Questions about 'Patches' from someone who hasn't downloaded one before!

Hi there just a couple of questions hopefully you guys can help me with.

Usually I just buy FM, install and play straight away and never bother to d/l patches etc that follow however after seeing the posts on here today regarding it being best to have to wait to get the patch before playing the new game I'm going to wait even though I am expecting to get the game via shop.to delivered today.

For future patches however, when you download them, do you have to then start a completely new game from scratch? or do the updates automatically work for the current game you are playing?

Many thanks in advance!

Kev

Hi there just a couple of questions hopefully you guys can help me with.

Usually I just buy FM, install and play straight away and never bother to d/l patches etc that follow however after seeing the posts on here today regarding it being best to have to wait to get the patch before playing the new game I'm going to wait even though I am expecting to get the game via shop.to delivered today.

For future patches however, when you download them, do you have to then start a completely new game from scratch? or do the updates automatically work for the current game you are playing?

Many thanks in advance!

Kev

The database isn't updated but all the changes to the match engine etc are added to the old save. There's no need to start a new one.

Any changes to the Match Engine will work with an existing save. This means any tactics you have working as you like on your save, may not work as well (or better) due to the ME changes.

Any data changes, i.e Liverpool's new board or the January transfers included in the February/March patch will require you to start a new game to use this data.

Any data changes, i.e Liverpool's new board or the January transfers included in the February/March patch will require you to start a new game to use this data.

I'm pretty sure that Miles has already confirmed that the patch which is due to be released tomorrow will contain the new Liverpool owners.

Hi guys, i'm hoping you can help me out too. Similar to Kevboman i have never downloaded a patch before either and at present am trying to download patch 10.3 for FM2010, but dont really know what i'm doing, when i click to download the patch am i supposed to open it or save it? when i have clicked open and go through what appears to be a download nothing happens and the game is still at version 10.1. However if i click on save, where am i meant to save it in order for the update to happen?

Sorry if this sounds a bit basic but i am a download virgin.

• Administrators

With a patch there are two ways to get it. If you install the game via Steam, when a patch is released it'll auto-update and add it to your game.

If you are running the game via a disc, you must manually download the patch. Once downloaded, you double-click it to run it, then you'll be given the option to 'update' it. (When you do this make sure the game is closed).

Once this is done your game will be updated.

Personally I don't start a new game with a new patch, but yes, if you want totally up to date data then you'll have to start a new game.

Hi guys, i'm hoping you can help me out too. Similar to Kevboman i have never downloaded a patch before either and at present am trying to download patch 10.3 for FM2010, but dont really know what i'm doing, when i click to download the patch am i supposed to open it or save it? when i have clicked open and go through what appears to be a download nothing happens and the game is still at version 10.1. However if i click on save, where am i meant to save it in order for the update to happen?

Sorry if this sounds a bit basic but i am a download virgin.

Save it somewhere you can find it, then double click it and run it.

I would say that a large majority of gamers never patch a game.

edit: actually; do SI have an idea of what the ratio sales/patch downloads is for FM?

I wouldn't say that. The few casual gamers who use PC (FM is probably one of the biggest casual games out there for PC i'd imagine?), but certainly for games like Fallout 3, where you need a decent computer etc... everyone will use patches.

Oh and that's no offesne intended. Just saying that due to the low minimum specs for FM, a lot of people can enjoy it without having to have a good understanding of computers.

I wouldn't say that. The few casual gamers who use PC (FM is probably one of the biggest casual games out there for PC i'd imagine?), but certainly for games like Fallout 3, where you need a decent computer etc... everyone will use patches.

Oh and that's no offesne intended. Just saying that due to the low minimum specs for FM, a lot of people can enjoy it without having to have a good understanding of computers.

Maybe, but it's just that if I'm having a beer with some friends and we're talking about pc games, most of them don't seem bothered with patches. Most of them don't even know they exist.

Or maybe I'm just in need of smarter friends ;D

Archived