Will Installing The Game Early Affect The Release Date Patch??

My deepest apologies if this doesnt merit it's own thread.

I received FM 2011 today through the post, however im holding off from starting a game until the patch comes out on release day. If i were to install FM onto my laptop now via steam (with the boxed version) would the game automatically update tommorow or would i need to do it manually? and how would i know that it has been updated?

Many thanks for your help!

My deepest apologies if this doesnt merit it's own thread.

I received FM 2011 today through the post, however im holding off from starting a game until the patch comes out on release day. If i were to install FM onto my laptop now via steam (with the boxed version) would the game automatically update tommorow or would i need to do it manually? and how would i know that it has been updated?

Many thanks for your help!

From what I have read in other threads, I think if you buy from Steam or buy the disc and install on Steam then Steam will automatically update the game now. So you will get the patch now but can't play until 12am. I could be wrong though and got the wrong idea.

Oh ok thanks. I pre-ordered and the game arrived this morning. I activated it through steam but cant play via steam before the deadline hence no patch. I can play through the disc obviously but I am reluctant to start a new game as I assume the patch will not work on pre-existing game. I also wanted to make basic editor changes like giving walcott 20/20 speed and david de gea his real life release clause of 17m but i am not sure if should do it yet because i know the patch has a couple data updates of its own and dont want to have to redo my edits on a different version of the original database.

Oh ok thanks. I pre-ordered and the game arrived this morning. I activated it through steam but cant play via steam before the deadline hence no patch. I can play through the disc obviously but I am reluctant to start a new game as I assume the patch will not work on pre-existing game. I also wanted to make basic editor changes like giving walcott 20/20 speed and david de gea his real life release clause of 17m but i am not sure if should do it yet because i know the patch has a couple data updates of its own and dont want to have to redo my edits on a different version of the original database.

Bits of the patch will. Data changes will NOT.

• Administrators

No sorry Nottingham Forest, it was aimed at the OP, not yourself. Just to clarify:

Installing it either way (offline) or through Steam, won't "mess up" or affect the release day patch.

If you activate through Steam, it will preload the patch for you and the game will be activated once it's unlocked on Steam.

If you activate it offline, you can play until then and download the patches when they are released, or activate it on Steam at that time.

Hope this helps.

Archived