Question about FM2009 and the new CL and Uefa Cup Format

I have read that Uefa will change the access rule to Champions League from Season 2009/2010, will change Uefa Cup Format and will remove the Intertoto Cup.

Someon here know if someone of Sports Interactive has sauid if this new rules will be implemented in FM2009 from the second season?

Thanks in advice.

No features about fm 2009 have been released and are not likely to be untli august/september!

Also the new european formats are still at the proposal stage. This proposal cant just go through cos Patini says so. The remaining uefa delegates all have votes on said matters so dont expect any further info until after christmas at least.

Must admit I cant wait untli it is. Liverpool will take UEFA straight to court as if the top 3 in the premier league only qualify for champs league they are going to lose money and there best players and tumble into mid-table obscurity. Add to that Chelsea and Arsenal having to field a certain amount of Englishman The top four will rightly become the top ONE again icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

The closest Ive ever had to that is a dream where on my FM game all those 3 clubs got rbankrupt and relegated. Oh the joys of being a Man Utd fan.

A total of 76 teams will participate in the 2009-2010 Champions League, from 52 UEFA associations (Liechtenstein organizes no domestic league competition). Countries are allocated places according to their UEFA league co-efficient.

The Champions League title holder 2008-09 will be guaranteed a place in the group stage, even if they do not obtain a qualifying place through their domestic league. They will do this at the expense of their association's lowest placed qualifier, whom will join the UEFA cup as a result.

The allocation system may change slightly depending on the title holder's domestic placing.

Preliminary list of UEFA Country Ranking for 2009-2010 season can be found at Bert Kassies' website. The UEFA ranking determines the number of teams competing in the season after the next, not in the first season after the publication of the ranking. Thus, the 2008 ranking determines the proportion in 2009–10, not 2008–09.

Below is the qualification scheme for the 2009-2010 Champions League:

Associations 1-3 each have 4 teams qualify

Associations 4-6 each have 3 teams qualify

Associations 7-15 each have 2 teams qualify

Associations 16-53 each have 1 team qualify (excluding Liechtenstein)

IMO the top 4 shouldnt qualify for the CL, why call it the champions league when the fourth best team in the league qualifys, should be cup champions that qualify, teams go all the way through a cup competion to get a cr*ppy uefa cup place, i know people may say then we have two carp teams in the CL, maybe so but they do deserve it.

• SI Staff
Liverpool will take UEFA straight to court as if the top 3 in the premier league only qualify for champs league they are going to lose money and there best players and tumble into mid-table obscurity

They won't have a leg to stand on. As it stands (and it can change due to ranking) the top three in the Premier will go straight into the group stage and the 4th placed team will have to go through a qualifying stage and will have the UEFA Cup as consolation if they don't get through.

It will be a bit tougher to qualify though as they will have to play other "non-Champions" from nations ranked 1 - 15.

Whether this is in the next game or not we'll just have to wait and see. We do try our best to have all the competition rules and stuff as accurate as possible.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Liverpool will take UEFA straight to court as if the top 3 in the premier league only qualify for champs league they are going to lose money and there best players and tumble into mid-table obscurity

They won't have a leg to stand on. As it stands (and it can change due to ranking) the top three in the Premier will go straight into the group stage and the 4th placed team will have to go through a qualifying stage and will have the UEFA Cup as consolation if they don't get through.

It will be a bit tougher to qualify though as they will have to play other "non-Champions" from nations ranked 1 - 15.

Whether this is in the next game or not we'll just have to wait and see. We do try our best to have all the competition rules and stuff as accurate as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not like Liverpool to whing about something in Europe and get it their own way at the expense of a team who have qualified domestically. icon_wink.gif

It's all based on co-efficients so if England don't do well in the CL why shouldn't they only have 3 teams qualify especially given Italy only has 3 qualifiers. Base don this seasons success it will remain 4 teams at the moment.

It has more of an impact on smaller teams, I think 2nd place in Scotland automatically qualifies now, not sure if that's right though.

