Why is Great Britian not in 2012 Olympics?

My first instinct says the answer would be because there's no Great Britain football team. Having said that, I've no idea how far the plans are to have a GB football team in 2012, last I read about it, it was still just a rumour.

i'm going to guess you're not from the Uk, becauser there was a huge stink about this because the SFA and i think the WFA know it's just a ploy for Blatter to say "well they worked at the olympics, lets merge them together for every competition"

Last summer the u21 EC were held in Holland, UK qualified for the semi's. During this tournament the 4 semi finalists would quality for the olypics, since only GB is representing on olympics and not the UK theire was a play off between Italy and portugal (the two NO 3's from each group to decide who would qualify for the olympics.

Craig Gordon has a decent shout, considering the lack of quality goalkeepers England actually have at present. Other than that, I'd say Alan Hutton and a fully fit Gareth Bale are the only ones squad-worthy, but I admit my Spurs love might make that opinion slightly biased. None of the three would significantly improve the team though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flooter:

Aiden McGeady (spit) if he'd played for Scotland. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but he doesn't. get over it. it's a shame, as he's gonna be some player

Are the ROI the biggest thiefs in football? They steal loads of players from other countries, admittedly the majority are english nobodies who took a trip to dublin once for a pint but they have pinched a few decent scots as well, houghton and mcgeady.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the forum, name a player eligable for "Great Britain", good enough for the squad, who wouldn't actually play for England?

Token gesture players notwithstanding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find your arrogance astounding.

I think you'll also find several of the players who chose Ireland were born in England to Irish parents/grand parents wanted to play for Ireland because of their heritage.

A decent % of the Irish who ended up in England from between fourty-sixty years ago came here with good reason, you know?

It's not been a case of poncing English players with Irish grand mothers for a long time now though, almost every player in the squad was born in Ireland. It's more of a case of English clubs being the biggest thieves in football and stealing 4/5 Irish kids who can kick a ball icon_wink.gif

Well to name some players...

Steve Davis (N. Ireland)

Barry Ferguson (Scotland)

Allan Hutton (Scotland)

Kris Boyd (Scotland)

Kevin Thompson (scotland)

Scott Brown (Scotland)

Steven Fletcher (Scotland)

Mcfadden (Scotland)

And before all the BS. starts...

Most of those guys i named did better with Scotland than England did in euro 2008.

Im not saying i would start them all in the 1st team, but every single one named is more than deserving of being picked to be part of the team.

Dont let the Sky funded over hyped EPL (mainly due to the only great players being non english) get in the way of an unbiased opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flooter:

Are the ROI the biggest thiefs in football? They steal loads of players from other countries, admittedly the majority are english nobodies who took a trip to dublin once for a pint but they have pinched a few decent scots as well, houghton and mcgeady. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you born that ignorant or is it an aquired skill?

The ROI 'stole' McGeady and Houghton did they? Yes, I'm sure they were sleeping soundly when some emerald-clad intruder held a cloroform rag to their faces and whisked them away in the night icon_smile.gif

The fact is, they wear/wore the green because that's where their loyalties lay. Do you honestly believe if McGeady and Houghton were proud Scotsmen that they'd play for any other country other than Scotland?! Gimme a break.

In any case, I applaud their good taste icon_smile.gif The schizoid nature of Scottish pride is mind-boggling. Here you have a nation that unashamedly takes every opportunity to scorn their old enemies the English, yet broadly accepts the label of 'British' - a purely English machination. In fact, I'm sure they'd have no problems whatsoever with handing in their blue shirts for a Team GB alternative, should it come to it icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bullion1:

then there's Maccarthy at hamilton accies, but to be fair, his dying grandfather wanted him to play for ROI.

i read a bit in the paper this morning that he's getting racially abused in the terraces. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's the excuse that McGeady used which prompted McCarthy to retract that statement before going on to say that he would've turned out for Scotland if someone at the scottish youth level approached him.

Now there's a lad with integrity...

I find it highly amusing that these two chose Ireland over Scotland. The only reason they did it was because they were convinced that Ireland have a better chance to qualify for a tournament than Scotland. LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikealdo:

Are the ROI the biggest thiefs in football? They steal loads of players from other countries, admittedly the majority are english nobodies who took a trip to dublin once for a pint but they have pinched a few decent scots as well, houghton and mcgeady. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you born that ignorant or is it an aquired skill?

The ROI 'stole' McGeady and Houghton did they? Yes, I'm sure they were sleeping soundly when some emerald-clad intruder held a cloroform rag to their faces and whisked them away in the night icon_smile.gif

The fact is, they wear/wore the green because that's where their loyalties lay. Do you honestly believe if McGeady and Houghton were proud Scotsmen that they'd play for any other country other than Scotland?! Gimme a break.

