activation issues (3rd year running!!!)

bought game as digital download from game. got the activation key. they used a program called "byte shield" for the drm. used the activation key sent by game.

when i run fm2011 it opens the "byte shield" application and that is it!! no game loads. for god sake its not that hard to get these things right!!. anyone else experience this problem. i have spent £27.99 on a load of crap!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the problem lies in games activation system, thought i'd point that out seen as people quickly jump to conclusions without knowing the facts

maybe ask them by email/phone what is going on?

well the fact is that si use these companies to provide this service so therefore they have a joint responsibility with the 3rd party to get this right. as to your suggestion have you ever got a response from these people at 2 am in the morning. if si cant get this right they shouldnt offer a digital download as a product as it doesnt work!

• Administrators
i had this issue, heres what i did

right click on FM11

go to the application that runs it, right click and go properties

go to compatibility, and click "run as administrator"

try again...

This reportedly is known to sort out such issues you are experiencing, OP.

Try this. :)

• Administrators

Hi,

Make sure it is on your start menu.

Then, right click the file and you should have the option to "Run as Administrator".

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers.

Hi,

Make sure it is on your start menu.

Then, right click the file and you should have the option to "Run as Administrator".

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers.

i am the computer administrator and i dont need a password. the "byte shield " loads up then dissapears

• Administrators
i am the computer administrator and i dont need a password. the "byte shield " loads up then dissapears

Yeah, I understand that you are the computer administrator but there can still be issues with your permissions which would explain why byteshield closes, thinking you do not have the permissions to activate your game.

Please try this, and check the permissions as well for installing programs, thanks.

Yeah, I understand that you are the computer administrator but there can still be issues with your permissions which would explain why byteshield closes, thinking you do not have the permissions to activate your game.

Please try this, and check the permissions as well for installing programs, thanks.

You missed his reply above where he said he had XP and not Vista/Win7. Xp doesnt have "Run as Administrator".

how do i do that? ive never had any problem installing programs on my laptop before??

• Administrators

Apologies, doing my best to help here, and I'm on a Mac, myself at the minute.

There are a number of possibilities to solve your problem and I hope we can get this sorted.

You might want to try Microsoft's instructions for running a file as an administrator, by clicking this link, which should hopefully bypass problems you are experiencing.

Let me know how you get on :)

Edit - Link above is for XP.

• Administrators

Thought this would be of help also, if the above link confuses you somewhat.

My PC won't let me install the game

If you are having trouble installing the game please make sure you are on an Administrator account for your PC.

If it is failing on an administrator account try creating a new account and installing the game there:

To create a new account with administrator rights:

- Click Start

- Control Panel

- User Accounts

- (if using Vista or 7 click Manage another account)

- Create New Account

Choose account name eg. “Games”

- Click Next

Choose “Computer Administrator” as Account Type

- Click Create

After the account has been created

- Log Off via Start and Switch User

Choose the new account (eg. Games) to log in and install under the newly created account.

Thought this would be of help also, if the above link confuses you somewhat.

tried both methods. all i get is an application on the task bar at the bottom that says "byteshield-10" and it just hangs there and the application doesnt load!!

I had the same and after running as administrator I the got just passed that and then i get "FOOTBALL MANAGER 2011 11.1.0f157094 has stopped working" Wtf????

Play in Windowed Mode and it won't be happening anymore.

I'm experiencing the exact same problem as bluedean. Running XP as administrator I have played with the permissions in line with the suggestions above but to no avail. Every time Byteshield loads and can be observed "running" in the task manager applications however it then quickly changes to "not responding" and disappears from the task manager and FM does not fire up. I removed the demo and reinstalled in case there were conflicts however the response is identical on the second installation. Any other suggestions?

• Administrators

This is really frustrating and I'm stumped. All I can suggest is that you uninstall, clear your system of FM2011 but don't delete the certificates, and try to install it again.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

You can find out instructions on how to manual uninstall here

Hope we can get your game working soon.

i'd like to point out that this DRM issue is the fault of the digital retailer, not SI Games. the issues they had with this sort of thing, well they took the issues on board and fixed them. while i agree this is unacceptable, dont blame the devs for this one.

