in offside situations has been dealt with by removing the offending text.

My thanks to everyone who's taken the time to report these bloopers. It's really appreciated as I can keep the commentary pack up to date and hopefully error-free in future releases.

Links to the modified pack at the head of the thread have been updated for those who want to download it.

"Chelsea are probing like a nurse in an STD clinic" :)

One thing....there is a line that talks about the 90mins winding down....that appears just before half time.

Excellent work though

"i've seen better finishing by the builders of wembley stadium"

haha

All credit to Seafire and team. However, lines like the ones I've quoted are what stop me from using this. You'd never hear that on any commentary apart from FanZone which is something I never enjoyed. These are lines from my mates and me down the pub, not football commentators.

If anyone has a commentary pack without these bits, please let me know.

All credit to Seafire and team. However, lines like the ones I've quoted are what stop me from using this. You'd never hear that on any commentary apart from FanZone which is something I never enjoyed. These are lines from my mates and me down the pub, not football commentators.

If anyone has a commentary pack without these bits, please let me know.

Have to disagree with you here. Times have changed from the old days

- Look at the Sky sports commentators as an example - Andy Gray/Tyler and co do tend to use several humourous lines during a game. bbc live sport text does the same thing - while keeping things relevant at the same time this adds a bit of gentle humour to a situation.

I'm sure a majority of people here would be sick of reading the same generic text week in and week out. I think it's a question of getting the humour and seriousness balance right. And in my opinion this pack does just that.

But you are entitled to your own opinion and it sounds like you would be best off sticking with the SI commentary - that seems to have the generic lines/non humourous lines you are after.

Love the commentary pack, is a brilliant addition to the game. Me and my friends have come up with some suggestions(if they aren't in there already):

Some Andy Gray classics like:

- What a chance! WHAT. A. CHANCE!

-He put it on a plate. An absolute plate!

-Gerrard, YOU BEAUTY!

-What a hit son! What a hit!

-You just don't save those!

Others:

-He was all over him like a cheap suit

-He was all over that like a fat kid on a cup cake

-OH my god, <p> has missed that like Rio and a drugs test

-<p>'s first touch has gone further than he can hoof it

-<p> is all over that like a tramp on chips

-<p> is as unsung as Posh Spice's back-catalogue

- What do <p> and Pete Doherty have in common? They both get caught in possession an awful lot

-Like an Egyptian fish, he's living in denial

-And <p> like a falling oak, manages to change direction.

-<t> they're so good it's like they are running round the pitch playing with themselves.

-It looks like a one man show here, although there are two men involved.

-Its <t1> 0 - <t2> 1, and the longer it stays like that the more you've got to fancy <t2>.

-If that had gone in, it would have been a goal

-<p> is deadly 10 times out of 10, but that wasn't one of them

Maybe some Alan Partridge classics like:

"Eat my goal!!"

"TW*T!! That was liquid football!"

"Sh*t!! Did you see that?! He must have a foot like a traction engine!!"

"That goalie has football pie all over his shirt!"

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!...That, was a goal."

Have to disagree with you here. Times have changed from the old days

- Look at the Sky sports commentators as an example - Andy Gray/Tyler and co do tend to use several humourous lines during a game. bbc live sport text does the same thing - while keeping things relevant at the same time this adds a bit of gentle humour to a situation.

I'm sure a majority of people here would be sick of reading the same generic text week in and week out. I think it's a question of getting the humour and seriousness balance right. And in my opinion this pack does just that.

But you are entitled to your own opinion and it sounds like you would be best off sticking with the SI commentary - that seems to have the generic lines/non humourous lines you are after.

Fair enough, I don't think there is no room for humour, of course there is, but some of the lines are ludicrous and for me, not right. I'll stick with the SI one until someone (or me if I have the time) make what I want.

Fair enough, I don't think there is no room for humour, of course there is, but some of the lines are ludicrous and for me, not right. I'll stick with the SI one until someone (or me if I have the time) make what I want.

bloody hell edgar take it easy a bit of humour is in all commentry its good to have banter, you bloody kill joy

bloody hell edgar take it easy a bit of humour is in all commentry its good to have banter, you bloody kill joy

So I'm not allowed an opinion on this? Why?

If you actually read my post, I said there is room for humour, I just think this is over the top. That is my personal opinion. Which I'm sure I'm entitled to.

I haven't slated this pack, I haven't said no one should/can use it. Just expressed an opinion and maybe laid the seed for someone else to create something a little more realistic.

Is that cool with you?

Hi edgar - thanks for the feedback - Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we don't expect every single fan out there to love what's in the pack. If we were able to achieve that I think that would be a miracle :) It's hard to please everyone and there will always be aspects some love and others hate. We try to find as much of a balance as we can and as we update/tweak the pack we look to take out some of the older lines and freshen them up for each version. We've actually got rid of a lot of lines we didn't like over the last year or so that we felt were a bit too OTT and we will continue to do this moving forward. That's not to say we will be removing the humourous elements totally - just keeping them in line with real life as much as possible.

Hi edgar - thanks for the feedback - Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we don't expect every single fan out there to love what's in the pack. If we were able to achieve that I think that would be a miracle :) It's hard to please everyone and there will always be aspects some love and others hate. We try to find as much of a balance as we can and as we update/tweak the pack we look to take out some of the older lines and freshen them up for each version. We've actually got rid of a lot of lines we didn't like over the last year or so that we felt were a bit too OTT and we will continue to do this moving forward. That's not to say we will be removing the humourous elements totally - just keeping them in line with real life as much as possible.

Thanks for your response mate, I know I may be in the minority and your work is really good, keep it up!

sorry if this is clearly stated ...

I didnt install through steam ( i dont think )

I have the 1.1 update

Were do i place this file

just in here .. C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\events ??

I'm not sure to be honest as I use Steam but I think it'd be something like:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2011/data/updates/update-11.1.1/data/events

Can any non-steam users verify this please?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived