Settled formations or constant tinkering?

Sticking with a 3-5-2 formation i got off here which i made a few modifications in the team options bit.

Won me 5 cups and a league title in 2 years.

And thats with West Ham, and now because of my success ive had such a transfer kitty that i now have such a great team its very hard for me to lose a game.

But don't you feel that this then leaves you with a bit of a souless gameplay experience. Don't get me wrong, I've been addicted to FM and its previous incarnations for the last 12 years but I'm just getting a little disillusioned with it of late and desperately want to rediscover that addiction again.

Now that the transfer window prevents year round transfers the game degenrates into a repetitive matter of simply picking your fit players and playing game after game.

I like to try to inject some sort of variety into the between match bits by tinkering with tactics but it doesn't really do any good. Maybe if the fog of war was more obtrusive we could spend more time scouting and it wouldn't be so easy to do a basic search and find all of the best players in a matter of seconds.

Another home console managment title does this very well and it gives you something other than the next game to think about as well.

And now that Ferguson, Wenger and Benitez all change formations and tactics so regularly maybe the game should reflect this as well by not being so weighted towards picking the same formation and tactics every week.

Outwitting an opponent (as you would in a war game) with crafty tactics or a last minute suprise is part of the fun of real football. Maybe this could inject more fun into FM PSP.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pumadalglishgold:

But don't you feel that this then leaves you with a bit of a souless gameplay experience. Don't get me wrong, I've been addicted to FM and its previous incarnations for the last 12 years but I'm just getting a little disillusioned with it of late and desperately want to rediscover that addiction again.

Now that the transfer window prevents year round transfers the game degenrates into a repetitive matter of simply picking your fit players and playing game after game.

I like to try to inject some sort of variety into the between match bits by tinkering with tactics but it doesn't really do any good. Maybe if the fog of war was more obtrusive we could spend more time scouting and it wouldn't be so easy to do a basic search and find all of the best players in a matter of seconds.

Another home console managment title does this very well and it gives you something other than the next game to think about as well.

And now that Ferguson, Wenger and Benitez all change formations and tactics so regularly maybe the game should reflect this as well by not being so weighted towards picking the same formation and tactics every week.

Outwitting an opponent (as you would in a war game) with crafty tactics or a last minute suprise is part of the fun of real football. Maybe this could inject more fun into FM PSP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see where you are coming from and i used to play a game on sundayleague.com which was very tactic based on what formations etc you needed to play to give you better results. (Though now that game has gone downhill).

Ive always found that sticking with one formation that suits your team is the best way, and infact i never really change my tactics and its brought me alot of joy.

The only time i do sometimes change it is when there is 10/20 mins to go and im holding onto a lead, but to be honest i dont know whether changing more defensive etc is actually better than keeping the same formation i always use.

Archived