How soon do you jump into next match?

When you first start your team and manager setup there are a lot of news items and people to deal with until you can play that elusive first friendly. But what about mid-season; how much time do you spend on tactics, training, chatting up agents/staff/players before you go into the next match?

I would like to have almost a real time approach playing 2-3 matches a week. So to have time to the think how to face next opponents. A step more towards reality. Usually at end the end of the season I speed up a little more. In this way, if I like the game, I usually play 8-10 seasons before releasing of new FM edition.

I really am surprised to see how quickly people play.

The detail level in the latest FM is so high and there are so many factors and variables to consider that you would have to spend a lot of time tweaking your team and things around it before you jump into the next game. Most people I know just do the basics and then they play match after match, usually with a depressed expression wondering why their team is failing and then they decide to blame bugs and whatnot.

Pressing the space bar more than 4 times in one week isn't "quick" lol.

I just set up the tactics, bid for the players I want, offer to clubs the players I don't want then got on with a match. Usually 20 minutes before my first match then I set everything up bit by bit before the league starts.

Actually once I have everything customised the way I like it, it doesn't take that long - just some tactics tweaking during matches, really.

That said, at the start of the season it takes several days IRL - to do training, scouts, coaches, transfers, shortlists, and ensuring the club has a good youth team.

I would like to have almost a real time approach playing 2-3 matches a week. So to have time to the think how to face next opponents. A step more towards reality. Usually at end the end of the season I speed up a little more. In this way, if I like the game, I usually play 8-10 seasons before releasing of new FM edition.

2-3 matches a week!!!

I can get 2-3 seasons done in a week but i do play on como only.

That said, at the start of the season it takes several days IRL - to do training, scouts, coaches, transfers, shortlists, and ensuring the club has a good youth team.

I suppose it all depends on what team you've decided to manage. Smaller team in lower divisions might take longer time to setup properly as you want it than the big teams that are prime suspects to win PL.

I think he means he doesn't listen when a news item says the agent of so-and-so has offered his players services to your club. Prefering to bid for players on his own.

I think it adds a very nice touch to the game but it's not something I use extensivly either. I rather go for players I've chosen myself.

I play seasons very quickly, once my transfers/staff/training is done at the start, I get through the season in about 6-7 hours (commentary only). I only use one tactic, exactly the same one for every team I manage and it always serves me well. Never change anything except for switching from attacking to control sometimes in matches. I'm more about signing and developing players than tactics, I don't pay any attention to tactics at all, my attacking 4 4 2 works with every team at any level. People say the tactical side of FM is important, but I just can't see it. I have more than enough success without ever changing them.

I play seasons very quickly, once my transfers/staff/training is done at the start, I get through the season in about 6-7 hours (commentary only). I only use one tactic, exactly the same one for every team I manage and it always serves me well. Never change anything except for switching from attacking to control sometimes in matches. I'm more about signing and developing players than tactics, I don't pay any attention to tactics at all, my attacking 4 4 2 works with every team at any level. People say the tactical side of FM is important, but I just can't see it. I have more than enough success without ever changing them.

What he said.

i fly through the weeks once the season starts. i only like to sign players from start of may until the season kicks off in august. after that its only loans to cover injuries. or a bid for a player whos transfer listed who would improve my side significantly.

the only thing i really do a lot in the season besides play matches is scouting

The detail level in the latest FM is so high and there are so many factors and variables to consider that you would have to spend a lot of time tweaking your team and things around it before you jump into the next game. Most people I know just do the basics and then they play match after match, usually with a depressed expression wondering why their team is failing and then they decide to blame bugs and whatnot.

Like what, Im not saying your wrong or anything, Im just curious :)

So you just pick a standard 4-4-2 attacking formation and that's it? just curious

I play a flat 4-4-2 yea, have done in FM for years, set the team strategy to attacking (balanced), assign individual roles to my players. Then just leave it like that for my whole career. I change the strategy sometimes during games but that's it. It works very well for me with every team from Man Utd, to Plymouth, to Stevenage.

The key for me, and my main enjoyment of the game, is consistently improving and developing my squad, rather than fiddling with my tactics.

So you just pick a standard 4-4-2 attacking formation and that's it? just curious

Archived