In any case, I applaud their good taste icon_smile.gif The schizoid nature of Scottish pride is mind-boggling. Here you have a nation that unashamedly takes every opportunity to scorn their old enemies the English, yet broadly accepts the label of 'British' - a purely English machination. In fact, I'm sure they'd have no problems whatsoever with handing in their blue shirts for a Team GB alternative, should it come to it icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps he should take an ignorance class. How much do you charge?

Houghton didn't get picked for Scotland because we had better players who played in his position, so it was the SFA's/Scotland manager's decision not to call him up.

With McGeady his parent nation did not get first refusal so it's a little different. If anything its UEFA's fault, they should have a rule that a parent nation should have first refusal on a player till he hits a certain age.

Am I bitter that McGeady and to a lesser extent McCarthy have chosen to represent a foreign nation? Absolutely. I can already hear the boos for McGeady when the Celtic cup begins.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikealdo:

Here you have a nation that unashamedly takes every opportunity to scorn their old enemies the English, yet broadly accepts the label of 'British' - a purely English machination. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, here we have a nation that, unlike our neighbours, KNOW that "Britain" and "England" are not the same thing.

As for the GB Olympic team, the majority of the squad must be under 23 so that rules out most of the names mentioned!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eggfwiedwice:

I asked about a GB team aaaaaaaaaaages ago and I was told it would be too hard to implement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's confirmed in real life, I'm sure SI would put it in the game. but it isn't, so they haven't.

the guy that said hutton, bale and gordon would be the only worth mentioning is right. hutton and bale could well be the best full-backs in the uk and they will be better by 2012.

as for the guy that said;

steven davis - about to get relegated, hasn't done a thing this season, could resurrect career but unlikely

barry ferguson - how old will he be in 2012, also england have plenty of better players, even huddlestone will be better

kris boyd - scores a lot of goals at a low league level, rangers don't even rate him as he seems to get left out in europe

scott brown - good player, might make the squad, we'll see,

mcfadden - won't be a spring chicken in 2012, he's a good premiership player but only good when he's at a smaller club, will be overlooked

The schizoid nature of Scottish pride is mind-boggling. Here you have a nation that unashamedly takes every opportunity to scorn their old enemies the English, yet broadly accepts the label of 'British' - a purely English machination. In fact, I'm sure they'd have no problems whatsoever with handing in their blue shirts for a Team GB alternative, should it come to it icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

excuse me, but i'm scottish, not british in any way shape or form. if there were to be a team GB at the olympics, the only reason i would support them is because it's the olympics and we compete in that as one big nation whereas at commenwealth level, it splits us up. so, if scotland were in the olympics as one seperate entity, i would be screaming for english blood. as it's not going to be that way, i'll scream for some other european nation's blood. and watch brazil win.

as for handing over the tartan army colours for a team gb jersey, nah i'll pass.

for me the nature of england fans is amusing. having lived south of the border for many a year now, it's quite interesting to see that all englishmen have this feeling of divine right to win. every game is the same. every tournament the same. "we're the best. we'll win this time. This is the golden generation."

But hey recognising that your league is responsible for the national team's fortunes is something that the FA and fans haven't yet realised. 10 years ago the SFA and it's fans saw very little youth players coming through, lots of foreigners coming to our shores (often mediocore) and they did something about it. they limited the reserves and youth football teams to playing a certain number of young scottish players. So our youngsters got better. they got into the teams, the foreigners got better, the national team improved. the league slowly improves, their forays into europe got longer, and we will see more benefits in the future.

as for england, well, they have to act now, before half the england team is made up of championship level players. having said that, i don't really care. C'mon France!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spagbol:

I think you'll also find several of the players who chose Ireland were born in England to Irish parents/grand parents wanted to play for Ireland because of their heritage.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

^ This would be me if I was good enough

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirty1982dec:

The schizoid nature of Scottish pride is mind-boggling. Here you have a nation that unashamedly takes every opportunity to scorn their old enemies the English, yet broadly accepts the label of 'British' - a purely English machination. In fact, I'm sure they'd have no problems whatsoever with handing in their blue shirts for a Team GB alternative, should it come to it icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

excuse me, but i'm scottish, not british in any way shape or form. if there were to be a team GB at the olympics, the only reason i would support them is because it's the olympics and we compete in that as one big nation whereas at commenwealth level, it splits us up. so, if scotland were in the olympics as one seperate entity, i would be screaming for english blood. as it's not going to be that way, i'll scream for some other european nation's blood. and watch brazil win.

as for handing over the tartan army colours for a team gb jersey, nah i'll pass.

for me the nature of england fans is amusing. having lived south of the border for many a year now, it's quite interesting to see that all englishmen have this feeling of divine right to win. every game is the same. every tournament the same. "we're the best. we'll win this time. This is the golden generation."

