How in the world do the Greek leagues work?

I am in Second division and finished 6th. Now, I understand how the top 2 get promoted, and from 3rd to 6th, they go to a group stage where the first one gets promoted.

However, I see in the group stage how Ionikos, who ended third, has two points after tying with me...while I have one?? Do they get one extra point for being the third team? Everybody else has according points. I have no idea what's going on.

Also, could someone tell me how the european competitions group stage for Greek first division works? I see teams from 2nd to 5th in a group stage, but don't know what they get...

Wikipedia has an explanation of the Champions League playoff

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superleague_Greece :

In the play-off for the UEFA Champions League, the teams play each other in a home and away round robin. However, they do not all start with 0 points. Instead, a weighting system applies to the teams' standing at the start of the play-off mini-league. The team finishing fifth in the Superleague will start the play off with 0 points. The fifth place team’s end of season tally of points is used to calculate the sum of the points that other teams will have. The point difference of each of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th team from the fifth place team is then divided by five(if the result is a decimal number it is then rounded to a full number, with .5 or more being rounded up) and the resulting number respectively for each team is the number of points with which they will start the mini-league.

My guess is that the promotion playoff works in the same way (except, obviously, it's the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th placed teams)

So I guess the team that finished third were more than 2 (and fewer than 8) points ahead of the team who finished sixth, while 4th and 5th weren't. That'd round to one extra point for the team in third and none for the others.

Archived