Waiting till Patch 3

A few months ago I made a decision to wait until patch number 3 before buying FM11, I made a deal with myself that if feedback was what a perceived to be good then I would relent and buy it earlier. However as 5/11/10 approached I was getting weaker and weaker and was very close to breaking my deal and buying the game on release day, I was like a kid at Christmas. After reading the feedback I now think not buying it was one of the best decisions of my life.

Please don’t get me wrong I appreciate that for some people this game is still the business and many an hour will be lost playing it. The problem for me is for the last few years the same things have ruined the game for me. Injury problems (always seems to be my best players and players who play in the same position i.e. all my forwards will be out at the same time), player and media interaction is a pain and most importantly the tactics and ME seem like you need a degree to understand and link. I appreciate the last point is partly my fault as I can no longer dedicate hours a day to the game due to family commitments. I just find it infuriating that my team will go 10 games unbeaten and then without changing anything won’t win another game for months.

The biggest problem however is the bugs, this year the Spanish suspension seems to be the biggy. Now by patch 3 most of these should be fixed and the game will also be cheaper. Its Ok people on here saying don’t buy the game but it is not that simple as it is easy to sucked into the excitement and when the reviews don’t mention the bugs you believe everything is OK and make a purchase. You are then stuck as no retailer I know will accept a game back due to bugs. Just imagine how angry you would be if your were Spanish and in effect could not play a proper game until weeks after you bought the game.

Anyway my point is there are many people on here who start threads like, same old problems. Why don’t these people follow my lead and not buy the game on release day and wait until it is ‘fixed’ to an appropriate level. Use your own definition of ‘fixed’ and use feedback on here and other forums as a guide. I think if enough of us don’t buy the game then it will hit SI in the pocket and they will have to start releasing the game as close to perfect as possible. However on the flip side if not many of us do relent then we will have to accept it is us not the game!

You money, your choice - so don't buy it and wait.

On the other hand - congratulations for that, I couldn't gather enough willpower to resist having the game on day one, even if I didn't play the demo or if feedback would be disastotous...

I think if enough of us don’t buy the game then it will hit SI in the pocket and they will have to start releasing the game as close to perfect as possible. However on the flip side if not many of us do relent then we will have to accept it is us not the game!

I think that the people who would consider not buying the game immediately due to bugs are very much the minority and i'm not sure how much it would affect SI, if at all.

waiting till patch 3 haha

so no hope that patch 2 will even sort out the problems?

and imo only the spanish suspension issue needs sorting out and that could be a hotfix within a week, all this talk of missing one on ones and too many long shots (people really need to watch more real life football)

Get a grip here, this is by far the GREATEST release to date, Don't listen to everyone's feedback on the game because people don't always get it right and if we listened to everyone's opinion we wouldn't get anywhere.

All I'm going to say is this:

Who is more likely to register on this forum and post?

a) a person who bought the game, is happy with everything and merrily spends their time beating the crap out of their league rivals?

OR

b) a disgruntled teenager, who, when experiencing even the tiniest problem with his game, will seek any opportunity to unleash his wrath, because he doesn't realize nobody cares?

Think about it. It's quite obvious that there will ALWAYS be more complaining than praise, regardless of whether it's Football Manager 2011, the latest model of a breadmaker or an XXL tub of brand new SexyTime lube (now with more petroleum jelly and still only 1 kcal!).

Go online and pick a random product, read a professional review, then go to user reviews. 80% of the user reviews will be just pure rage because some moron bought something, doesn't know how to use it, and rather than accept his own lack of intellectual prowess he will chose to blame the manufacturer for all the evil in the world.

This is how it works.

Why do people make these dramatic posts about how they aren't playing the game and the reasons why? If you don't want to play the game, fine, just wait until it's up to your standards. Great.

I mean should the rest of us each make a long, drawn out post on how much we like the game? And how our girlfiends like it? And our neighbors like it? ANd our dogs like it?

Some people are saying FM11 is polished? Fair enough if you think it is the best game to date then that is your opinion so fair enough. But to say it is polished? FM10 could be described as polished, but there is not a word further from the truth that could describe FM11. I am not saying it is rubbish or anything like that, but it is certainly not polished by any means.

a) a person who bought the game, is happy with everything and merrily spends their time beating the crap out of their league rivals?

OR

b) a disgruntled teenager, who, when experiencing even the tiniest problem with his game, will seek any opportunity to unleash his wrath, because he doesn't realize nobody cares?

Think about it. It's quite obvious that there will ALWAYS be more complaining than praise, regardless of whether it's Football Manager 2011, the latest model of a breadmaker or an XXL tub of brand new SexyTime lube (now with more petroleum jelly and still only 1 kcal!).

Go online and pick a random product, read a professional review, then go to user reviews. 80% of the user reviews will be just pure rage because some moron bought something, doesn't know how to use it, and rather than accept his own lack of intellectual prowess he will chose to blame the manufacturer for all the evil in the world.

This is how it works.

Hi guys, my first post. Totally agree with you Riffraff.

IMO FM11 is the best one for last 4 years[ didn't play it before]

Only thing what bothers me is the spanish bug, apart from that game is great.

I am in a similar boat to Zulu.

