FM11 What past experience do you select?

For the past few version I have been using the International footballer past experience when selecting myself as a new manager. It seems to help getting a performance out of star players at the start of the season. If its true or not im not sure but it certainly feels like it does.

But for FM2011 i decided to select the default experience of automatic.

My brother chose International footballer again.

What past experience do you choose?

Sunday league always. Its perfect for what I do in taking control of a non-league team and seeking the ultimate glory of taking them to Continental champions! :D Its a bit tougher doing it with sunder league in the higher leagues as the press slag you off a bit when you first take over which is demoralising but I feeling like Im cheating if I select a higher reputation :)

SI should change Automatic into Non-footbaling experience so it doesnt read weirdly...

Why? It doesn't do that.

Sunday league gives you a very low reputation meaning only clubs with low reputation will employ you to start with eg lower clubs within the BSN/BSS, clubs from the lowest leagues of the likes of Sweden, Brazil, Indonesia etc.

If you don't have low reputation leagues loaded but select "Sunday League" you will find it difficult to get a job.

Automatic has changed a little over the last couple of versions and I'm not 100% on what it does in FM11 but generally it sets your reputation at either the level of the club you select or at a level that allows you to get a job in the lowest reputation selected playable league. So for instance if you selected Man Utd your reputation would be high getting on for "International Footballer" level

People who say that choosing anything other than automatic is cheating are misguided. I imagine the option to choose your experience is there to make the game (or your early career) relative to who you wish to manage. If it wasn't there, and everyone started as Sunday League, then you wouldn't get as much out of the game when managing a big club from the off, something which I imagine a large proportion of players do. Choosing International footballer isn't bending the rules, it just makes it a lot more realistic and sensible when it comes to choosing a big club.

If I was managing a Blue Square team then I would choose Sunday League, it's all relative!

So to say choosing one over the other is cheating is daft. It's like accusing someone of cheating as they selected "English" as nationality when taking over an English side.

Go forth and play!

To make it clear for those confused with what does "Automatic" mean:

- If you start in a club:

Automatic=Reputation assigned according to the reputation that a coach for that selected team should have. (if you are coaching a premier team, automatic would give you the top reputation, if you are coaching a conference team, automatic would assign you the lowest reputation)

- If you start unemployed:

Automatic=Minimum reputation enough to coach a team in the lowest league selected in the new game creation.

For realism=Automatic, as it will give you the reputation needed for the job you have or the minimum one if you start unemployed.

For any specific goal like over/under archiving then select the one that you prefer.

The reputation will affect the job offers you get, how patient is with you the board, the respect the players and other coaches have for you etc. Of course it is dynamic and it goes up/down with your performance as coach.

Icy I knew that, but I started as Man Utd in the DEMO and chose Automatic, so that should give me top reputation, right?

Yet most of my players were having 'Not good enough to continue the tradition' or something like that. Why is that so?

Cheers.

Automatic, anything else is cheating.

Bit of a silly comment there mate?

what if you wanted to simulate yourself as a manager; some of us on the forums might not all be sunday league footballers. It's also useful for role-playing purposes. So just take a step back and try to understand what the feature is there for, and why other people might want to use it to enhance their experience of the game.

Icy I knew that, but I started as Man Utd in the DEMO and chose Automatic, so that should give me top reputation, right?

Yet most of my players were having 'Not good enough to continue the tradition' or something like that. Why is that so?

Cheers.

Automatic probably gave you the top one, but from the ones you can select, so i think it is "Ex-International player" while Ferguson must have a higher one (probably the max) that you can't select when you start a new game.

Automatic probably gave you the top one, but from the ones you can select, so i think it is "Ex-International player" while Ferguson must have a higher one (probably the max) that you can't select when you start a new game.

Cheers for the explination.

Anyway, I will always use Automatic. :)

I usually choose semi-pro footballer as I used to play semi pro irl.

The only other one I would choose is Sunday league footballer if I was doing one of the save game challenges.

I like to try to keep the game as realistic as possible whereas my career is concerned on the game.

I tried experimenting with international footballer managing a BSN/BSS team but after one or 2 promotions I was being offered prem jobs including man utd! Not very realistic.

Always Sunday league, though it brought me into trouble in previous versions at Prem or Serie A teams, when players "just don't seem to listen" at times".

Have only started 1 save in '11 now, lower league, so Sunday league footballer

Archived