Is is possible to do really well (and i mean really well) with an all english team

Hi,

I am particularly interested in knowing if the above is possible within the first 5/6 seasons from the start of the game.

I loaded up Mini-SE and it seems that there are very few real quality english players around.

my 'Domestic player Bias' has dropped to an all time low (1) depsite several (4) english signings. my priority is to have my team do as well as possible, but i would rather it was with Enlgish players. I am now in season 5 and there still seems to be only a few good ones around. THere are a few coming through, but it will be abother 3/4 years before they are first team material for the EPL.

Lee

Hi,

I am particularly interested in knowing if the above is possible within the first 5/6 seasons from the start of the game.

I loaded up Mini-SE and it seems that there are very few real quality english players around.

my 'Domestic player Bias' has dropped to an all time low (1) depsite several (4) english signings. my priority is to have my team do as well as possible, but i would rather it was with Enlgish players. I am now in season 5 and there still seems to be only a few good ones around. THere are a few coming through, but it will be abother 3/4 years before they are first team material for the EPL.

Lee

In my humble opinion it is nearly impossible to achieve something with all English players, simply because there aren;t enough quality English players available. I mean there are of course players like Gerrard, Richards, Ferdinand, Terry, Rooney, etc., but just try to buy them!!!! Impossible!

Besides those you have talented youngsters like Bentley, who is usually very cheap, and Wright-Philips but they just dont have enough potential to become Champions League Stars.

I have challenged myself several teams to try and make teams like Chelsea and Arsenal more English, but it's just not possible. You lose so much quality of you try. And believe you me, I have tried it many times.

Uhh are you serious... Why shouldn;y be? I usually play in Turkey a league in which you can only sign up to 8 foreigners (field 6 bench 2 a ta time) all non_Turkish players count as foreigners including EU players icon_redface.gif imagine that icon_eek.gif I have achieved some good success with Turkish teams in the past and in recent times,. Hell I have seen Romanian team win the CL with the right tactics and coaching ( I friend of mine wa able to acheive this). Really stop focusing too much on the numbers but more on what you see during the games on the match engine.

Doruk,

If it was that east then the game would not be realistic would it.

Having a one nationality team is very different to having even just two or three imports.

My question still stands.

Can you win consecutive league titles and do well in Europe with an all English team?

lee

at this moment in time there isn't enough quality englinsh players to have any real success, hence why england arn't going to be winning any world cups/european championships any time soon

this is shown in the distribution of the english national team, how many first team regulars for england play their football outside england? now look at the french national team and ask the same question. then the italian team. then the brazilian, argintinan, spannish, etc.

i mean yeah the right tactics could get you somewhere but there's only so far you can go with english talent

my current first choice team has just one englishman in. Its Downing on the wing. i only bought him in an attempt to increase my rating. Fortunately he has played well this season, despite a stinker last season.

I am looking at buying some more English players, but the ones i want are £50mill+. I can probably afford that next season, but its not right.

Im going to try and flatter some of them that hve contracts running out in two seasons.

Has anyone done really well, with say.... at least 8 or 9 English players?

Lee

It's not really a question that anyone will enlighten you to unless they've done it. There's not much scope for discussion here. You either have won with an all English team, or you havent. I haven't but definitely believe you can.

Guest kieranpeters1

2nd season with man utd,won PL and CL and runner up in FA cup with this starting 11.

foster

richards ferdinand vidic evra

hargreaves

scholes carrick

ronaldo downing

rooney

thats 8 english players with more among the subs.

You can definitely do it. I think starting as Man U would be the easiest. Sell Ronaldo, Vidic, Evra, Anderson, Nani, Tevez for big bucks. Then you should be able to buy players for the other positions, ending up as:

GK: Foster

DR: Neville

DC: Brown

DC: Ferdinand

DL: Bridge, probably

ML: Downing/Joe Cole

MC: Hargreaves

MC: Carrick

MR: Bentley

FC: Rooney

FC: Defoe

That should be able to win!

It would be interesting if you were england manager at the same time.

I want to try and at least get to a 50/50 English/Foreign, but ill have to do it at a slow pace as i do not want to start again and i do not want to be Man U.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lam:

Doruk,

If it was that east then the game would not be realistic would it.

Having a one nationality team is very different to having even just two or three imports.

My question still stands.

Can you win consecutive league titles and do well in Europe with an all English team?

lee </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you see the words easy anywhere in my post? No. I tried to point out to you that if you know how to play the game properly it's quite possible.

It's possible although there are better nationalities out there (obviously). Off the top of my head, there are plenty of good midfielders in England, and then as striker you have the strangely-profilic Rooney and ridiculously good Defoe. It's probably left-back and left-wing where you'll start to discover all is not rosy within the England squad but hey! nobody plays fully symmetrical squads in real life.

Well, if you wait long enough, and get every good English regen you can find, it's possible. I have a strong under 18 team with a lot of English players, and a few in the reserves who are looking good. I've had to search far and wide, some I've nicked form other Premiership teams, others from lower down, some from my own youth academy.

It's the slow way to do it, but it's far cheaper!

I did it on FM07 with Sunderland. However, about half of the 1st team squad were English regens, a couple were players that are 15 when the game starts but have a random PA so could be great in one game and rubbish in another, and the last ones were Walcott, Huddlestone and Taylor from Newcastle.

With this all English team I won the Premiership and Champions league a couple of seasons running before I got bored. I was also England manager at the time so managed to field an England team in the world cup final that consisted of 9 of my players.

So it is possible to do this but I'd say you need to wait until some good English regens come through before you can realistically afford to do it.

However, if you had unlimited funds or were willing to use the editor you could definitely put together an English squad in 08 capable of winning anything:

GK - Foster

RB - Brown/Richards

LB - A.Cole/Bridge

CB - Terry/King

CB - Ferdinand/Woodgate

RM - Bently/Lennon

LM - Downing/J.Cole

CM - Gerrard/Carrick

CM - Lampard/Hargrieves

ST - Rooney/Defoe

ST - Owen/Walcott

I've won 6 consecutive league titles in Germany with an all German first 11 at Bayern Munich. I find relying on PA is pretty useless and some of my most consistent performers have low PA but stats in all the right places.

I look for heading, marking, concentration, positioning, tackling and pace in a CD and I have 3 CBs who have been exceptional for 4 seasons now and the highest PA of the 3 is 157.

Likewise up front my main striker has a PA of 157 and keeps out a player with PA 188 because he has stats in all the right places.

Here's my all German first 11:

GK - Rensing

DR - Lahm, Lell

DL - Pander, Jansen

DC - Sinkiewicz, Schoenheim

DC - Eberlein, Wolf

DM - Rolfes, Borowski

DM - Judt, Ottl

AMR - Holzer, Hilbert

AML - Schweinsteiger,

AMC - Kroos, Podolski

ST - Kuranyi, Fischer

Most came in on a free, and I have won 6 league titles, 5 cups and consistently in the final phases of CL (haven't won it yet though).

I think it would be easily possible in England as long as emphasis wasn't put on PA. The OP is right there aren't enough high PA English youngsters, their stats should be enough.

I have just won the EPL by 18 clear points using Cleons new tactic and there are two english players that i want to bring in next season and i have just signed another, So thats 4 English that should get regular games.

Still a long way to go, but i think i can get there even if it takes a long time.

Thanks

Lee

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I mean there are of course players like Gerrard, Richards, Ferdinand, Terry, Rooney, etc., but just try to buy them!!!! Impossible! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not impossible especially if you cheat and create an edt file icon_wink.gif

Archived