This is really frustrating and I'm stumped. All I can suggest is that you uninstall, clear your system of FM2011 but don't delete the certificates, and try to install it again.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

You can find out instructions on how to manual uninstall here

Hope we can get your game working soon.

tried that not working. its now 4 hours. why cant these things be sorted out well before the release date!!. i will be asking game for a full refund in the morning as ive wasted enough time on this already

I am having the same problem have gone though these steps go to compatibility, and click "run as administrator" which opens the game but as soon as it gets to the main meun it talls me it cant read the disk. As i downloaded the game from Game i dont actual have a disk to use

I downloaded from Game. I've installed the game and when I click on the FM11 shortcut it comes up with byteshield client I log in and it comes up with the Byteshield client has stoppend working box.

I am not a happy bunny I tell you.

Sorted it- right clicked on my desktop shortcut, went to properties - compatability and checked the box that said run as administrator.

Done.

tried that not working. its now 4 hours. why cant these things be sorted out well before the release date!!. i will be asking game for a full refund in the morning as ive wasted enough time on this already

Hi BlueDean - can you PM me - I would like to try and resolve this issue for you.

I am having the same problem have gone though these steps go to compatibility, and click "run as administrator" which opens the game but as soon as it gets to the main meun it talls me it cant read the disk. As i downloaded the game from Game i dont actual have a disk to use

Hi Shrew094,

You say it asks for a disc? You didnt apply the patch by any chance to this game did you? The patch is only meant for the 'disc' based version and the only way to fix is to uninstall the whole game and then reinstall without applying the patch.

I downloaded from GAME and installed it.Thats fine.

Had bother with Byteshield activating

I used 'run as administrator', the game starts, but, before it gets to the start menu it crashes(The screen just goes all white).

Is this something to do with Byteshield?!

Hi Steven,

At this point ByteShield has finished doing what it needs to. This looks like a game related issue - sorry, hate saying this - but have you checked that your graphics and audio drivers are up to date? As these can cause the issues you mentioned.

Hi dlatter,

Could you please explain in a little more detail what your issue is? When are you getting the crash report?

When i click on the desktop icon a window appears and instantaneously another appears, advising FM11 11.1.0f157094 has stopped working

When i click on the desktop icon a window appears and instantaneously another appears, advising FM11 11.1.0f157094 has stopped working

Hi dlatter,

Ok - have you tried to run as an administrator - using the advice given above?

right click on FM11

try again...

Hi Steven,

At this point ByteShield has finished doing what it needs to. This looks like a game related issue - sorry, hate saying this - but have you checked that your graphics and audio drivers are up to date? As these can cause the issues you mentioned.

I was using the demo fine, no problem there.

I was using the demo fine, no problem there.

Hi Steven,

Ok - can you possibly provide me with a little more information - so now when you run the game - I assume you're getting the 'red' ByteShield box saying 'application launching' - then what do you see?

Hi dlatter,

Ok - have you tried to run as an administrator - using the advice given above?

right click on FM11

try again...

Yeh tried this still same box appears!!!

Yeh tried this still same box appears!!!

Ok - I'm going to need some more information from you.

1) What Operating System are you running?

2) Where did you download the game from? (Which company)

3) Have you applied the patch (it's good news if you have not applied!)

4) What experience level on a PC would you consider yourself (novice, medium, expert) - will help me tailor instructions to you.

Thanks

Ok - I'm going to need some more information from you.

1) What Operating System are you running?

2) Where did you download the game from? (Which company)

3) Have you applied the patch (it's good news if you have not applied!)

4) What experience level on a PC would you consider yourself (novice, medium, expert) - will help me tailor instructions to you.

Thanks

1) vista

2) steam but i have the game cd as well

3) dont think so

4) NOVICE!!

Hi Steven,

Ok - can you possibly provide me with a little more information - so now when you run the game - I assume you're getting the 'red' ByteShield box saying 'application launching' - then what do you see?

Yes the game starts, goes through the opening credits ie the SIgames crest,SEGA screen, League Logos,copyrights etc.

Its just then, right before the Load game/New game menu it just goes white

Archived