Fairytale FA cup run

I have just had an amazing fa cup run with my Burnham side in league 1 in 2012/1013.

In the third round i got a home tie against rochdale and won comfortably 3-0.

In the 4th round i got a home tie against preston who are top of the championship, i was suprised to win 3-1.

In the 5th round i got Portsmouth at home, i was 1-0 up before having my captain sent off and falling 3-1 behind at half time, i changed formation and somehow scored 2 late goals to earn a replay.

A battling performance got me into extra time and in the second half of extra time i scored and sealed the match.

i got a quarter final tie away at arsenal and knew that this should be the end of my cup run.

However i somehow drew 1-1 at the emirates and earned a replay.

I took a shock early lead at was 1-0 up at half time but Walcott equalised to send the game into extra time. i was still equal at the end of added time and went to penalities.

amazingly fabregas and walcott missed which gave me an incredible victory and gave me a semi final tie against manchester utd. icon_biggrin.gif

It took just 1 minute for Rooney to score for man utd but i still believed and scored a equaliser just after half time, i was so close to extra time when vidic scored in the 79th minute to win the tie for man utd. icon_frown.gif

I couldnt believe that i got to the semis and beat arsenal and portsmouth on the way.

Has anybody else had a cup run with a lower league side?

I have just had an amazing fa cup run with my Burnham side in league 1 in 2012/1013.

In the third round i got a home tie against rochdale and won comfortably 3-0.

In the 4th round i got a home tie against preston who are top of the championship, i was suprised to win 3-1.

In the 5th round i got Portsmouth at home, i was 1-0 up before having my captain sent off and falling 3-1 behind at half time, i changed formation and somehow scored 2 late goals to earn a replay.

A battling performance got me into extra time and in the second half of extra time i scored and sealed the match.

i got a quarter final tie away at arsenal and knew that this should be the end of my cup run.

However i somehow drew 1-1 at the emirates and earned a replay.

I took a shock early lead at was 1-0 up at half time but Walcott equalised to send the game into extra time. i was still equal at the end of added time and went to penalities.

amazingly fabregas and walcott missed which gave me an incredible victory and gave me a semi final tie against manchester utd. icon_biggrin.gif

It took just 1 minute for Rooney to score for man utd but i still believed and scored a equaliser just after half time, i was so close to extra time when vidic scored in the 79th minute to win the tie for man utd. icon_frown.gif

I couldnt believe that i got to the semis and beat arsenal and portsmouth on the way.

Has anybody else had a cup run with a lower league side?

• SI Staff

No way as good as that, managing AFC Wimbledon in the Conference South on FM 2006 (LAST YEAR) and getting them to the third round of the F.A Cup was one of best highlights. Newcastle United who we drew in the cup, at home. What a draw!!! They played there kids though (so realistic) and we went 1-0 up, thought we could hang on but they brought on Alan Shearer, who in 5 minutes scored. Damn! lol

So a replay at St. James Park, how cool is that! Well chuffed. And brought a new signing for the game Jude Sterling, free-kick in the second minute of the game, he goes up for it and heads it in the back of the net. Quality 1-0 up against Newcastle United with AFC Wimbledon!!! Bad luck was about to come because we lost the game 3-1. Realistic though and FOOTBALL MANAGER best game around by far!

I use a 4-1-3-2 formation.

Emphasis: normal

passing: short

Tackling: hard

Pressing: yes

Offside trap: no

Counter Attack: no

Men behind ball: no

Individual instructions.

Passing: set to team

Tackling: team

Pressing : defenders yes, everybody else team

Pass to: all set to r/l/c

Set pieces A: DL and DR set to back, GK normal, rest of the team forward

Set piece D: Gk normal, all defenders back, DMC back, middle midfielder and 1st striker back, wide midfielders normal, second striker foward.

Free role: middle midfielder yes, all others no

Foward runs: DL/DR yes, 3 MC yes and strikers yes

Run with ball: DL/DR yes, 3 MC and strikers yes.

Hold up ball: Strikers yes

Long shots: 3 MC and strikers yes.

Through balls: 3 MC yes

Cross ball: DL/DR yes, 3 MC yes

Marking: DL/DR zonal, DC/DC both man, DMC zonal, middle MC zonal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived