Does database size influence the quantity of regens ?

I'm referring to most of the recent FM games (from 09 to 11).

A simple example:

- Game number one: Leagues selected (fully detailed/playable) - England, Italy, Spain. Database size: LARGE

- Game number two: Leagues selected (fully detailed/playable) - England, Italy, Spain. Database size: MEDIUM

Let's say i get to year 2030 in both games. Will I have more regens popping out in the LARGE database game (compared to the medium one) ? Or will it be pretty much the same ? I'm referring to all regens in the game. So not only the ones coming from the playable leagues, but also the ones coming from other countries (brazil, russia, china etc) - YES, i do realize that the ones coming from unplayable leagues will be just a few.

I'm not very sure but i tend to believe that database size only influences the number of players that you get at the beginning of a new game (the bigger the database, the more players you have to choose from at game start, but without any considerable effect on long term games... 20+++ seasons). Am I wrong ?

Speaking from my personal experience, database size does not matter.

Like you say - fully detailed leagues will create more players than inactive ones.

ie. Man United (active) will get 7 or 8 members into their youth squad each season

Debrecen (inactive) will only get 2 maximum.

Based on FM10, using the largest database.

The database size accounts for retired players and replacement regens to keep the database size roughly constant. Playable leagues will always have more players initially loaded into the database, so there will always be more retirees/regens in those leagues.

The database size accounts for retired players and replacement regens to keep the database size roughly constant.

Never realized that the regen system is based on this (replacing retired players with roughly an equal amount of regens). If this is the truth, does it mean that FM can be "tricked" to generate a whole bunch of regens without actually stressing out the processing time too much ?

Until now, If i wanted lots of regens (and I do want that) I would select as many playable leagues as possible. An ok solution, but lots of leagues = lots of processing = slower game.

Now I'm thinking: select only 3-4 countries, the ones where i actually plan to manage a club in, and use the option to also load all players from a bucnh of other countries.

Let's say I pick England, Italy and Spain as playable, and load all players from Germany + Brazil + USA. Will this mean that after 20-30 seasons, the amount of regens i get from Germany, Brazil, USA (the non playable leagues from where i loaded all of the available players) will be pretty much the same as the amount i get from England, Italy and Spain (the playable leagues) ?

If the formula is (roughly) 1 retired player = 1 regen, that should be the case, right ? lots of retired german players = lots of german regens, despite the fact that the german leagues are not playable.

• SI Staff

Technically the game does indeed try and maintain the number of players for each nation in the long run, so loading more players from inactive nations will result in the clubs in those nations also producing more newgens in the long run to keep the balance as the older players retire.

Edit: Just to note, the game does not add one newgen per each retired player, but the number of players from a certain nation at any given year in the game is compared to the number of players that nation had at the start and then the number of newgens created for that nation that year is adjusted as needed (up or down) to get the totals closer to the original counts.

Never realized that the regen system is based on this (replacing retired players with roughly an equal amount of regens).

It's not a one-for-one replacement every off-season, but every year players retire and player are created so that the database replenishes itself over time. If you add more players to the initial database, your game will always have more players over time. In my experience, the database fluxuates, but stays "relatively" constant to the starting number of players. So in other words: what Riz Remes said. :)

Let's say I pick England, Italy and Spain as playable, and load all players from Germany + Brazil + USA. Will this mean that after 20-30 seasons, the amount of regens i get from Germany, Brazil, USA (the non playable leagues from where i loaded all of the available players) will be pretty much the same as the amount i get from England, Italy and Spain (the playable leagues) ?

If the formula is (roughly) 1 retired player = 1 regen, that should be the case, right ? lots of retired german players = lots of german regens, despite the fact that the german leagues are not playable.

This would have worked except that players stat improvment etc are processed daily (This only uses one core) . Whereas the leagues are processed only on matchdays (Uses all cores).

Well that's great news and solves my problem (fast game vs high number of players) when creating a new game . I'll just select 3-4 fully detailed countries (which should run fine on a quad core machine) and i'll add to that all of the players from another 10-12 nations (without actually making these countries playable). From what i've read here, this should result in a pretty fast game (fast because the only things processed are games played in those 3-4 countries), while also having a high amount of players in-game, even after the regens take over.

Thanks for the answers :)

This would have worked except that players stat improvment etc are processed daily (This only uses one core) . Whereas the leagues are processed only on matchdays (Uses all cores).

Yeah but until now, in order to get lots of players even in long games (20++ years) i used to select lots of playable leagues. At least now, by selecting a few playable and a few more "load players only" leagues, i can get rid off the processing time needed to process the games in the other leagues :) (which i would've ended up not playing anyway)

It's like this:

1) Game 1: italy and spain fully playable + england load all players. Game processes players from italy, spain and england, and matches only from italy and spain.

2) Game 2: italy, spain and england fully playable. game processes players from italy spain and england, and matches from italy spain and england.

It's pretty clear that game 2 will be slower than game 1, despite the fact that in both games there are pretty much the same amount of players involved (at the start of the game but also after 20++ seasons)

It's pretty clear that game 2 will be slower than game 1, despite the fact that in both games there are pretty much the same amount of players involved (at the start of the game but also after 20++ seasons)

Correct. But only on matchdays.

PS I would like to ask how does FM slows down after 20 or 30 seasons if the no of leagues/players are similar. AFAIK Older match reports start to get deleted from the saves after a season.

In my past experience, the speed is pretty much the same as season one. The only thing that really changes is the time needed to make a save game (and the size of the save game file :D)

In my past experience, the speed is pretty much the same as season one. The only thing that really changes is the time needed to make a save game (and the size of the save game file :D)

Really? That good. I see lots of people moaning about unplayablity after 10 seasons.

I played FM 2010 until ~2028 (with fully playable italy, romania, france, spain, argentina - first division and england - premiership) and i cannot say that the game slowed considerably in the late years. But as I said, i ran the game mostly on a decent machine (quad core, 3-4 GB of ram), maybe that also made the difference. Unfortunately i deleted the save game so i can't upload it anywhere for you to test it. If you really want a save game I think you'll be able to find one on the forum... i remember one guy went on holiday until something like 2050 :)

Regarding 10 seasons i can assure you it's not like that. For me the game really starts after 10 seasons (i just love it when regens replace most of the old players, and that usually happens after the first 10 seasons)

Archived