FM 2011 Black Screen Crash (Tried everything)

Hello, sorry to post this in here, but these threads seem to get a lot more attention than in the bugs forum.

I bought the game via Steam on Friday night. The second I fired the game for the first time, I got a black screen (before the "SI" and "SEGA" images even show up), which crashed my computer completely - I was unable to Ctrl Alt + Del and had to use the reset button on my PC.

I searched these forums and found various solutions to this problem (apparently it happened in FM10 as well?), such as deleting my settings files and using Steam's cache checking tool. I tried all of these things and I still get a crash. I've re-downloaded and re-installed the game four times, still crashes. I've downloaded the Direct X SDK tool from Microsoft and fiddled with the settings (was a solution for a similar bug apparently), and that didn't work.

I've updated my drivers (ATI Catalyst) to the latest version, Java, Direct X, Windows Updates, turned Microsoft Security Essentials off, updated the game, updated Steam, all of the usual standard stuff. Nothing is working.

Basically, I paid for the game on Friday, via Steam (no refunds), and all weekend I've been sat crashing and re-setting my computer over and over messing around and trying to get the game to work.

Is there any sort of fix for this that actually works? Is it a bug with a patch on the way to address it? Anyone else had this problem?

Just want to reiterate, I've tried everything I've been told to do numerous times - including deleting the settings folder. This seems to be the token response from the QA people on this forum, and no offence, but please don't tell me to do that again - it isn't working.

The weekend is now over, and I've basically wasted it messing around with this game rather than actually getting to play it. You have my money, why can't I play the damn game?

Also, my PC is more than capable of running the game. It's a fairly recent build with a reasonably high-end spec. Ran the demo flawlessly. Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

I'm having the exact same problem both with the demo and the full game and nothing I've done has helped it.

I am also using the ATI Catalyst drivers with a Radeon 5750 made by Asus.

Here are some more complete specs:

Phenom X4 955 3.2 GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5750

4GB ram

TerryWogan, which ATI card are you using exactly and do you have a similar CPU?

Maybe we can find some clue here.

Archived