Regen Striker Attribute Development - Potential issue?

Hi all.

I've just played a few seasons with MUFC, and am having a very good time with the game. The following is not a gripe - just something that may or may not be an issue, and I would appreciate any comments the community has to offer.

In 2014/2015, I'm looking to buy some new regen strikers in the 16-19 age range. Building for the future type stuff. So I start going through the youth squads of Brazil, Argentina, Chile, France, England, Italy, Spain etc. etc. The best I can find is a 19 year old striker with finishing of 14 and relatively balanced attributes elsewhere. That seems kind of strange, so I look around some more.

Eventually, I come away with the distinct impression that finishing, in particular, is an enormously underdeveloped attribute for regen strikers - whereas dead ball technical attributes like PKs and long throws are extremely well developed. The ones who have a good attribute for finishing (>15) almost invariably have an extremely poor attribute for dribbling, first touch or both.

Do these attributes develop at a different pace to all others? And how does a talented youth striker who is 18 years old, for example, get a very decent physical attribute distribution, but a 3 (!!) for finishing? His first touch and dribbling are 13 and 14, respectively.

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

EDIT:

I'm referring to an FM11 medium database game with eight nations fully loaded, patched to v11.1

EDIT #2:

To counteract the above points, I've also noticed a relative abundance of very, very high quality regen defenders. Brazil's youth team, for example, can now field three u20 DCs who would walk into any Premier League team, Big Four included, without any hassle. Their attribute development has been insane. On the other hand, there is a dearth of creative, flair-y MCs.

if there is a good striker with low finishing stats then work on it in training. go to the players training page and set individual training focus to finishing

That's fine for players at your club; the question is whether the AI recognises these weaknesses and addresses them through training. If it does not, then the game becomes much easier for the human player.

I have just checked the strikers Brazil has in their U20 (December 2012) and the top strikers are everything I'd expect at the age of 18. Has to be noted though that their finishing seems to be pretty poor, but I'd like to think that all the other stats make up for it especially since you have the option to focus on a specific area to work on now (under the training section of a player). I have a player who is touted the new Jurgen Klinnsman and I am currently attempting to get his finishing up to scratch.

I have also noticed the thing with defenders, but have only checked Brazil, so that might change from nation to nation? But I have found a 19 year old player whom can easily play in the Premier league. My scout did note however that he was almost fully developed, thus he will probably stay slightly above average for the coming 10 - 15 years)

Oh yeah, I can post screenshots if anyone is interested.

Archived