Just me or did the MLS get kicked in the teeth in 2011?

So I just got the game yesterday and started in the MLS hoping to see improvements from 2010. So far all I've seen is they removed the Youth Academies, removed development contracts, and removed Designated Player slots. I said, while playing 2010, that I thought playing in the MLS was a dumb'ed down version of FM, but now it really is.

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm just not seeing my designated player slot anywhere, but I've checked in the clauses to see if it was traded, I checked current contracts to see if they if one of the players was using it... playing Colorado and thought Claudio Lopez is a designated player irl but not 100% sure... and I looked at what was available for trade (just international slots), so what's the deal? Did you really remove half of what makes the MLS different SI?

I've made offers to a 17 and 18 y/o player outside the league and the only contract option I had was senior contract, no developmental contract, and when you consider the stipulation of only getting to register 20 senior players this really poses a problem especially if you are trying to get some youth in a team since there are no reserve or youth teams. I notice that there are still the GA contracts and I have a player that shows AA in the squad screen if I view contracts but when I look at his player info it just says 'senior contract' again, so what's this?

Granted the Designated Player option is stupid irl, but it's still a big part of the MLS and to totally remove it, to totally remove Youth Academies (not that they were much before), and then the removal of developmental contracts... hell it's going to be hard just to put together a team, let alone rebuild a weak team into something competitive. Seems all the restrictive policies are still there but none of the options the league has to not get destroyed by them.

Seriously, I know most people could care less about the MLS, but there are some of us in the US that like football and know that the MLS getting better is the only way we'll be taken seriously in the football world. But what I'm seeing in 2011 is like a massive middle finger to people that wanted to play MLS teams. SI is telling us they'd rather put time and effort into agents of all things then making the MLS a better play experience, thanks a lot.

I decided to give SI some support by buying 2011... certainly not going to be doing that with 2012 if this is how they 'improve' games.

Edit: So I found it stating there are 3 designated player slots available in the team registration screen with none in use... so why can't I trade them, why don't I see the options for signing new players, and what's up with 3? My understanding is the MLS teams can only have a max of 2, and only 1 without trading for the second but in the transfer center clauses there aren't any listing of traded slots (this is where is showed in 2010). This is so annoying.

Some of your complaints aren't SI's fault, but the reflection of the new changes to the DP slots. Each team now gets two slots, and they're no longer tradable (this was changed in the offseason last year and was in effect all season this year); New York got paid off a bit to compensate for a trade for one of Chivas USA's slots last year, and Donovan is no longer grandfathered in (LA needs to use a DP slot for him to keep his salary up). Additionally, each team can get a third DP by paying a $250,000 fee to the league (which is broken up amongst all the teams without a third DP). Colorado aren't currently using a DP; the only ones left in the playoffs are Donovan, Beckham, and Geovanni. Lopez WAS a DP for the Wizards back in 2008, but not anymore.

Not sure on the IP slots, but SI have it right according to the new DP rules.

Thanks for the reply Magnakai, that is very insightful. So I apologize to SI for the DP issues, they have that right.

Still very annoyed with other things though, especially the Youth Academies... I was really hoping for more interaction with them, not them disappearing and just becoming a notation in your facilities list. With all the MLS regulations it's hard to get some youth without some kind of youth team.

Thanks for the reply Magnakai, that is very insightful. So I apologize to SI for the DP issues, they have that right.

Still very annoyed with other things though, especially the Youth Academies... I was really hoping for more interaction with them, not them disappearing and just becoming a notation in your facilities list. With all the MLS regulations it's hard to get some youth without some kind of youth team.

Not a problem! The other change was lowering the amount that a DP costs under the cap from $415,000 to $335,000; that gives you more cap flexibility, but also means you have to pay more out of your budget towards the DP's salary. They also made the rule permanent (previously, it was set to expire this season).

I think with youth academies (and I'm not sure about this, since while I live in the U.S. I don't play any saves based here) the issue becomes that no MLS club really has a youth academy in the same way that a traditional European club does (DC United and Columbus have academies, but they develop overall talent, and there's no way - as far as I know - to tie that to a club); removing those, too, would reflect the real-life situation in the league.