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Liverpool will take UEFA straight to court as if the top 3 in the premier league only qualify for champs league they are going to lose money and there best players and tumble into mid-table obscurity

Whether this is in the next game or not we'll just have to wait and see. We do try our best to have all the competition rules and stuff as accurate as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the answer.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

It has more of an impact on smaller teams, I think 2nd place in Scotland automatically qualifies now, not sure if that's right though.

Really?

I doubt it, as this season the only reason the champions Celtic are going straight to the group stages is because Man Utd won it, so qualified as holders leaving their domestic place open.

I've not had a chance to properly look at these proposals but from what I can tell from manutdman's post, it's not really going to affect the Champion's League, interesting to hear the intertoto might be going but. Will there be any sort of raplacement for it?

But yeah, if they mean Scotland get 2 teams straight into the group stages, then I'm all for it, could do won ders for the Scottish game especially if a side outside the old firm made the top 2, it means they'd be guaranteed a minimum of £11m, before we take into account their stadium selling out 3 times, etc.

• SI Staff

No, Scotland will get one team straight in and the other will have to qualify in amongst the nations ranked 1 - 15 so there is little or no chance of an "easy" game like there is now.

Scotland Second Place Will Qualify to Second qualifying round for Non-Champions, with these teams.

3rd placed team of Russian Premier League 2008

Runners-up of Romania Liga I 2008-09

Runners-up of Portuguese Liga 2008-09

Eredivisie 2008-09

Runners-up of Turkcell Super League 2008-09

Runners-up of Ukrainian Premier League 2008-09

Belgium Runners-up of Jupiler League 2008-09

Runners-up of Super League Greece 2008-09

Czech Republic Runners-up of Gambrinus liga 2008-09

If will pass the turn it may find, at Third qualifying round for Non-Champions, one of these teams.

4th placed team of English Premier League 2008-09

4th placed team of La Liga 2008-09

4th placed team of Serie A 2008-09

France 3rd placed team of Ligue 1 2008-09

Germany 3rd placed team of Fußball-Bundesliga 2008-09

So definitely a not easy qualification icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

IMO the top 4 shouldnt qualify for the CL, why call it the champions league when the fourth best team in the league qualifys, should be cup champions that qualify, teams go all the way through a cup competion to get a cr*ppy uefa cup place, i know people may say then we have two carp teams in the CL, maybe so but they do deserve it.

i totally agree with you regarding this. i dont see why top 4 teams shud be in CL when there's only one champion.

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

Simple. Money. What baffles me is that UEFA seem oblivious to the reasons as why few teams care about the UEFA cup, and why interest from the fans is pretty much non-existent until the later rounds. They seriously believe that introducing things such as the ridicolous group stage will genuinelly make people interested again, when all it does is make it more protracted and annoying. UEFA fail to realise that with most of the best teams playing in the Champions League, there is little to interest the neutral. Based on how empty the Reebok Stadium was for some of Boltons game, it would appear that even the fans aren't overly interested, not until the later stages anywat.

What UEFA need to do is bite the bullet and change the Champions League back to how it used be with only the reigning champions and the league champions qualifying with everyone else going into the UEFA cup (lets not reintroduce the Cup Winners Cup again though. That was seriously dull). Hopefully it would help break up the dull, generic look of the quarter finals with teams from Italy, England, Spain, and maybe one or two from other strong countries, which, IMO, is starting to make the competition a little tedious. But, alas, UEFA wont have the guts to do that. They wont want to lose sponsorship money, and wouldn't dream about upsetting the big boys through their loss of money, meaning we will be stuck with the same tedious affair year after year.

Any way, thats my rant over and done with.

Originally posted by Un gars que tu connais:

I hope they will give us the possibility to edit the european cups...

Then we can be able to do a comeback with only the champions in C1, runners-up in C3, and maybe a Cup Winners Cup.....

Would be great, reaaaally fun if they put something to edit the european cups......

PLZ, Sports Interactive...pleeease. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, give us a Fifa Manager style editor, so we can edit anything and everything there is. icon_smile.gif

Archived