Player Interaction... Just AWFUL

Has this been tested *at all*???

I have gone through unbelievable conversations which has resulted in female-like overreaction.

Now, I feel I have to make a thread about it...

A player I subbed on his debut became unhappy. For 90% of the season. During his unhappiness he wanted leave twice. He also refused to talk to me.

Now he is 'happy', and to try and make things even better (he's a good player), I ask him to recommend some staff...

Him: So, what have I done this time? (Nice touch, SI...)

Me: Can you recommend a coach?

Him: It isn't my job to recommend staff. (Despite feeling homesick)

Me: Fair enough, I hope I haven't upset you. (lol wut)

Him: THIS HAS UPSET ME AND I CAN'T ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY. *I THINK I SHOULD LEAVE NOW BEFORE I SAY SOMETHING I REGRET*

*A common phrase

I'm laughing as I type this out because it is so ridiculous. I'm sure threads like this will be common place before a patch or two. Am I overreacting? I mean, the 'conversation' is just so surreal!

It isn't awful at all, it's just basic. It lacks enough responses to accurately give a believable conversation, but the basic reactions of a player being happy/unhappy are there and they work, albeit the text will some times make it look over the top

The conversation in the O.P. proves the basic reactions are wrong. No way would a player ever become unhappy when the manager asks him for advice with staff.

Yeah players gets upset for every little thing.

I have a player without work permit on loan at a feeder club. No need to have him take up space in my first team squad so I put him in the reserves.

Guess what? He calls me up (or travel?) from Belgium wanting to leave my club because he is on "assigned" on paper to the reserves in England, while he lives, practies and plays in Belgium.

The problem is the silly dialogue, yes, but most of all SI have screwed the player over by not giving us a 'middle-of-the road' option. There is absolutley no way we can placate a player;

For instance, why is there not an option that says,'don't worry you are in my plans for the future', or,'it's along season and i'll need all my players', or,'i still rate you as a player' and so on.

The issue is a completle poverty of choice in this regard.

Needs a massive amount of work this. I personally would not have included it until it's next phase. Needs to be far more intuitive. Most conversations end up with players falling out with you. I know it happens IRL, but not to the extent where you have a chat and it all goes to pieces.

Still, masses of potential to be had with this.

Personally looking forward to when you can send players down the bookies.

I agree the reactions are far too much at the moment

But then, that's typical SI, every new feature they've introduced has always been over the top or not even making a ripple

The one I'm noticing is players getting upset because I've asked them to learn something new

And then, the only method I have to "back-down" is to end the conversation... erm... ok?

FM11... the introduction of the emo... well saying that, I know emo's who are more emotional stable tbh

it's ok to start with, just needs more responses and just that more times than not, it doesnt matter what you respond to them with, they going to be upset with you. When 1 player is upset then there is a domino affect on a few other squad players

It's not really any different than the game animation during a match. That animation only reflects underlying calculations, then the machine tries to find the visuals that match. Most of the time it works, sometimes it's an epic fail. The conversations are like that--but are also more basic (this is the first time for them, after all). So if you just imagine whatever response is there that you want but that fits the end result, then it's fine.

As for the paucity of managerial dialogue choices, I freely admit they're weak, but it's not as if you're actually sitting across from some spoiled brat a quarter of your age telling you how awesome he is and how little you know and getting emotional about it. In RL you'd have emotions--it's very easy, however, to stay overly calm with a game. So the game pushes you into the equivalent of an emotional response.

Naturally, that leads to you becoming emotional here, with what you think are real human beings. But when I look at some of these posts, all I see is: I'm not getting what I want! I'm unhappy! I'd better leave before I say something I regret!

Has anyone had a positive result from this feature?

It looks like a minefield with no incentive to cross it.

I have not so far, but it's early days. I think the players who act that way are the kind of people you read about in tabloid news and whom you wouldn't normally want anything to do with because they're so childish. However, seeing as we're playing the role of football managers, those personalities are sometimes the very people we depend on for our virtual livelihoods.

I'm willing to bet that if you give in to whatever their demands are, and treat them like the ultra-wonderful star they think they are in their heads, then you will get a happier player (and an unhappier team). This is why sometimes great players have trouble everywhere they go and don't play for teams for very long. It's also why a lot of talented players never really make it--because of their attitudes and personality issues.

absolutely ridiculous how bad the interaction have become. thought the one with coaches was pathetic as well. in the past we could see like how blablabla is unhappy or any reaction to your comments, now its nothing. its like you are talking to yourself. that goes with the press conferences before matches as well.

the player one no matter what they will become unhappy. even if they are happy by chance, few matches later they will want to be transfer requested for failed promises. i mean after just a few match?

IMO player interactions is the worst feature in cm/fm history. Idea is good. But this is something that should only be used when ready. Or atleast an option to turn it off As for me it is a game breaker and I dont enjoy the game once I have this stupid convo with my players.

Yeah i praised Robert Huth, for his performance in the last game. He was very pleased, and it stated in his personal detials that he feels we will have a good working relationship

I would believe that these "unbelievable" conversations might have something to do with being a new manager for the club. Just imagine some new guy starting to tell everybody to stuff differently on the field etc. I hope that the players are a bit easier after a some time spent and reputation garnered.

The interaction between players and manager need more development, no if's of butt's, as for the press conferences as well, two key elements which SI have to address for future additions. My look at it is, dont bother with ethier, stay away from it.

I would believe that these "unbelievable" conversations might have something to do with being a new manager for the club. Just imagine some new guy starting to tell everybody to stuff differently on the field etc. I hope that the players are a bit easier after a some time spent and reputation garnered.