I'm still enjoying my FM10 save and at 34 would rather wait for the finished version rather than waiting for all issues to be fixed before being able to play properly. I really enjoyed playing the demo for FM11, and agree with other posters on here that it looks a lot more polished, the 3d looks great, and the agents look like a fantastic addition.

I was away over the weekend and got back early yesterday and almost bought it on the way home. However, I logged on to the forum to see the general reaction to the game, and the first thread I read was the Spanish suspension bug. This thread also contained the French suspension bug that affects international suspensions in the domestic league. Another thread I opened had a defender bug (where the defenders run away from the ball allowing a striker to score) that I had posted in the bugs forum and uploaded a pkm file that hasn't been fixed.

It puts me off to be honest - especially as we get ripped off in Oz.

Simple reason is that if enough people post the same thing then issues are more likely to get fixed. If we sat in silence then nothing would happen.

Also same as above if you don't like it then don't read the thread, the title is self explanatory and easy enough to avoid.

Why do people make these dramatic posts about how they aren't playing the game and the reasons why? If you don't want to play the game, fine, just wait until it's up to your standards. Great.

I mean should the rest of us each make a long, drawn out post on how much we like the game? And how our girlfiends like it? And our neighbors like it? ANd our dogs like it?

Have to say I don't post often on these forums - and that's due to the fact that I buy the game every year and happily play it.

I always come on here to check for the updates on the patches and download them when they're released.

If I do find bugs then I'll come on here and post them if they've not been brought up already. Have to say though that I find this years version great - just seems a lot more 'complete' to me. I know there'll be bugs (as there is with every release) but I'm not sure how many of them will affect me. Some times the bugs forum can look daunting but then you may never come across most of them in all your time of playing.

As you are on this forum and have posted do you fall into b) then?

It seems to me that there are plenty of people on here that like the game so your theory below does not ring true. I can see your point with regard to pointless ramblings from people but there are plenty of people who post about not liking the game who are not just spitting their dummy out. They post interlectual arguments and no doubt the information they provide helps SI improve the game for future release.

To dismiss these people as tantruming teenages is naive in the extreme.

OR

This is how it works.

It seems to me that there are plenty of people on here that like the game so your theory below does not ring true

I've been lurking on this forum for some 4 - 5 years now. With every single release of FM this board gets invaded by a bunch of people, who simply want to moan, complain or publicly demonstrate how angry they are, and how SI have 'disgraced' themselves by relseasing a 'pathetic' game with a 'ridicoulous' number of bugs. Every single year. I'll go even further and say that a great majority of 'feedback' posted in 'General Discussion' is absolutely worthless, because if someone wants to report a genuine issue they will right away go to the 'Bugs' forum.

Back to the topic though - what purpose does your post serve? I'm under an impression you just wanted to make this dramatic statement about how you are not going to buy the game for now. I'm sure SI are now going to go under or at least experience years of financial strife. To make things much worse for SI, you should have also threatened that you are going to tell all your friends not to buy the latest FM :)

Seriously though - what was your intention when you opened this thread? I don't see any valuable feedback in there, apart from possibly hoping one of the SI staff members will come running to apologize, assure it will never happen again, pat you on the back and say 'there, there'.

Simple reason is that if enough people post the same thing then issues are more likely to get fixed. If we sat in silence then nothing would happen.

Also same as above if you don't like it then don't read the thread, the title is self explanatory and easy enough to avoid.

Very wrong. You only need to post the possible bugs in your own thread once in the bug forum and it will get looked at at some point. Some people are just drama queens

Funnily enough my post was actually meant as a way of stopping all these people complaining year after year at the same problems. A lot of what I read always states that the game in unplayable until Patch 3. My point was that if enough people who bought the game on release day waited until patch 3 then SI would need to address the matter of releasing a buggy game. However if we did this and the game still hit the top of the charts then the game is obviously very playable and the people who complain need to forget about it and move on.

It was not intended as feedback to SI more to the complainers.

As for your post I don't appreciate the patronising tone of it, I posted a thread that did not need to be read by anybody not interested in the matter. You say that the general discussion thread is mostly full of rubbish and I agree but there are more than a few gems in here which give a very good balenced view of the game.

I've been lurking on this forum for some 4 - 5 years now. With every single release of FM this board gets invaded by a bunch of people, who simply want to moan, complain or publicly demonstrate how angry they are, and how SI have 'disgraced' themselves by relseasing a 'pathetic' game with a 'ridicoulous' number of bugs. Every single year. I'll go even further and say that a great majority of 'feedback' posted in 'General Discussion' is absolutely worthless, because if someone wants to report a genuine issue they will right away go to the 'Bugs' forum.

Back to the topic though - what purpose does your post serve? I'm under an impression you just wanted to make this dramatic statement about how you are not going to buy the game for now. I'm sure SI are now going to go under or at least experience years of financial strife. To make things much worse for SI, you should have also threatened that you are going to tell all your friends not to buy the latest FM :)

Seriously though - what was your intention when you opened this thread? I don't see any valuable feedback in there, apart from possibly hoping one of the SI staff members will come running to apologize, assure it will never happen again, pat you on the back and say 'there, there'.

True but the more people that feedback on that issue the quicker it will be looked into.

Very wrong. You only need to post the possible bugs in your own thread once in the bug forum and it will get looked at at some point. Some people are just drama queens

Archived