But hey recognising that your league is responsible for the national team's fortunes is something that the FA and fans haven't yet realised. 10 years ago the SFA and it's fans saw very little youth players coming through, lots of foreigners coming to our shores (often mediocore) and they did something about it. they limited the reserves and youth football teams to playing a certain number of young scottish players. So our youngsters got better. they got into the teams, the foreigners got better, the national team improved. the league slowly improves, their forays into europe got longer, and we will see more benefits in the future.

as for england, well, they have to act now, before half the england team is made up of championship level players. having said that, i don't really care. C'mon France!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well said, mate. I agree with all of that 100%.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirty1982dec:

excuse me, but i'm scottish, not british in any way shape or form. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have a passport? If so, then what does it say on it?

If you have one I can guarantee you it says you are British and not Scottish.

If you claim otherwise, I'd like to see you try and go somewhere on a Scottish passport.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nobby_McDonald:

One thing I've just thought of... we are officially the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

So why does the UK compete at the Olympics as Great Britain? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Northern Irish athletes can compete for Great Britain or Ireland, can't they?

In the game, time spent in each of the home nations is counted seperately for 2nd nationality purposes, rather than together for a 'British' nationality as it should be in real life. Given that's never been sorted out, it would presumably be tricky to implement anyway.

As for the whole off topic argument about 'being British', politically it's true that everyone in the UK has the same passport, but that's quite clearly a seperate thing to the identity you feel. If you feel more Scottish or Welsh than British that's your choice, surely? By the same token, all English people are also European, but I doubt you'd get too many Daily Mail-reading little Englanders describing themselves as such.

Don't get too attached to Northern Ireland when considering notions of 'Great Britain'. The sands of time are beginning to lean heavily towards justice. The number 32 can clearly be seen on the horizon icon_biggrin.gif

Universal course-correction, you gotta love it icon_biggrin.gif

Don't get too attached to Northern Ireland when considering notions of 'Great Britain'. The sands of time are beginning to lean heavily towards justice. The number 32 can clearly be seen on the horizon icon_biggrin.gif

Universal course-correction, you gotta love it icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair as it stands just part of UK not Great Britain icon_wink.gif Easy mistake

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bermybhoy:

To be fair as it stands just part of UK not Great Britain icon_wink.gif Easy mistake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude to be honest, they're all inter-changeable to me. I'll leave the semantics to people those terms mean anything to icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bermybhoy:

To be fair as it stands just part of UK not Great Britain icon_wink.gif Easy mistake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude to be honest, they're all inter-changeable to me. I'll leave the semantics to people those terms mean anything to icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not "semantics" (please learn what that word means) as you say. N. Ireland is part of the UK. It is not part of Great Britain. So N. Irish nationals would be eligible for a hypothetical UK team, but not a GB team. That's just a fact, regardless of how you feel about it.

Also, isn't the Olympics an U-23 competition. So most of these players mentioned wouldn't play anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chucklechuck:

Dude to be honest, they're all inter-changeable to me. I'll leave the semantics to people those terms mean anything to icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not "semantics" (please learn what that word means) as you say. N. Ireland is part of the UK. It is not part of Great Britain. So N. Irish nationals would be eligible for a hypothetical UK team, but not a GB team. That's just a fact, regardless of how you feel about it.

Also, isn't the Olympics an U-23 competition. So most of these players mentioned wouldn't play anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what the word means. But for your benefit, the kind people at yourfreedictionary.com provide this definition:

semantics - the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.

If you can't understand that in the context of my previous post then perhaps you shouldn't be assuming the position of lecturer eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chucklechuck:

Also, isn't the Olympics an U-23 competition. So most of these players mentioned wouldn't play anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what the word means. But for your benefit, the kind people at yourfreedictionary.com provide this definition:

semantics - the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.

If you can't understand that in the context of my previous post then perhaps you shouldn't be assuming the position of lecturer eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I hope not to derail this thread any further but...

Unfortunately that's what happens when you google words you don't understand.

Semantics is the study of meaning. More technically, in linguistics it is the study of interpretation of signs. So, in the context you used it, it does not mean what you intend.

But I didn't mean to lecture. Let's get back to the topic at hand.

kris boyd. better than crouch, owen at the moment, defoe, walcott, and any other striker. then add any left footed player that plays for the other nations, alan hutton, david healy's international record speaks for itself.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think either kris boyd or david healy, considering he cant get a game for fulham would have a chance. Though I do think scott brown and alan hutton, and maybe craig gordon would stand a chance.

If the Olympics were tomorrow and team GB were entered, I'm guessing quite a few Scotts, Irish and Welshmen would get in. For example, Naismith, Fletcher and McDonald would walk in from Scotland.

Who'd be eligable from England that would want to play?

Richards, Walcott, Baines, etc.

I don't think it's been done in the past because of the length of time they'd be missing from their squads.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

It's not going to happen, on ceefax it said that Wales and Scotland didn't want to be part of a UK side, with only Northern Ireland and England wanting it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mainly due to confusion over world ranking points. (Scotland didn't want England ruining there International form icon_wink.gif) But seriously, I think it's a good thing it isnt happening, because if it did there would be a lot of arguments of why certain players werent picked.

Archived