Too many cards SI

Ok, love the game blah blah blah but think that the amount of cards given in quite a few games goes beyond the unrealistic level accepted for a game. My last game compelled me to write this. My team (Ajax) vs Feyenoord. Won the game 4-0 so no complaints there but my team committed only 7 fouls yet i got 4 yellows and a red (the red was 2 yellows). I'm not overly fussed about that, its Feyenoord's team. Ok they are weaker and committed 21 fouls trying to stop my team, but still the team get 9 yellows and 2 reds (both reds were for 2 yellows). As you can tell by the teams, we're not full of destroyer types with poor mental and technical stats or anything. This has been the most card happy game i've had yet its not uncommon to see 4/5 cards a piece in games etc and I wondered if anyone else feels the way I do?

I think it's pretty balanced actually. I remember a Real - Barca irl, 2 reds, and 11 yellows, and I bet there are far worse examples.

EDIT: Maybe theres a few too many yellows, but again, it depends on how you play it. So a change in style might give a hole other perspective of things. So it's a tricky one to rule out.

On the basis of one game I played last night, I agree.

Playing as Burnley against Swansea - With 1:40 gone, Swansea get a red for a supposed professional foul. It didn't really look like he was the last man but still I wasn't complaining. Then not 3 minutes later, my winger commits a "vicious foul on the touchline" Straight red so now it's 10 against 10 after 5 minutes. After, I think 37 minutes, one of our attacks breaks down and a Swansea player just crosses the half way line when my striker 'tackles' him - yellow card. I'm thinking why the heck is my striker the first player on the scene (apart from the deep defender). Then after 63 minutes the exact same thing happens....our attack breaks down, Swansea player crosses halfline and my (admittedly pacy defensive minded) striker is the first one to bring him down. 2nd yellow and we are down to 9 men.

I would be more annoyed but we still won 5-0 - away from home :)

Yh i am. I am enjoing the game but just feel there's too many cards being given out compared to what you see on average in real life. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same really.

Cards have been toned down in patch, but in all honesty IRL there are more and more cards in the games. Especially this season.

Might be due to your tactics too. Lots of factors really.

Yes there are far too many cards, especially straight reds. Happening equally for both me and the opposition but is ruining the realism for me when more than 75% of matches does not end with 11v11.

I am patched up, I am not setting tackling on aggressive and it is not the same ref

On the basis of one game I played last night, I agree.

Playing as Burnley against Swansea - With 1:40 gone, Swansea get a red for a supposed professional foul. It didn't really look like he was the last man but still I wasn't complaining. Then not 3 minutes later, my winger commits a "vicious foul on the touchline" Straight red so now it's 10 against 10 after 5 minutes. After, I think 37 minutes, one of our attacks breaks down and a Swansea player just crosses the half way line when my striker 'tackles' him - yellow card. I'm thinking why the heck is my striker the first player on the scene (apart from the deep defender). Then after 63 minutes the exact same thing happens....our attack breaks down, Swansea player crosses halfline and my (admittedly pacy defensive minded) striker is the first one to bring him down. 2nd yellow and we are down to 9 men.

I would be more annoyed but we still won 5-0 - away from home :)

One game does not evidence make, it's just an anecdote. Also the "last man red card" does not exist in the rules either in real life or in-game. The closest is the denying a goal scoring opportunity red card.

I'm certainly seeing a few more 'referee personalities' in FM11, and there are definitely occasions when the ref loses control of the game and the cards start being flashed for everything. Personally, I think that's a good thing, as it asks the manager some interesting questions.

There seemed to me to be too many cards on the demo; I checked the data from my game against the real-life stats, and the level of cards awarded was significantly higher in FM. I must say that, going on instinct, I'm not seeing the same problems on the patched full game. When I have completed a full season I will be able to compare the figures to get a better idea.

I'm certainly seeing a few more 'referee personalities' in FM11, and there are definitely occasions when the ref loses control of the game and the cards start being flashed for everything. Personally, I think that's a good thing, as it asks the manager some interesting questions.

There have been a few times I substituted my youngsters after just one yellow card and 30 minutes into a European game when the cards were raining. :) I often go for youth over experience, but when it comes to cards, my 29 yr olds can still teach those youngsters a thing or 2. :p

I believe Premiership refs award 1.5 yellows per team per game on average, meaning an average of circa 3 yellows should be shown a game. The strictest Premiership refs average 3.5 yellows per game.

Interestingly, in La Liga, it is 2.5 yellows per team per game, meaning circa 5 should be shown.

I often think the referee flashing the cards is the exact opposite of losing control IRL, and I hardly ever think a referee who is less willing to show them is even remotely close to being in control of the match. But that is outside the topic.

my game after 28 matches have 873 yellow and 58 red cards, against a total of 277 games played giving an average of 3.15 yellows and 0,21reds each game.

compared to real life this season 378 yellow and 23 red cars, against 110 games (11 full rounds) giving an average of 3,44 yellows and 0,21 reds per game.

the stats say that SI have my game atleast spot on :D perhaps there should have been a few more yellow cards (78 to be precise) but hey, i dont mind :)

edit: forgot to add the source of my real life stats; http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics/0,,12306,00.html

This guy is an enigma.

6 matches

8 tackles

4 yellows

He is an AM. His last yellow he was somehow tightly marking the opposing winger far in our own corner on a long pass. Dont know what he was doing in that position. Also, in my trial game right after the game was released, he collected 5 yellows in 7 matches. His dirtiness is only 8. Something must be wrong here. What are the odds that a player with his agg/dirti stats would pick up 9 yellows in 13 matches?

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/bababui_2007/00leighcards2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's the spread of the cards, not the total. ie it's the fact that the referees are not rotating correctly which means you get lumbered with a nutty ref every week. There'll be a complete contrast here, some will be lucky and get refs who let everything go (and therefore presumably won't be complaining) and everyone else who gets the same barmy ref every week and ends the game with 9 players on the field. SORT IT OUT SI. Sort out the massive number of injuries during games as well. Totally unrealistic to have a key player stretchered off every game.

• Administrators

Again with these kinds of issues we really need statistical data to back up any arguments, simply saying "Sort out the massive number of injuries during games as well. Totally unrealistic to have a key player stretchered off every game." really isn't helpful, as you provide no evidence what so ever to prove this is the case.

We're aware of the issue in regards to referees not being rotated often enough and we're looking into it, anything else if you could post in the bugs forum we'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Archived