FM10 - Hard Disk Reformat - Which files to keep??

Hi all. I am unfortunately in a situation where I am going to have to completely reformat my harddrive and reinstall windows. Fortunately the problems are not so severe that I cannot get into Windows and so I am currently backing up all my essential data.

Obviously my number one priority is ensuring that I will be able to continue a much loved save game. What I need to know is which files I will need to back up in order to do this and, if people have the time, what steps I will need to take to make it work ok.

My FM10 is installed from Steam. I have obviously backed up the save game itself. But are there other files that the save will need to access in order to work? I believe that I have already backed up my saved training regimes and I do not have any saved tactics as far as I am aware (although I will be backing up the download for the TTF tactics set. Are there any other files the game will need? Eg shortlists? Should I simply back up the whole FM sub-directory in my Steam directory and then paste this over the top when I reinstall the game from Steam?

Any help would be gratefully accepted!

I don't use steam so don't know whether it affects the install paths but on a normal install you would want to backup the Football Manager 2010 folder inside of your 'My Documents'

For example on my pc (Windows 7) its here 'C:\Users\myname\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010'

I would actually just backup the saved games as other things like tactics and training are stored within a game as well. Games are stored in this folder - 'C:\Users\myname\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\games'

On your newly formatted pc do a clean Football Manager 2010 install and most importantly patch the game to the same level as pre-format. Then just restore the backed up Football Manager 2010 folder or copy the individual saved game files back into the relevent folders.

Should be noted that some of the folders are not created until the game is loaded for the first time.

Archived