An Absolute National Disgrace (bring back Steve McClarren)

This just happened in my game, I thought I'd share.

How embarressing a campaign could England have?

Well they could not qualify for the European Championships, that'd be pretty embarressing, though it's par for the course at the moment.

You could not qualify for the European Championships by being bettered by one of the minnows of international football, that'd be pretty embarresing too.

But not quallifying for the European Championships by being bettered by one of the minnows of international football, when that mnnow happens to be one of your neighbours and countrymen who you'd expect to hammer any day of the week.

That's really embarrasing.

Yes, England failed to qualify because Northern Ireland topped their group.

But still, that's not so bad, at least Northern Ireland are only a small part of the UK. It's not like the whole country's laughting at us (well they sort of are).

In times of crisis, the oldest of rivals north of the border can usually be relied on for some comic relief.

Oh wait, Scotland topped their group too.

Still, England managed second in their group, and that means a play off.

And theirs no shame in losing a one off (or two legged) match against top class opposition.

Lucky it was against Wales then.

So to summarise, not only did England fail to qualify for the Euros, but the three countries that will enjoy it most did, and enjoy braging rights in absolute terms, rather than relative.

And the weaker two of those combined to scupper their chances totally.

England are officially (and comprehensively) the fourth best team in the UK.

And despite me being english - that's really really funny.

Go on then - anyone seen a similarly hilarious tale of woe for any AI managed team?

Originally posted by nick...:

In times of crisis, the oldest of rivals north of the border can usually be relied on for some comic relief.

I didn't care for this remark.

But overall I find that hillarious, and the thing is, if this were the case in real life, most of England would be supporting Spain or something.

Originally posted by Graham FM:

did R.O.I qualify? if so it would make it more sweeter icon_wink.gif

where are R.O.I,ni,scotland,england,wales in the fifa rankings?

ROI didn't qualify - they lost out to Austria & Czech Republic.

England are 11th in the rakings (not sure how), ROI are 18th, Wales 20th, Scotland 34th and NI 40th.

None too bad, but bear in mind Sweden and Australia are 5th & 6th.

Originally posted by Mike7077:

Although, seeing as it's 2071, I wouldn't recommend bringing McClaren back. He's likely to be quite the corpse by then! It'd be like watching Sven on the touchline!

You never know, Doug Ellis is still alive...

This guy is a terrible manager terrible manager. First job since he stopped playing, and it's a miracle he's still in it.

Originally posted by andre17:

its time to start a new game dont you think? 2071 is so unrealistic!

Nah, I'm too involved with the fictional world. It just wouldn't feel right playing with real players.

Originally posted by G-Man11:

Why is is that there are playoffs and only one team from a group qualifying and only five teams in a group. Thats more like world cup qualification than euro's.

Norway and Sweeden are jointly hosting the euros. There are less spots avaliable, so the sytstem changes a bit.

Originally posted by Mountain Man:

Out of morbid curiosity, how old are you as the manager in this game ? :-)

Only 30!

I retire my manager at some point in his 60s, so the current Nick Hamill is actually the grandson of the one I started the game with.

Originally posted by Archy-91:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nick...:

I didn't care for this remark.

But overall I find that hillarious, and the thing is, if this were the case in real life, most of England would be supporting Spain or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe that wa a bit unkind - certanly considering the real life qualifying campaign you've just had. Good luck for the world cup.

Archived