Journalist request / favour to ask from Footy manager fans

Hello all.

I'm a huge Football / Champ manager fan and as a journalist I'm in the fortunate position to be writing an article about the best Champ / Football Manager players of all time.

The piece is an all time Footy manager XI, picking out the best players from each addition with a little information about who they were, where they played, what they were like in the game etc. Anyway I thought - who better to ask than the game's legion of fans? So I wondered if any of you fine people might be able to suggest a few classic players for me to write about. So basically, who were your favourite ever players and why? I'm thinking of The Serge Makofos and Michael Duffs of the world but any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Oh and if you happen to have any retro screengrabs that'd be even better

Cheers all.

DB

There are no issues with your request, but the FM 11 game was only launched 12 hours ago and the forums at the moment are full of people trying to get their game to run. Otherwise most other posters are away playing the game. This request might get a better response once the launch hiatus quietens down.

I would add Maxim Tsigalko, a Belarus player who was fantastic in the game and obscure IRL. Me and other very few people (I don't know why) also had a player called Anatolis Skalidis (on a previous CM version) which was absolutely astonishing striker (35-40 goals/year on average).

A journalist confusing "addition" with "edition"? Tut tut, where would you be without your subs :p

Mark Kerr, Luciano Zauri, Sebastien Frey, every Greek centreback like Tobros (I think), Andri Sigporsson (my personal favourite) and of course, the mythical To Madeira leap to mind.

has to be the great fernando cavenaghi - plenty of great players from the games turned into the greats we have now but few were as good without getting close to the potential in real life. was such a good striker, a goal machine, such good memories.

My first thought would include Peter Prospar from Trinidad. He was amazing and only 18 years old, on the next version he was completely crap and at the end of his career at the age of 30 :)

Julius Aghahowa was outstanding in one version, scored 40+ goals every season.

Romaschenko, I think he was playing for Shaktar at the time (dunno the version anymore, which goes for all these players) was an amazing DMC. I just had to buy him with every team I managed, wheter it was Man U or Westerlo. Not too hard since he was only 500k :)

And last but not least: Evandro Roncatto! My Brazillian superstar for years.

Super Kyle Wilson, Dale Watkins, Mike Duff and another Cheltenham player that I've forgottne, Jamie Victory maybe?

I 2nd the vote for Tonton Zola Mokouko and Cherno Samba....Legends!

What you really need to do is compile the starting 11 and then do a "Where are they now" piece on them....shoudl take you to all ends of the earth! :)

Juan Manuel Vargas, FM09 LB/LM Exactly like Gareth Bale is now, had the same attacking and defending attributes as he does IRL. Had the highest avg rating, loads of goals and assists, quality player. Sure lots of people will agree with me with him

Dont how recent you want it but Diego Buononette from FM 08 (which I'm still playing). Cherno Samba, Mark Kerr. Ross O Donahue, Mark Fotheringham and a striker from Northampton Justin Georcelin (spelling not right but close enough). Oh and I nearly forgot a couple from Sweden. Cristoffer Andersson(was chuffed when I found him in a later edition, can't remember which one) and Selokovic (can't remember first name)

from CM01/02 to 03/04 fausto rossini was my striker. pace and power, played brilliant as a lone striker.

mark kerr and mike duff were world beaters in previous games even though their stats were never amazing. duff and taribo west were a solid back line pairing for years.

i always signed stefan ishizaki for the bench. in the good old days of 5 subs it always paid to havw versatility and he played well on both wings

I'll add my support for Tonton Zola Moukoko, and a Colombian called Aritzabal (or something like that) in CM01/02 (or was it 02/03) absolute legend for me.

As for the FM series, well Stancu, Keirrison, Torje

Would have chosen John-Paul Duncliffe and Gareth Jellyman for full backs when they were at Peterborough. Can't remember which edition it was (possibly CM2) but I used to sign them for every club I started with. They would be first teamers straight away even at 17/18yrs old and dominate for seasons. In fact the whole Peterborough team was good. They also had Simon Davies and Matthew Etherington

have to back up some of the names that have already been listed, Saviola in his younger days probably 2000 season roughly, cherno samba, probably same edition. Cherno Samba started as a 15 year old boy at Millwall and turned into an absolute world beater, I think he had 20 for pretty much every attribute that was imporant to a striker. Pablo Aimar, again in his younger days ratings were class. As mentioned also above to Madeira, sign him for couple of hudred grand in one addition, I believe he was a made up player, the guy was an absolute goal machine. Other players who get my mention as ledgends of the game are, ronaldinho when at gremio could also say psg and barca but i prefer it when a player is relatively unknown. Vincenzo Montella, this guy was a goal machine in one of the editions around 2000. Schneijder van der vart and robben when they were really young. Marquinhos in the 2009 addition i believe. Julios agahawo in his shakhtar days, in one game many years ago i sold him for 78 million which was a world record. Also I have to give a mention to kikin fonseca in 2010 addition, i originally signed him for leeds in league1 and he was class so i tried seeing what he could do for man united in another save and was also class.

Taribo West because he was free and awesome in 01/02

Dont ever forget Kennedy Barkircioglu. He was brilliant. But I think Tonton pips him and Willie Howie is a massive shout

There was also Sanli Tuncay, who was also brilliant. I once sold him for 65 million + Kaka to AC Milan

Norwegian dude might have been Magne Hoseth

Im guessing the likes of Ori Freyr Oskarsson arent really going to be considered

There was a D/DM C called Mark Tobin who was immense in one the old ones. He started as a 14 year old and would miraculously jump from a 5 rating to an 8 after 55 minutes in every match - then you'd have to sub him because he tired very very easily.

My all time fav player from the 1992 cm was Roy Keane, at Nottingham Forest in that game he was a midfield maestro and Bryan Robson also for Man utd. That was the begining of the whole series for me from Doomark or SI as they are known now.

There was a D/DM C called Mark Tobin who was immense in one the old ones. He started as a 14 year old and would miraculously jump from a 5 rating to an 8 after 55 minutes in every match - then you'd have to sub him because he tired very very easily.

i used to always sign him, even though his stats never got that high for me

Archived