Questions about FM 2011 release in Russia

Dear SI,

Beside anger and frustration with Russian patch delay, there are quite a lot of questions on technical and customer satisfaction issues posted across Russian community boards, I would like to address same in a separate thread -

1) What exactly are the differences between UK Boxed version and Russian Boxed version?

2) What are the reasons (or considerations) for releasing different game versions?

3) Is it possible to play the game in Russian language, if one purchased:

a) UK boxed version

b) STEAM or STEAM activated version

c) Digital download

4) Who is responsible for providing technical support for boxed version sold in Russia?

5) Who is responsible for gathering community feedback and fixing errors and/or making improvements in Russian version?

Thanks

K.

P.S: “At Sports Interactive, we always strive to give the end-user the best experience possible” - Miles Jacobson, Studio Director, Sports Interactive.

Haha. I have to admit if that's a joke it's passed me by.

So - I got some answers to your questions yesterday. Let me start.

1) Differences between versions;

- Basically, almost nothing. The Russian version is a separate language SKU - we have several of these versions throughout the world. To try to pre-empt the next question - why did it not get patched - well, that's just a resource issue. We have to patch each version (digital, boxed, languages, PC, Mac etc - last count was over 20 versions I think) so some versions got the patch, and while we were working on others, we became aware of issues that required the hotfix - and rolled the patch and that together. In hindsight, not a great call.

2) Different game versions - there are many, many. Some boxed, some digital, some designed for specific distribution channels outside of SEGA's normal ones, etc.

3) As far as I'm aware, no, it's not possible to play Russian language on any of those versions.

4) I'm told that Soft Club, our Russian distributors, will provide technical support.

5) We don't reach out to any specific communities - if there is an issue that requires feedback, we're normally made aware of it either through Beta testing, or through these forums. I'm aware that while we have some language representation here, there is none for Russia - which given the level of interest the game appears to have generated there, looks like a bit of an oversight on our behalf. So a question back - where is the best place to talk to Russian FM fans, and who could we work with (given that at present, I don't think we have Russian-speaking resources directly at SEGA / SI) to have a better dialogue and to get some support if we wanted to open a Russian area of the forums here?

Now - that pie made me hungry - I'm off for some breakfast.

Cheers

Matt

Matt, one more question, if you can answer.

Will it be possible to get russian language in STEAM? I purchased FM 11 in the shop, but my DVD is not good, & I'm afraid that it can damaged the disc. So I downoloaded STEAM version and activate it. After the patch, can I play FM'11 on my native, Russian, language?

Haha. I have to admit if that's a joke it's passed me by.

It was a response to your post dated Nov 10th

Krondor - I'm going to get answers to your questions today.

"Promises like pie-crust..." :)

I will try to refrain from joking if you try not to make jokes about 140+ million ****ed off Russian users :)

1) Differences between versions;

- Basically, almost nothing. The Russian version is a separate language SKU - we have several of these versions throughout the world. To try to pre-empt the next question - why did it not get patched - well, that's just a resource issue. We have to patch each version (digital, boxed, languages, PC, Mac etc - last count was over 20 versions I think) so some versions got the patch, and while we were working on others, we became aware of issues that required the hotfix - and rolled the patch and that together. In hindsight, not a great call.

2) Different game versions - there are many, many. Some boxed, some digital, some designed for specific distribution channels outside of SEGA's normal ones, etc.

3) As far as I'm aware, no, it's not possible to play Russian language on any of those versions.

It doesn't really make sense. Why do you make it so difficult for end-users? We all know that multi language support is possible and probably much easier to implement. Why do you choose to go through so much trouble for yourself and your customers?

Let's say hypothetically - SEGA publishes a game in the UK developed by a Russian company. English is the only default language, however once activated through Steam Russian becomes DEFAULT language and CANNOT be switched back to English thus making the game unplayable for users. Do you honestly think this is acceptable? No double standards, please.

