does finishing 1st in your group stage in european football matter?

hey guys and gals

im in my 2nd season and after just scraping through the champions league qualifying stages my team suddenly clicked and we won 4 out of 4 champions league group stages, including 2 victories against Bayern Munich. what i want to know is does finishing 1st have the advantage that it has in real life, in real life the team that finishes first plays against someone who has finished 2nd and it makes it easier to advance in the competition, as this is my first season in the champions league proper in FM11 (crashed out to Sampdoria in the quali's in the first season) I know in the last few versions there hasnt seemed to be a differnce and it was like the FA Cup were anyone could draw anyone (apart from the same nationality as you)

cheers for replies!

The team that finishes in first place will be drawn against a team from another group that finishes 2nd.

Besides that, winning more games will increase your european coefficient, which means that you will be seeded in a better group, and face less tough opposition in the groups stages in the coming seasons. It will also improve the number of places that your league will get in Europe. And finally, it will probably also count towards your league reputation. :)

Oh, and you also get 800.000 euro for each match you win. :p

Archived