steam questions plz help!

what is steam??

if i buy on steam can i play on a laptop and my pc ? and at the same time?

Steam is a program that a lot of people use that you can use to activate your game so you no longer need the disk.

Yes, you could play on two or more PCs, though I think you'd have to play in offline mode.

I have a few questions on Steam, as I'm based in the US and can't buy a hard copy on Friday:

1. If I download through Steam do I have to launch the game through Steam?

2. If I decide to buy the CD when I'm back home (in Ireland) will saved games in my Steam version be compatible with my CD installed version?

3. Does Steam effectively download the contents of the CD onto your hard drive?

Just wondering as I remember some very bad reports of Steam a couple of years ago, and I haven't used it since.

Undecided if I'll just hold out for a CD version.

Thanks

I may be proved wrong with these but from my experiences with FM2010 I'll hopefully be right.

1. As long as you launch it once through steam so it can associate it with your logon I think you can play it without a steam connection. If you doubleclick on the icon it will tell you that steam is unavailable and do you wish to play offline.

2. Why are you buying the game twice? But yes, steam saves in the same place as the cd version

3. Yes - and it also means you dont need the cd in the drive to play the game

I've never actually met anyone who hasn't used Steam before, I have 120+ games on it - it's so strange to change your way of thinking about something that you take for granted could be viewed as suspicious by other people. Anyway there are no ( imo ) noticeable differences in using Steam, and plenty of upsides. The main one being you dont need to change cd's or hunt for nodvd hacks when buying games through it. You also never need to hunt for cd's to play that game you uninstalled 3 years ago, it's just there waiting to be installed again for free. Achievements are stangely addictive too :)

Archived