How could this be possibly be called offside? What was the linesman doing?

Just wondering if Dominguez is behind the goal line when the ball is played. I haven't got my "rule brain" on right now, but if he is I think he's out of play, meaning only the 'keeper is active and your number 22 is then offside.

It's hard to tell in 2D, but it looks like he is actually in play but I'm just offering one potential explanation.

It's not because he is behind the line (which he isn't) that he isn't "active". Would be a neat trick to put someone offside otherwise, don't you think?

Well to be honest if he's out of play then he's not involved in the game in terms of the rule. Same as an injured player receiving treatment behind the post wouldn't be playing people onside. So perhaps the game misconstrued the offside trap due to this.

It's similar to the odd occasion you get attackers coming on from the touchline and running on to a ball that happened a few years back - because he's not running from an active position on field then he's not offside. Think that's been rectified by having the referee wave people on to the pitch following treatment.

I'm just offering it as one potential explanation why the game registered it as offside; not that it'd be "right" - in fact, it'd be a bug. A 3D view of the incident would prove it definitively ofc.

Just wondering if Dominguez is behind the goal line when the ball is played. I haven't got my "rule brain" on right now, but if he is I think he's out of play, meaning only the 'keeper is active and your number 22 is then offside.

It's hard to tell in 2D, but it looks like he is actually in play but I'm just offering one potential explanation.

I'm pretty sure that if Dominguez is out of play without the ref's permission, he's still part of the game and still counts (Ruud van Nistelrooy scored a goal in Euro 2008 like that).

Dominguez was actually just marking the far post, did not move until the goal was scored..seems to remember there was a goal not given in the recent world cup in africa due to offside because the scorer was behind the goalkeeper but there was another defender further than the keeper..nvm..but for this case Dominguez is certainly on the field, just marking the far post

the scorer was behind the goalkeeper but there was another defender further than the keeper..nvm..but for this case Dominguez is certainly on the field, just marking the far post

That makes it regular offside. It doesn't matter whether the keeper is the last man or the another player.

That makes it regular offside. It doesn't matter whether the keeper is the last man or the another player.

yeah I thought so, was never aware of the rule until I watched the replay of the incident in the world cup a few times...

still bitter I got robbed by the ref :(

Dominguez was actually just marking the far post, did not move until the goal was scored..seems to remember there was a goal not given in the recent world cup in africa due to offside because the scorer was behind the goalkeeper but there was another defender further than the keeper..nvm..but for this case Dominguez is certainly on the field, just marking the far post

I think there was one like that in the opening match, where Mexico had a goal (rightly) ruled out for offside, only to have Efan Ekoku go on a ten minute harangue about how poor the officiating at this World Cup had started off being...only to come back after halftime to meekly apologize for not understanding the rule. I remember the rant more than the specifics of the incident, though. :D

Archived