fm 2011 is running dangerously low on memory.

I don´t know what happened to my fm 2011 but yesterday morning i played for 2 hours and everything was alright and when i started at night i did get the message that fm 2011 was running low on memory. Who can help me.

I am running the steam version with new patch installed. i,ve got 6 gigs of ram installed

You're not mentioning what operative system you're using. Unless it's 64 bit the system won't recognize your memory if it's more than 3Gb. Usually when you run out of memory it might be down to several things:

1) You have background programs running that are using up precious memory.

1b) One or more of these background programs are leaking memory. If you're using Windows Vista/7 I suggest you turn off widgets for example. They might be small and convenient but some of them leak memory like my ol' grandma.

2) You're running out of virtual memory due to lack of space on your harddrive. Free up some space, alternatively you can set Windows to increase the virtual memory automatically.

3) You can also reboot the computer and see if that helps. Sometimes if a PC is on for any length of time (especially one with Windows installed) memory leaks and disappears into the void without any explanation.

Another tip is to get a 'memory tune-up' program. It releases any free memory that the system might need for the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for responding, yes i´m using windows 7 ultimate 64bit version. I tried the things you said, but i have still the same problem.

I will contact STEAM for this.

Same problem for me !! After about 8 matches played it flashes up low on memory but doesn't allow a save,so you press ok and the game crashes !! Never had this problem with previous versions or the FM11 demo. I'm running 3gb of memory with 32bit Vista and have tried various game boosters which switch off background applications and ram re-claimers but nothing works. The only solution is to save and re-boot after approx every 5 matches played ! I have also deleted the cache file but that didn't help either !! My version is DVD so I suggest it's not an issue with Steam.

• 2 months later...

Actually, I'm pretty sure its FM2011 that has the memory leak.

If you start task manager, go to the processes tab, and turn on columns like commit size and private working space, you can see that the numbers for the fm exe both continuously increase. You can see it while the game is basically doing nothing while you alt-tabed out to go look at task manager. Sit there and watch, and you'll see both numbers go up continuously while the game is running in the background. And, certainly, if you alt-tab out of the game periodically, you can see these numbers go from around 600k to 1300k to some 1800k or more ....which is about when the game crashes on my system.

This is why you can run for about five matches or so. That's how long its taking the memory leak in the game to go from the number at which it loads up to the point where the amount of memory this game is claiming is so great that it crashes the game. If you played your matches at a slower speed, or spent extra time looking for signings between games, you'll get fewer matches between crashes because the game is leaking memory the whole time.

You can close some little 50k program in memory in the background. That'll buy you a few more minutes between crashes due to some extra memory. But, the game will still crash when the memory leak in the game grabs that extra 50k. No matter how many little utils you close in the background, the game will leak until its grabbed all the memory and still crash.

Classic sig of a memory leak in a program.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys, I have experienced this kind of problem recently. It was first time after I ve played FM for more than 10 yrs.

I have done many things until I am able to play it again last night. I am not 100% sure which action that really correct the problem anyway I would like to share all you.

1. I changed my visual memory -- not help

2. I downloaded Game booster -- not help

3. uninstall and reinstall FM -- not help

4. delete C:\Documents and Settings\XXX***\My Documents\Sports Interactive -- not help

5. delete "C:\Documents and Settings\XXX***\Application Data\Sports Interactive" -- Bravo!!!

*** I deleted this folder from every 'user name' so I strongly advise you to do the same.***

Hope this help.

• 1 year later...
Guys, I have experienced this kind of problem recently. It was first time after I ve played FM for more than 10 yrs.

I have done many things until I am able to play it again last night. I am not 100% sure which action that really correct the problem anyway I would like to share all you.

1. I changed my visual memory -- not help

2. I downloaded Game booster -- not help

3. uninstall and reinstall FM -- not help

4. delete C:\Documents and Settings\XXX***\My Documents\Sports Interactive -- not help

5. delete "C:\Documents and Settings\XXX***\Application Data\Sports Interactive" -- Bravo!!!

*** I deleted this folder from every 'user name' so I strongly advise you to do the same.***

Hope this help.

Hats off to you sir, i have been looking for a way of solving this problem for months, as he says just delete the application data folder for fm 2011 and it loads straight away!

thumbs up!!!

Cheers

Just as an alternative solution to others that may have this problem.

Where the running dangerously low on memory prompt & shutdown happens on the same game date, and you can't get past it, retiring your manager and adding a new manager solves the problem.

I've no idea why this works (I'm still on my FM05 save, so can't guarantee it still does, but I don't see why they would change this), but it has rescued two seemingly dead saves for me (actually the same seemingly dead save in 2038 and 2108).

Obviously this would get tedious if the memory failure happens a couple of weeks into a new game - but if, like me, it happens when your manager's in his mid 60s, then it makes sense in game to retire him, and continue the dynasty as one of his descendants.

probably just needed to verify the game cache through steam.

There's support for steam around these here forums. With some things to try within steam to get the game working as expected.

Archived