Suggestions for a Career

So, since installing the game I can't decide on a team I would like to take forward. I usually like to take on a mid-table Prem team and have other leagues open so I can move abroad once I have achieved what I want to at my starting club. Unfortunately not a single team is jumping out at me! I started a save as Hibernian thinking a Scottish game might be quite interesting with DLR, but just couldn't get into it.

Any suggestions?

• SI Staff

Try some different countries. Load all the Eastern European countries up and start in Serbia, say.

Turkey is very well-researched, and you won't know any players there, that sort of league is a true test.

If you want the UK, try a smaller club such as one of the part-time ones in the (mainly full-time) Blue Square Premier such as Hayes & Yeading, Histon or Altrincham.

as gripper says, maybe take low serbian or croatian team to top of the there country and follow that up by increasing the countries rep to be one of the best in europe/world...

for me, i always do my first career with spurs (being a fan)... after that, i start unemployed and start where i can with maybe 5/6 countries with all leagues, and just go where-ever i can...

last FM i started with wrexham then got job @ QPR then Glasgow Rangers then VFB Stuttgart then Real Madrid (only had 4 countries)

So, since installing the game I can't decide on a team I would like to take forward. I usually like to take on a mid-table Prem team and have other leagues open so I can move abroad once I have achieved what I want to at my starting club. Unfortunately not a single team is jumping out at me! I started a save as Hibernian thinking a Scottish game might be quite interesting with DLR, but just couldn't get into it.

Any suggestions?

I'm doing one with Deportivo in Spain. They have a good history but in the first season are strapped for cash! Should be interesting

• 4 weeks later...
Try Athletic in spain. They only allow players from the Bilbao region.

Feels like you've really achieved something if you can do well with them.

Great shout, may have to attempt that myself although I doubt its likely that alot can be achieved due to the restrictions.

For a high level challenge as in top level club, I would suggest attempting to win the Champions League with Shakhtar.

Me and my friends have started this challenge:

Put the game on holiday for the first season then take over one of the two teams relegated from the football league to the blue square prem, your aim is to take them to premiership and champions league glory!

At the start you have no money, unhappy player and loads that want to leave and have contracts ending. You have to steady the ship and try to make your way back up the footballing ladder.

The setup is similar to Dafuges challenge, which is another option if you fancy a new type of game.

I started with a newly promoted team in the Croatian Second Division and I'm enjoying it immensely. It's a very challenging league, with a surprisingly poor reputation. In the first season, 5 teams (16 team competition) are relegated so the pressure is on right from the get-go to earn some points or you could very easily find yourself in the bottom third of the table. I was averaging around 40 people to home games and 100ish season tickets, so needless to say the finance side of things is also quite difficult. Prize money is generous though, emphasising the need to perform well to stay afloat.

The best part of managing in Croatia is in relation to foreigners. It only takes 2 years for citizenship, and there can be up to 6 non-Croats in the starting eleven. Hence, broadening your scouting horizons quickly is the key to success, as youngsters are generally fairly keen to move from Africa and can quickly become Croatian to ensure there are always free slots for more recruits.

I love how there seems such a difference between the1st and 2nd divisions. You need to live off scraps in Div 2 and make sure that any player with anything resembling talent is tied down for as long as possible to try to force the team to promotion. Then suddenly there's cash flying i from all directions and before you know it it's hard not to be in Europe. There really seems such a fine line between Div 2 relegation and European qualification!

I have stareted with Hearts in the Scottish League hoping to break up the old firm dominance. Im loving it at the moment as Im finding it quite difficult. I was very tempted to apply fot the job at the club I support Hull City once Nigel Pearson was sacked in the game but didnt as I want to take the club to at least one league win and be the manager who splits the dominance up

ive done somthing similar, started with aberdeen to try and break the old firm, 4 seasons in and im still trying! it is very difficult when you have little money and good players want a fortune to sign, plus you have to rebuild every few years as good players will want to move onto bigger things, i also want to try and get the rep of scotland up, see how it affects tv money and calibar of players.

If you want to manage in neither a Euopean Football Powerhouse like England, Spain nor in a really obscure country like Serbia, Cyprus you can always opt for Mid-table teams in Mid-reputation leagues like Switzerland, Norway, Poland etc.

Im currently managing a Swiss super league team, Grasshopper Club Zurich, and every season is a struggle till the end owing to about half the teams being title contenders!

I've seen a few people restrict their playing squad to all of one nationality.

Take on a second division Turkish team, say, and allow yourself to only use Turkish players. There seems to be some cracking young Turkish players coming through as regens in my game.

Archived