AI transfer policy still not fixed?

So I did this for FM2010, and FM2011: it is ludicrously difficult to sell your best players even for free.

I played Arsenal many times in the last few FM's, but never tried to sell Fabregas. I imagine not many players would. But I was getting bored with being too successful (as you would, with a big club), so thought I might sell him. First I offered a large sum (40m); nothing. I lowered it, after a while, to 20m; nothing. This is when I remembered that the AI would never, ever, make offers for Fabregas. So I tried to sell him for free. Nothing. I reloaded then offered him for free from the get go. Nothing.

In the demo quickstart it is slightly better - Real Madrid have a 'minor interest' but won't go for anything more than ~5m. Before any of the insta-reply people say "lol selling fabregas u dumb" (been there before), my point is how many of us play a big club, then try and sell someone of the highest CA/PA of our own accord? More importantly, how functioning is a transfer AI if nobody will take a world class player for free?

This is related to a few other things I've seen in FM2010, where after a few years, very highly rated players such as Gourcuff and Dzeko might be unsettled and looking to move, but no big clubs would come to pick him up even on the cheap. Hell, I saw Gourcuff move to Werder Bremen on a free after running his contract out! Whether you are managing a big club or have taken a small one to greatness, I find that after 7-8 years your opposition is so poor, and so unable to replenish their squad with quality due to this idiotic AI, that there's no point. You spend time finding great newgens and keeping good real players, while Man Utd and Chelsea sign Shawcross and the like.

Transfer AI appears to work fine when interacting with the player himself (discarding complaints from people who want to pay 80m for every transfer). When you look, over the years, at the what AI is buying, it's ridiculous. I'm sitting here wondering whether buying another FM is worth it if this is still the case - thoughts? Is it better in your games?

Maybe it's better, I haven't played demo that much. But already I saw some strange signings. Real bought 32 year old Lleidson from Sporting 3M pounds and Atletico bought Ricardo Fuller from Stoke 3,5M pounds (I don't see that happening in real life). I understand that they needed strikers, but why do superclubs need to sign players who soon end there career??? They shoud try to sign star players or young potential star players.

For me it's always been a big problem, that good clubs are buying crappy players OR three superstars to one position. It maybe hard to implant in the game, but there should be some logic I think.

H. Larson to Man Utd at 35?

Maybe it's just that not many quality players are available in the first window. The transfers I've seen have been more realistic than ever this year. You will get the odd strange signing but that happens IRL.

I think we'll have to wait for the full game to see after a few seasons.

I don't suppose you have seen any mention of improvements in the manager's AI as far as tactics, personalities, etc go?

The AI in the series doesn't get the attention it deserves.

IF you are talking to me, then AI just need to train and buy better. Otherwise it becomes too easy to dominate with your force of regens and star players.

You were never going to have much luck selling him on the demo. SI have already stated that because teams already have their full squads from real life they are less likely to sign players in the first window.

Man, that didn't stop Chelsea spending another £60mill on players in my demo save. On Hangeland other general crap that they don't need.

I'm noticing the Premiership clubs buying LOADS of players aged 30+ initially, even in teams where I wouldn't thought they'd have enough registrations slots!?

Edit:

I agree with the OP. In most recent FMs we all see Man United never wins the league, and yet, they don't try to strenghten their squad. The AI never makes those BIG deals, e.g. buying players like Aguero, Dzeko, Neymar to top clubs.

May I add that in my game Man Utd were top of the league before I restarted

I agree that certain rep players should be snapped up when offered cheaply

Perhaps the AI routines has calculated the club can't afford the contract costs?

Does it really matter, though?

1) There's no harm in trying

2) You can sell him at a profit next season, getting rid of his wages in doing so

3) It's Fàbregas - who would improve any squad

Pretty much every club would be interested in Fàbregas for free, even if they had a full squad! They'd just sell someone else if necessary.

