is it "cheating" to start a career with top league teams?

I would say it's easier and you won't get the same satisfaction as doing well with a smaller club but it's not cheating.

I will be taking over at Liverpool as it's the team I support and will find it a challenge to challenge for the title with an average squad and having to generate money.

Personally, I always go for a bottom tier (unless in England, then the Conference or League 2 take my fancy) club and work my way up. I just enjoy it more when you get a small club into the top league and then you can look at it and genuinely think "that's my team", as opposed to taking over a successful team, there isn't really a great deal you can achieve and work towards.

Each to their own though, as said above, it's what makes FM so awesome - The different amount of ways you can play the game!

No. There are people who are keen to play with current superstars in their squads which is in most cases only possible if you're starting with a top club. Personally I much prefer to spend the first or two decades to get a lower league club to national fame, before I'm sinking my teeth in becoming an European powerhouse. Once I'm at that point, clubs like Chelsea, Arsenal or Barca are not necessarily on top anymore and with newgens taking over all first team squads, it's a whole new ballgame.

I'm an Everton fan but I sometimes feel "guilty" if I start with them straight away. Of course I will still pick them for my first save game of the year, but after I have had some fun with the current squad I prefer to start a new save unemployed and with automatic reputation, climbing my way up the leagues.

Archived