Strangest AI vs AI results.

I hope Rangers putting out a young team was linked to the imporance of the competition, not just coincidence.

I also hope to see similar in the English League Cup. Premiership sides get caught out every year when they field their 2nd XI.

I actually reported this as an extension of a bug over the weekend

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/235064-AI-squad-selection-in-national-cups

Top teams are rarely selecting their first XI in national cups games

While against lower opposition in the 2nd Cup occurs, most teams still try to field teams they feel are strong enough to win games, which the AI of FM is clearly not going 99% of the time

My FA Cup Final is being contested between Newcastle and Barnsley

And of the 3 Prem teams Barnsley knocked out (Inc. Man Utd), only one (Birmingham in the Semi's) fielded their first XL

Regardless of opinions of team selection, the last times in the English Leagues (Can't say how non-English teams handle their national cups these days) that the Carling Cup was won by a "unusual" team, was in 2004, and before that 2000

As for the FA Cup, only 3 times has it been won by someone finishing outside of the top 4 in the last 20 years, and one of those, the runner up was 2nd in the Prem

So, cup competitions in England are completely out of whack, and I have a feeling it's along similar lines across the FM globe because I'm rarely seeing teams expecting to finish in the top half of the highest national league field their first XL in the National Cups, regardless of opposition (Man Utd even fielded reserves against other Premiership teams in both cups... of course actually pulling a win in the FA Cup before the lose against Barnsley)

It's not a case of these results shouldn't happen, it's a case of these results are always happening, mostly due to AI squad selection

must say though in 2000 it was won by leicester who were a top 10 premier league side then. we had a top manager in martin o'neill and probably the only top half side who put out a strong team to try and win the cup. our win wasnt that strange when u think about it

must say though in 2000 it was won by leicester who were a top 10 premier league side then. we had a top manager in martin o'neill and probably the only top half side who put out a strong team to try and win the cup. our win wasnt that strange when u think about it

Completely agree. ;)

But on the point I played Liverpool in the League Cup third round and they played a mixture of youth and experience and I got beat 3-0. Man City vs Fulham was the final with Fulham winning.

Sorry, that I didn't realize

But, that would actually strengthen my point then when comparing RL with FM

I realize not everyone will see such drastic results as I have been, especially on those who haven't got the cups set to full detail

Archived