This transfer system is downright bizarre and has been for a while now.

What's bizarre is someone trying to give Fabragas away on a free. Perhaps this is the games way of keeping the game more logical? I don't know

What's bizarre is someone trying to give Fabragas away on a free. Perhaps this is the games way of keeping the game more logical? I don't know

Two wrongs don't make a right! If the player makes what the AI deems as a possible mistake (i.e. giving away Arsenal's best player on a free), the AI should ruthlessly take advantage of it, rather than proceed illogically.

Two wrongs don't make a right! If the player makes what the AI deems as a possible mistake (i.e. giving away Arsenal's best player on a free), the AI should ruthlessly take advantage of it, rather than proceed illogically.

That or block it in a sensible in game manner. Like Hill Wood slapping you round the back of the head and cancelling the transfer, declaring that the club's best player won't be allowed to leave for nothing.

Of course we need to accept that the demo is very limited - 1 quickstart, first window with reduced activity, etc, etc. (Although in the quickstart Chelsea always buys Neymar, Hangeland and a busfull of players...)

I just think this issue needs to get a lot more attention and if I end up getting FM11 I'm going to do some extensive looking into it. We have a lot of useful discussion on the forums about how the Match Engine works and how AI managers respond during a match (e.g. the dreaded 4-2-4), which I think is productive - but when it comes to transfers, 80% of threads are player-oriented (why can't I sign X). A lot more attention needs to be drawn to transfer AI which in fact is one of the biggest things in determining whether a long-term game will remain immersive & entertaining. We've got some very nice improvements for long-term gaming in dynamic league rep & newgen revamp, I think next step has to be the joke that is the transfer AI.

Of course, but I tried to offload him for appropraite amounts (ranging between 20m-40m pounds) before I tried the ridiculous. Actually, there shoudl be clubs lining outside my door even at 20m to buy Fabregas, but I wanted to test what was going on.

If it is a case of clubs saying "we already have great players in that position" or "we want to save money" or even "we can't attract him / wage concerns", yeah, they might not go for 20m. But Fabregas on a free? The AI algorithms need to be saying that the sheer value for money there trumps all other considerations. Imagine if Messi was available on a free, even Arsene Wenger would go for him and leave his youngsters high & dry.

If it was just that one bizarre incident then again I could give the game the benefit of the doubt, but it's backed up by something all of us that have played long term games know: the AI sucks at making good transfers. In simple terms, they often sell, or retire, world class players then replace them by paying way too much for ordinary players. In FM2010 you were much more likely to see Lampard propping up the Chelsea team at the age of 33, and then eventually being replaced by someone much worse (but costing a lot). With no mention of transfer AI improvements I don't hold much hope for FM2011 doing a lot better, but we will see soon enough.

The problem with this is that after 10-12 seasons all the top clubs have totally declined, leaving no challenge in the league or in Europe. The only reason I had a title rival after 10 seasons was because Man City spend 30 million on 32 year olds.

The AI managers need to be much better than they were in FM10, or by the time you hit 15 years it will be all about seeing if you can win the 4 trophies, or go a season without losing, rather than a fun race to titles.

The AI could do with a look at, I got a good example of a terrible AI transfer.

I was Villa and I left to join City. I got Villa into the champions league, thus meaning they could atract some decent players. Anyway I left and took over City, and the new AI manager took over at Villa sold most of the best players, starting with Otamendi, they sold him to United for 17m a decent profit made but when to go to replace him they sign none other than Titus Bramble for 10.5m. I was like WTF? Titus Bramble, surely a champions league team wouldn't spend 10.5m on a 31 year old center back that probably couldn't cut it in the championship anymore!

Another thing, it seems the AI only seems to try an sign the players I want??? I offered for Neymar, nobody else was interested so I offered for him and then the next day, AC Milan offer for Neymar. AC ended up getting him so I had to look elsewhere, but why did they only offer when I made an offer?

Archived