As a matter of fact, it is possible to switch languages in UK boxed version, but would that be in violation of EULA? Don't you think users who bought the game have every moral right to make the game PLAYABLE for themselves?

Here's a question (and MAJOR concern) from Russian FM fans - Do you plan to introduce multi language support, particularly English/Russian, in the next patch?

4) I'm told that Soft Club, our Russian distributors, will provide technical support.

This is just great! FYI - SoftClub are STILL unaware of Russian patch 11.1.1 release. So if you try to get tech support as suggested, you would still be playing unpatched version.

No technical support noted.

5) We don't reach out to any specific communities - if there is an issue that requires feedback, we're normally made aware of it either through Beta testing, or through these forums. I'm aware that while we have some language representation here, there is none for Russia - which given the level of interest the game appears to have generated there, looks like a bit of an oversight on our behalf. So a question back - where is the best place to talk to Russian FM fans, and who could we work with (given that at present, I don't think we have Russian-speaking resources directly at SEGA / SI) to have a better dialogue and to get some support if we wanted to open a Russian area of the forums here?

We should have had this conversation prior to game release in Russia.

1C-SoftClub was responsible for Russian version testing and quality control, but I understand that SI had no direct communications with Russian distributor and had to go through SEGA.

Apparently poor communications and questionable decisions made nearly resulted in failure (epic?). There were some preemptive actions taken by Russian community to minimize the damage, but apparently too little and too late.

Below is a list of problems with Russian version release:

- No beta-testing done (any explanation why, please?)

- Delayed demo version release

- No patch 11.1.0 released

- Club, competitions, etc names are in English

- Match commentary in English in demo and release version (fixed in Patch 11.1.1)

- Editor interface in English (Russian language still not supported after patch)

- No support for language update folder - updates\update-11xx\languages\changes doesn't seem to update language files

So, how do we improve communications on all levels?

Suggest to start with further development of existing communication link between SI and Russian Research / Translation Teams for the following reasons:

- Russian translation and data research areas are the most important for Russian end-users, these areas were not properly tested during pre-production stage

- Russian Research / Translation Teams are being part of Russian FM Community, fully capable to gather and relay valuable feedback on required fixes and improvements

- Direct communications with SI allow to solve technical and other version specific problems in the most efficient manner.

Give it a high priority status, see to releasing an additional patch for Russian version or at least work very closely with the R & T teams in order to "give the end-user the best experience possible” after patch 11.2.0. We still believe that Miles actually meant what he said.

Now - that pie made me hungry - I'm off for some breakfast.

Cheers

Matt

Bon appetite!

K.

I want to know something (please excuse me if this had been addressed): I bought the Russian version and the attributes screen is all changed up from all the other FM versions - for example pace and acceleration are both at the bottom of the physical attributes instead of how it was even in the demo (I understand the demo was UK) - but still - is it gonna be possible to fix it - I hate it the way it is with all attributes jumbled up. Another thing - it only allows russian language support - I want to play it in enlish - is this version ******** without letting me play in other languages (The translation is ***** anyways - done half assed )

Please let me know if these problems gonna be addressed - otherwise the game is just not that much fun to play - I don't want to get used to the new way of displaying the attributes - it sux.

Thank you

I want to know something (please excuse me if this had been addressed): I bought the Russian version and the attributes screen is all changed up from all the other FM versions - for example pace and acceleration are both at the bottom of the physical attributes instead of how it was even in the demo (I understand the demo was UK) - but still - is it gonna be possible to fix it - I hate it the way it is with all attributes jumbled up. Another thing - it only allows russian language support - I want to play it in enlish - is this version ******** without letting me play in other languages (The translation is ***** anyways - done half assed )

Please let me know if these problems gonna be addressed - otherwise the game is just not that much fun to play - I don't want to get used to the new way of displaying the attributes - it sux.

Thank you

I assume that English is not your first language but please watch your language on the forums- it is not required to get your point across.

• 2 months later...

Archived