Foreign newgens arriving in youth squad without a work permit (is this a bug?)

I've just completed my first season with Arsenal, and had my first bunch of youth players arrive. The best two of them are American and a Vietnamese (they both look very good for fresh newgens), and neither of them have British or any EU second nationality (which is what would happen in previous versions). So these guys are in my under-18 squad and don't have work permits.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Is it supposed to happen? It didn't in previous versions, so either the decision has been made that it should happen (I can't imagine this situation occuring in real life. Are you even allowed to import 15 year olds from Vietnam to work?!) or it is an oversight on the part of the developers and should perhaps be reported as a bug.

What should I do? Send them to a feeder club for the first three years (where they won't get trained as well as they would with me, and they probably won't play and games)? Or hold on to them and train them at home and hope there's no complications with renewing contracts and stuff? Does anyone know what will happen when I renew their contracts?

Can't offer a contract at the moment, the players won't negotiate since they've "only recently signed a new deal". Gonna loan them out to Belgium just before the end of the transfer window, and hope they're good enough to get some games.

Are they actually showing as needing a work permit? Have to admit off the top of my head that I can't remember the rules for 16 year-olds with regards to work permits. You'll have got those newgens because of the affiliates Arsenal have, but it might be that it should be restricted to EU only affiliates.

If you could upload a save game to our FTP with them in as early as possible that would be great, cheers.

The Vietnamese one has finally been persuaded to sign a senior contract when he turns 17, but that's quite far away in-game, so it'll be a couple of (real-world) days before I can get there and find out what happens, although I'd assume it will just be the same as when signing any young non-EU player, and I'll have to send him to Belgium for 3 years. I can't do that at the moment cos youth players can't be loaned.

Are they actually showing as needing a work permit? Have to admit off the top of my head that I can't remember the rules for 16 year-olds with regards to work permits. You'll have got those newgens because of the affiliates Arsenal have, but it might be that it should be restricted to EU only affiliates.

If you could upload a save game to our FTP with them in as early as possible that would be great, cheers.

Yeah, they are both shown as needing a work permit, and can't be selected for matches (they don't have any non-competitive appearances in their stats so I assume they can't be selected for U18 matches either). One of the auto-saves is from the August after they appeared so I will upload that when I get a moment in case it is helpful.

The Vietnamese one has finally been persuaded to sign a senior contract when he turns 17, but that's quite far away in-game, so it'll be a couple of (real-world) days before I can get there and find out what happens, although I'd assume it will just be the same as when signing any young non-EU player, and I'll have to send him to Belgium for 3 years. I can't do that at the moment cos youth players can't be loaned.

Yeah, they are both shown as needing a work permit, and can't be selected for matches (they don't have any non-competitive appearances in their stats so I assume they can't be selected for U18 matches either). One of the auto-saves is from the August after they appeared so I will upload that when I get a moment in case it is helpful.

Cheers, let me know what it's called when you've uploaded it.

Archived