Maybe if agents were really that big of a change, sure. But they aren't, it's just a bit of fluff. Making better ME AI and animations would be a change for the better for all that would make sense (yes they did some of that, don't know how much though because it's so hard just to get my team started).

The fact is you don't REMOVE features like the academies... ok you don't have time to increase the implementation, fine... but don't just take them out, that's going backwards.

But the bottom line is, if you aren't going to give all the leagues fair attention then don't include them all.

surely you can see why si would spend time working on a feature everyone can use rather some league specific stuff about ten people actually play lol

Im sure many many people play in Britain/Europe with the MLS, let alone the amount of people in the USA that would play it so I think thats not a very educated comment in all fairness

surely you can see why si would spend time working on a feature everyone can use rather some league specific stuff about ten people actually play lol

MLS is actually a good challenge and many people have succesful saves there so not sure what you are getting at?

I think with youth academies (and I'm not sure about this, since while I live in the U.S. I don't play any saves based here) the issue becomes that no MLS club really has a youth academy in the same way that a traditional European club does (DC United and Columbus have academies, but they develop overall talent, and there's no way - as far as I know - to tie that to a club); removing those, too, would reflect the real-life situation in the league.

A few months ago I was talking about things like this with another guy here, in hopes of a better MLS experience. He was saying the specific rules are, along the lines, that MLS teams can call-up up to 2 players from their academy teams (ie un-drafted players), and I do know for a fact that Colorado did do this a while before the playoffs. In-game I'm sure we'll see the influx of newgens at the start of each season from having academies like in 2010. But This is still a step backwards by removing what they had, they just needed to create a little more interaction with the academies to have a farm system like they are in reality. Sure you can still send your young players out on loans to affiliates, I just see it as a step backwards when new versions should be going forwards... and no I really don't see the agent implementation as a meaningful step forward and that's one of the biggest changes in 2011.

Didn't MLS announce that all clubs must have youth academies, includinge the expansion teams in Vancouver, Portland, and Montreal coming in? Why take them out if it's now mandatory for the actual league?

Sorry to be picky, but it's my pet hate!

The phrase isn't "could care less" it's "couldN'T care less".

Ie, I could quite easily care less about world poverty.

I couldn't care less about Kerry Katona.

Apparently 'I could care less' is American. Although some say its used sarcastically or ironically. It makes sense that it is 'I coudn't care less' Anyway... enough of this impromptu English Language lesson :)

Edit: So I found it stating there are 3 designated player slots available in the team registration screen with none in use... so why can't I trade them, why don't I see the options for signing new players, and what's up with 3? My understanding is the MLS teams can only have a max of 2, and only 1 without trading for the second but in the transfer center clauses there aren't any listing of traded slots (this is where is showed in 2010). This is so annoying.

That got changed in the new collective bargaining agreement that took effect before the 2010 season.

Edit: Just spotted Magnakai listed the changes.

As for MLS, Toronto uses their Academy extensively. They've signed at least one, and I believe it was two at the end of the season, of their academy players to senior contracts (Lindsey and Henry).

IIRC, Houston has signed 2 academy players.

And Juan Aguedelo (who had a coming out party in this year's playoffs) came through RBNY's academy (as did Jozy Altidore)

let alone the amount of people in the USA that would play it so I think thats not a very educated comment in all fairness

To be fair, I have never once in my life so much as loaded the MLS in any version of CM/FM since it began being included...can't remember when that was. Although I attend matches as for me living here it is better than nothing, I find it very difficult to actually get into the league or care for any of the teams.

There is one exception. The Seattle Sounders FC are the closest thing to a real football club the MLS has and the fans in Seattle rival those in Europe, Brazil, and Argentina with their passion. The Pacific Northwest region of the United States(which includes the cities of Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver in Canada) is the only region in the entire country where football(not American football) is the most popular sport. A little known fact that even most Americans aren't aware of.

Too bad I don't live in Seattle otherwise I would attend every match. Instead I get to attend FC Dallas matches and sit next to parents with their 5 year olds out on "family day" For somebody used to the intensity of a real football match it can be quite frustrating to say the least.

Yeah I actually just came here and searched around if anyone else noticed this. The MLS has always been a fun league to play due to the....quirkiness. Every year SI really ironed it out and made it better and better, but now- I don't know. I really wanted to play it due to my hometown (Philadelphia) now getting a team. It's just... yeah, seems like a major step backward.

