If we really want FM to be arealistic and a simulation....

If we really want it to be realistic and a simulation then I must say, the "Pause Match" button should be changed.

I see, on these forums, a large proportion of people wanting to the game to be "more accurate" or more "realistic". Like players stats are wrong or interactions are unbelievable and so on.

Which manager in real life can; pause time and make a myriad of tactical decisions, undo them, redo them, check a players acceleration rating (etc), view all the match stats, view player heat maps, average positions, every single pass undertaken, etc., and then, continue on from where the ball was midflight.

Wouldn't it be more accurate and realistic, if when one pressed "Pause" the match would go to a state where one couldn't actually manipulate anything tactically or look at anything, perhaps just seeing a Pause screen with general game tooltips and pointers? Then one can answer the phone, go to toilet etc. and return and play after un-pausing the game.

The actual match while doing tactics or anything, should never slow down to a pace slower that real life speed, just like real life.

Do you agree with that or is that too realistic, taking away form the fact that it is a game in the end. Would it make it too hard?

if we really want it to be realistic and a simulation then i must say, the "pause match" button should be changed.

I see, on these forums, a large proportion of people wanting to the game to be "more accurate" or more "realistic". Like players stats are wrong or interactions are unbeivable and so on.

Which manager in real life can; pause time and make a myriad of tactical decisions, undo them, redo them, check a players acceleration rating (etc), view all the match stats, view player heat maps, average positions, every single pass undertaken, etc., and then, continue on from where the ball was midflight.

Wouldn't it be more accurate and realistic, if when one pressed "pause" the match would go to a state where one couldn't actually manipulate anything tactically or look at anything, perhaps just seeing a pause screen with general game tooltips and pointers? Then one can answer the phone, go to toilet etc. And return and play after un-pausing the game.

The actual match while doing tactics or anything, should never slow down to a pace slower that real life speed, just like real life.

Do you agree with that or is that too realistic, taking away form the fact that it is a game in the end. Would it make it too hard?

i dont like your obsurdity! This is what makes it a game at the end of the day! :)

You don't have to use it. There has been plenty of times where in the middle of a match, I have to get up and take care of something, so I put it on pause do what I have to do and then come back to the game and unpause it

If we really want it to be realistic and a simulation then I must say, the "Pause Match" button should be changed.

I see, on these forums, a large proportion of people wanting to the game to be "more accurate" or more "realistic". Like players stats are wrong or interactions are unbelievable and so on.

Wouldn't it be more accurate and realistic, if when one pressed "Pause" the match would go to a state where one couldn't actually manipulate anything tactically or look at anything, perhaps just seeing a Pause screen with general game tooltips and pointers? Then one can answer the phone, go to toilet etc. and return and play after un-pausing the game.

At the end of the day, no one is stopping or forcing you from not pressing the "Pause Match" button. If that's what you prefer, then you can certainly play it that way, but this shouldn't be forced on every player. It should always be an option. FM is not only about cold, hard realism, there's also a certain level of player/user friendliness about it, which this option represents. If you want to increase your level of realism, then just don't use the button. Simple as that.

At the end of the day, no one is stopping or forcing you from not pressing the "Pause Match" button. If that's what you prefer, then you can certainly play it that way, but this shouldn't be forced on every player. It should always be an option. FM is not only about cold, hard realism, there's also a certain level of player/user friendliness about it, which this option represents. If you want to increase your level of realism, then just don't use the button. Simple as that.

Unforunately, its not that simple. Because when push comes to shove in a relegation battle, you tend to use all avenues available to gain something.

I actually don't want it to be fully realistic - just putting it out there. This concept would be the definition of realism or simulation.

It's a single player game. The point is to have options so you can play it whichever way you like. Abusing the pause button is an option. Removing it takes away that option. Simple as that.

At the moment there is no option. You can choose not to pause, but its not really that easy to do.

So, how about the option of not being able to abuse the Pause button. Like, in preferences, "Setting - Realistic Match day experince - yes or no."

There are about seven thousand ways to make FM a more realistic experience without crocking the gameplay. FM, like most other games, is an exercise in severe time manipulation - so are you suggesting that if players are playing on Key replays they shoudl be able to make mouseclicks at the speed of light? :p

It's a game, if I want to pause it I should be able to when ever I want. I completely disagree.

I'm not saying you cant pause it - I'm postulating that when you do happen pause it, you can't actually make changes to any match tactics. Theoretically, you could still pause it for a week if you wanted too.

Its like playing a Flight sim, and you're about to be shot down. You press pause. You alter several onboard flight controls, you alter your trajectopry and then you unpause, evading all shots thanks to your cleverness in heat of battle. Well played!

And just talking about the match as well, not the weekday or whatever.

I personally think it would add an interesting dimension to the match day experince. It would add a feeling of urgency and quicken up your decisions. Like, you see IRL a team scores in the second leg to get an away goals advantage. You see the home bench scrambling to get the striker on, chaos for a few minutes as they wait for it to happen. The urgency and panic.

Anyhow, thought it would be an interesting discussion point - not many takers, as I expected.

The problem is that the game doesn't run in real time, so enforcing your tactical decisions to do so puts the AI at a serious advantage.

What wwfan said.

Imagine you are running a game on key highlights. It's the 80th min and your side are trailing by 1 goal. You go into the tactics screen to make a substitution and extreme change to the formation in the hopes of nicking a goal back. Before you can press the 'confirm' button to make those changes though, the match ends and you lose.

Removing the 'pause' button will effectively pigeon-hole players into playing the game with longer match highlights and that is rather unfair to those who do not have the time or inclination to do so. If you are already watching full match highlights and want to go for more realism, then by all means disregard the 'pause' button. But with the consideration of others who do not in mind, please do not suggest for the removal of it.