Good point, ive said it before

Every manager brings a different system to the club, and even the most stubborn of players will try to adapt. After all, the manager holds all the cards. Even for unhappy players, there's the prospect of a change of atmosphere, so even they will be attempting to change themselves.

Only the real idiots should react negatively to a new manager.

Or it could be to do with lack of experience (manager history)

It could be ignoring your reputation and basing reactions on who you've managed and how successful you've been

Though I'd doubt it as that would be totally against SI's rule of basing everything in life on reputation ;) lol

Maybe after a 4/5 seasons into the game it will become more balanced

But then that would still keep it as a gamebreaker for those who enjoy going straight to their favourite teams

In my eyes, the player interaction reply options are far too biased towards "having a go" at your players. You can either choose a grovelling Wayne Rooney type "It won't happen again" aplogy or 3 different Barry Fry type "I'm the f**king manager and you do as i f**king say" answers. Where's the the middle ground SI? I'm too scared to even ask my £25 million star striker to try power shots in case he tells me to stick it up my crack and goes AWOL!

Great idea but poor final product....bit like ITV digital...

Earn. Their. Trust.

Can't stress this enough.

First six months at my new job, I coddled my players. I was nothing but nice of them, I didn't ask or demand anything of them other than that they show up and play as well as possible. Any time they did play well, I congratulated them, and I rarely, if ever, complained about poor performances. The only fines handed out were for violent behaviour. My team talks were for the most part pretty vanilla and encouraging.

By Christmas, four or five of my first team listed me as favoured personnel. Once you have their hearts, you can say or do anything you want (within reason) to them, and get away with it. You are a stranger to them when you arrive. But when they know you and respect what you are doing at the club, they will listen to you when you speak, and apologize when you are firm with them.

At the start of the third season, 15-20 playing staff at the club have me listed as favoured personnel, and my manager overview says my door is always open.

Player interaction works, provided you ease yourself into it.

*doesn't react*

;)

Haha I didn't mean to cause offence, sorry!

I'm sure SI will address the extremes when it comes to player interaction with the next patch. In the mean time, i'm gonna save-reload before asking a young midfielder to learn from Beckham... imagine the anger at such a suggestion!

90% of the players are complete fruit loops, at worst there should be 5-10% of players who become unhappy with any interaction. Now we get players who hate you and want to be listed if you ask them to do something as simple as stop arguing with the refs.

Something which I have never seen a player agree too along with bullet throws which is equally stupid.

*I THINK I SHOULD LEAVE NOW BEFORE I SAY SOMETHING I REGRET*

*A common phrase

This phrase is unbareably common

I dont have the full game but in the demo i asked torres for coaching staff since he was unhappy with lack of discipline and he said this phrase, next thing i know both him and gerrard are handing in transfer requests :|

Terry and Lampard abetting a dressing room mutiny against a manager with little reputation? Sounds realistic to me!

Your right it is realistic, i was just in shock more then anything. Lukcily Lampard has calmed down now and and is getting on with his football with no concerns, JT still dislikes Bruma which is a problem as i dont want to hand him a bumper new pay package nor do i want to get rid of Bruma?

I understand the earning your respect thing, but I've had a situation where a 18 year old has basically told me he's not interested in being tutored/mentored by an international striker. I may be a new manager at the club, but I set my past experience to be an ex-internationalist, so its bizarre to see this sort of response and I've had it more than once.

TBH I'm just finding a lot of the conversational-type stuff really tedious. Is there any way to turn it off? The problem is that its really basic. I understand they have to start somewhere, but until there's a way to have a much more natural and reactive conversation then I wish we could just go back to the way it was.

My problem is that I don't even initiate these confrontations. Within a week I had 6 first-team players queueing up at my door to tell me how disappointed they were in our start to the season - even though we'd won 5 in a row. Whatever I said left them angry!

I understand the earning your respect thing, but I've had a situation where a 18 year old has basically told me he's not interested in being tutored/mentored by an international striker. I may be a new manager at the club, but I set my past experience to be an ex-internationalist, so its bizarre to see this sort of response and I've had it more than once.

Which 18 year-old? Which striker? What's the striker's squad status? What are their personalities? Which conversation option did you use? What did you say when he refused?

Blitz-Matt, it would be helpful if you could include the name of the player causing the female-like overreaction. If it's a unprofessional/controversial player, then these things are bound to happen.

And Shake Appeal's first reply in this thread should possibly be made sticky.

"player looking indisciplined" sod that, he IS indisciplined.

Okay...shame interaction doesn't let me talk to him specifically about this. Player gets a redcard(he really did deserve it), his game rating was 6.9. I talk to him and say his performance was not good, he got sent off after all, but he comes back saying he thought he played well, because the criticism rates it off the 6.9, which doesn'ta..asdgf

Argh, there isn't a lot of clarity, or much choice, in what I can 'private chat' the players with. I can't tell them well done on training well..

And talk about earning trust, I've got a player that has me favoured personal but has been on transfer list cause of request; didn't give a reason, and I have no way of using private chat to convince him to stay. They're all 'threats'.

I've gotta say, I think this is a much improved addition to the game, compared to past editions (and this is someone who's been playing the game since Champ Man 1993 speaking, so I've been around a bit :-P). Earning the trust of players is pivotal I've got to say, as is biding your time: don't expect miracles within the first few weeks at a club. I mean, to put it in a different context, imagine if you had a new boss at work who suddenly came in with a load of personal suggestions, i.e teaming up with others, changing the way you do things: how would you react? The majority would not be overly positive I reckon.

I do think that in the future there is room for more varied dialogue, but when you compare the player interaction in this game compared to 2010, the advancement is immense in my opinion.

Archived