To be fair, I have never once in my life so much as loaded the MLS in any version of CM/FM since it began being included...can't remember when that was. Although I attend matches as for me living here it is better than nothing, I find it very difficult to actually get into the league or care for any of the teams.

There is one exception. The Seattle Sounders FC are the closest thing to a real football club the MLS has and the fans in Seattle rival those in Europe, Brazil, and Argentina with their passion. The Pacific Northwest region of the United States(which includes the cities of Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver in Canada) is the only region in the entire country where football(not American football) is the most popular sport. A little known fact that even most Americans aren't aware of.

Too bad I don't live in Seattle otherwise I would attend every match. Instead I get to attend FC Dallas matches and sit next to parents with their 5 year olds out on "family day" For somebody used to the intensity of a real football match it can be quite frustrating to say the least.

Nah, Flounders fanboys are a bunch of frontrunners. Didn't show up when they had a second division team (unlike Portland). And their OMG SUCH A GREAT FANBASE had less than 11,000 show up for some dead games in the Champions League.

Dallas' problems are the same ones showing up with Colorado and even Chicago. Stadiums in the suburbs don't work. Seattle and Toronto have stadiums in the urban center, and that's helping them draw their core audience.

Nah, Flounders fanboys are a bunch of frontrunners. Didn't show up when they had a second division team (unlike Portland). And their OMG SUCH A GREAT FANBASE had less than 11,000 show up for some dead games in the Champions League.

Dallas' problems are the same ones showing up with Colorado and even Chicago. Stadiums in the suburbs don't work. Seattle and Toronto have stadiums in the urban center, and that's helping them draw their core audience.

Seattle's fans are without question some of the most passionate in the United States.

http://www.examiner.com/soccer-in-seattle/sounders-fans-set-new-mls-attendance-mark-with-36-173-per-match-average

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/386093-sounders-setting-standard-for-2010-mls-attendance

Portland fans are as well which is why I am so excited about them joining the league. Plus with Vancouver in the league as well the only corner of the U.S. with true football fans will have their own regional rivalry.

I totally agree with you about the suburbs thing. It does help though that Seattle and Toronto are much more urban cities than Dallas which is basically one big sprawiling suburb the size of Rhode Island. Chicago is a nice urban city as well so I'm suprised they would build a stadium way out in the burbs.

Either way, regardless of where the stadium is built you have to look at the culture of the place. Like I said before the Pacific Northwest embraces football (soccer) as their #1 sport while in the rest of the country it is #5 or #4 at best. I know that here FC Dallas could never compete with the Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, or even the Dallas Stars for supporters. Same with Chicago and the Bears/Cubs/White Sox, New England with the Patriots/Red Sox...you get the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, started unemployed (as I always do) and for the first time, the club that I started out with was San Jose in the MLS.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a player my designated player! I have had some chances to hire some higher priced players in which that would be very helpful, and it would also be helpful in my second season to make one of my high salaried guys a DP, but I can't see the option - How do you do that???

OK, started unemployed (as I always do) and for the first time, the club that I started out with was San Jose in the MLS.

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make a player my designated player! I have had some chances to hire some higher priced players in which that would be very helpful, and it would also be helpful in my second season to make one of my high salaried guys a DP, but I can't see the option - How do you do that???

The board will only allow DP contracts to players who they deem are of DP quality.

another thing I just finished my first season and I noticed my wage cap remains exactly the same? I believe irl the wage cap is to be reviewed and probably increased a little each year... also I had a problem with the pan pacific championship, I have 9 international slots on my team and 8 are in use I could not fiedl a team with only 3 internationals, the only way I could go on was to go on holiday for the games and lost both of them horribly.

Yeah, the MLS is tough. Due to the wage cap, I ended up only being able to carry 5 subs. I have had games with injuries and red cards where I had to play my GK as a midfielder! Also, matches where 3 of my starters were called up to international matches and I just had no one to fill those positions!

yes. getting a dp is tough. its not even about how good the player is but about their reputation level. i had flamini and anelka as my dps in one save. basically all you can get are the old superstars on the downward end of their careers.

Would this still be true on FM11 with the dynamic league rep surely you could attract a better class of player eventually.

Archived