What wwfan said.

Imagine you are running a game on key highlights. It's the 80th min and your side are trailing by 1 goal. You go into the tactics screen to make a substitution and extreme change to the formation in the hopes of nicking a goal back. Before you can press the 'confirm' button to make those changes though, the match ends and you lose.

Removing the 'pause' button will effectively pigeon-hole players into playing the game with longer match highlights and that is rather unfair to those who do not have the time or inclination to do so. If you are already watching full match highlights and want to go for more realism, then by all means disregard the 'pause' button. But with the consideration of others who do not in mind, please do not suggest for the removal of it.

I get your points but I can't make suggestions/discussion points? And for the third time, I haven't said anything about removing the pause button, what I have said is that when you are in the tactics screen, making changes, the game shouldn't be able to be paused because its unrealistic. (You can still pause, because its a game, but you can't alter anything).

So match is going along. You decided time to attack. You press tactics. Tactics screen pops up. Here, the clock will progress at a rate that is real time. Like 1 second of match time at a time (1 second per second). The clock shouldn't stop.

But what WWFAN says is a really good point- it would make it too hard sine the AI makes probably 1000 decisions and changes a second (not like a real life opposing manager).

I get your points but I can't make suggestions/discussion points? And for the third time, I haven't said anything about removing the pause button, what I have said is that when you are in the tactics screen, making changes, the game shouldn't be able to be paused because its unrealistic. (You can still pause, because its a game, but you can't alter anything).

So match is going along. You decided time to attack. You press tactics. Tactics screen pops up. Here, the clock will progress at a rate that is real time. Like 1 second of match time at a time (1 second per second). The clock shouldn't stop.

But what WWFAN says is a really good point- it would make it too hard sine the AI makes probably 1000 decisions and changes a second (not like a real life opposing manager).

Sorry if my words came across harshly as a restriction to your freedom of posting, I had not meant it that way. What I had meant was that the use of the 'pause' button as it is now is great in that it is entirely up to each individual to see fit as to how they may want to use it. Imposing a restriction on the usage of it will surely displease many people.

What you have suggested now about the game clock slowing down to real time in the tactics screen is definitely reasonable. But most people probably shouldn't take longer than 30 secs to 1 min of real time to make their tactical changes so you shouldn't really lose out on too much realism when you pause the game to enter the tactical screen.

But yes, the AI advantage, however slight, would be a major rebuttal others would indeed bring up against your suggestion.

There are lots of OPTIONAL ways to make the game more realistic. The LLaMa crew enforce many such as no players searches etc. Realistically 99% of us should start as managers with nothing higher than Sunday League experience. These are all OPTIONS and you are entirely free to utilize as many or as few as you deem fit.

You can choose whatever rules you play by yourself. Some people use attribute masking, some people use genie scout. If you want to try to make the game "realistic" you can. Other people like to just have a fun time. Do what you want mate.

At the end of the day it is a game, SI have tried to make it as realistic as possible, but it is impossible to make a completely realistic simulation of football management.

Sorry if my words came across harshly as a restriction to your freedom of posting, I had not meant it that way. What I had meant was that the use of the 'pause' button as it is now is great in that it is entirely up to each individual to see fit as to how they may want to use it. Imposing a restriction on the usage of it will surely displease many people.

What you have suggested now about the game clock slowing down to real time in the tactics screen is definitely reasonable. But most people probably shouldn't take longer than 30 secs to 1 min of real time to make their tactical changes so you shouldn't really lose out on too much realism when you pause the game to enter the tactical screen.

But yes, the AI advantage, however slight, would be a major rebuttal others would indeed bring up against your suggestion.

Yeah - all good.

Have to agree with those saying leave it as is, I don't personally use it but if other people want to play the game that way, fair play to them. Some people reload, or use custom leagues/dbs or play exclusively in a certain way and some don't, it would be boring if we all did the same thing so leave it down to personal preference.

The problem is that the game doesn't run in real time, so enforcing your tactical decisions to do so puts the AI at a serious advantage.

This.

Plus, in real life, a manager doesn't have to fiddle around with drop-down menus and potentially shift sliders about before making his decisions.

Ultimately the OP is a flawed argument.

It can be paused because I have to go on bathroom or have to phone :)

Plus the AI can do changes in realtime, while we I have to click here and there which means time.

And don't forget that pausing stops simulation, freeing cpu usage and resources that make interface smoother to me.

How many managers have their games last only a few minutes? Should a younger manager be given more games in a day for each season because his 'hardware' (ie heart, mind) are more up to the sustained stress? Whereas older managers get to take the season slower? 'Fergie Time' really would become rediculously long then.

A manager can sit and has 5 real minutes to make his decision about a substitute and can see the game unfolding, even at the slowest setting it doesn't last that long for us to get from half time to the 60th minute usually depending on what set-up you are using.

Obviously nobody read my, self appointed, greatest post of meritous value and perfect insight of the year award, ill affix it here.

I think that Extended, Key And Goals Time options should be removed because you cannot just skip time, in order to be more realistic.

Also I think that we shouldnt be able to use the continue button, instead we should wait for days to elapse in real time.

This also falls perfectly in line with MelbVictory's flight sim comparison, in flight sim you cannot simply continue to the fun part, and thats why flight sims are so good.

Imagine yourself piloting a Boeing 747 at a steady clip of .84Mach for 17 marathon hours, being careful not to alter flight path too much and upset the passengers, also being careful to rigidly keep current altitude so the air pressure in the cabin doesnt upset their sensitive ears. The time expansion/contraction buttons are obviously robbing us of the greatest thing football has ever offered, that being the beautiful art of waiting.

Archived