Is language learning slower in this game (than in previous versions)?

I'm in November of the second season, managing Arsenal, and I've just noticed that none of the foreign players I've bought have learnt to speak English yet. There will a couple of Dutch/Austrians/Scandis who already could when I signed them, but of the foreign players who couldn't speak English when they signed, none of them have even basic English listed among their languages.

This includes two players who joined in the very first transfer window of the game, so have been at the club for in excess of 400 days (both were 18 at the time they signed), and two who joined in the January transfer window of the first season (both 17 years old, and theyve been at the club nealy a year).

Also Laurent Koscielny and Sebastian Squllaci, who have been at the club since the start of the game (and couldnt speak English) still can't speak any English apparantly.

Interestingly, however, for some of these players I am no longer told that they "appear to be having trouble communicating due to the language barrier" by my assistant manager during matches, although it has said that for all of them at some stage. So is it possible that they do speak English but the game is not telling me? Or that they can speak enough to bark football instructions at their teammates, but not enough to be considered able to speak it?

During the first transfer window I sold two players to countries whose language they did not speak, and they both now have that language listed on their personal information screen. I've looked through other teams' transfers and some of the players who moved to a new country in the first transfer window (so have been there approx 450 days) do now have the new language listed, but not nearly as many as I would have expected.

What are other people's experiences of this? Has language learning been slowed down from previous versions? Are my players learning English but the game is failing to list it for some reason? Have I just got unlucky and managed to buy a load of dumb people?

• 3 weeks later...

I@ve noticed this also (along with adapting), maybe it is realistic, maybe not, I'm into Jan 2011:

Kolarov, Zaccardo, Silva: No English

I'm also told that Boateng, Kolarov, A. Johnson and Yaya Toure are still having problems blending into the team. Fair enough the 3 foreigners and Silva has admitted hes struggling IRL, but Adam johnson has been at City a year and although hes not getting a game he does well when he plays, surely he has adapted by now?

Also evey game I'm told Tevez is struggling to motivate himself because of personal issues with me. I made the mistake of swapping him out from Captain ingame as opposed to waiting until you ifinalise your Captain on the news screen - he was unhappy for ages but then released a statement saying he was over it and his status is "enjoying playing for the club" - surely he should have made up with me by now?

Archived