Steam pre-loading has begun

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean? I play boxed so don't really understand it all.

The game is loaded onto your computer, but can't be unlocked until 12:00 midnight GMT Friday. Steam does this to avoid everyone downloading the game at once and overloading their servers.

And it's not really that big a deal for FM, since it usually only takes 5 or 10 minutes to download. Still it's 5 or 10 minutes more playing time on Friday.

i guarantee it takes a bit longer than 10 minutes for most people

it's 8gb file even at 1.3mb/ps you'd be looking at 20 minutes

my speed usually hits 1.3mb/ps :( today though it's only hitting 450kb/ps

i guarantee it takes a bit longer than 10 minutes for most people

it's 8gb file even at 1.3mb/ps you'd be looking at 20 minutes

Just checked, it's 1.8 gb. Thought 8 gb sounded too much.

You can use the editor by the way, if anybody wants to check player ratings or change anything ready for Friday.

Just checked, it's 1.8 gb. Thought 8 gb sounded too much.

You can use the editor by the way, if anybody wants to check player ratings or change anything ready for Friday.

that's weird i could of sworn i seen the boxed version of fm10 say it was 8gb of HD sapce required

my bad

1.8 gb for all that information sounds a bit suspect, unless ofc it's compressed to 1.8gb and uncompressed to 8gb?

any way to force a pre loading if you haven't bought on steam yet? Waiting for boxed to arrive which I'll install onto steam, but would be nice to just plug in the code rather then have install it and stuff.

that's weird i could of sworn i seen the boxed version of fm10 say it was 8gb of HD sapce required

my bad

1.8 gb for all that information sounds a bit suspect, unless ofc it's compressed to 1.8gb and uncompressed to 8gb?

Just checked the FM 2010 system specs on steam and last year only required 2 gb of free hard drive space. System Requirements for FM 2011 on steam also only show 2gb required. Its all of our save games and add-ons (face packs, skins, sounds, ect) that many of us add that really take up the majority of the space. Save games in FM can get fairly large :)

Its great to see steam offering the option to pre-load early this year. This should help alleviate even more stress on release day if most of us have already downloaded it and are just downloading the patch.

edit: o.O Its very interesting that the editor is apparently already available. I guess I will have to avoid certain parts of the forums for the next few days.

I have a question for any of the guys from SI. I have been informed by EB Games in Australia that they have dispatched my boxed version of the game. So I expect to recieve it Thursday daytime. I will install it via Steam. Is Steam cleaver enough to allow me to use the game with the latest updates once I recieve it even if it is prior to UK 5th of Nov? If not that would be very disapointing as I would have done all I could to comply with yor requirements. I would hope once I have a licenced copy I would be able to use ASAP even by using Steam

I have a question for any of the guys from SI. I have been informed by EB Games in Australia that they have dispatched my boxed version of the game. So I expect to recieve it Thursday daytime. I will install it via Steam. Is Steam cleaver enough to allow me to use the game with the latest updates once I recieve it even if it is prior to UK 5th of Nov? If not that would be very disapointing as I would have done all I could to comply with yor requirements. I would hope once I have a licenced copy I would be able to use ASAP even by using Steam

no, the patch wont be available until it is actually released. I think this will be during the day on Friday (UK) so it will be friday night/saturday morning in australia.

I dont see steam not allowing you to use it early as the 5th of novemver here (say the shops open at 9) will be 10PM thuersday the 4th in the uk, surely steam will recognise the time and date where you are.

Preload complete , my steam says it will be available in 1 day 15 hours which will be 23.00 thurs 4th does that mean we can start playing then?

also last year I remember someone saying that you should uninstall last years version of the game, for the new one to install properly is this correct?

also is it an idea to uninstall the 2011 demo or will this be a saved game on the new game ?

Preload complete , my steam says it will be available in 1 day 15 hours which will be 23.00 thurs 4th does that mean we can start playing then?

also last year I remember someone saying that you should uninstall last years version of the game, for the new one to install properly is this correct?

also is it an idea to uninstall the 2011 demo or will this be a saved game on the new game ?

I currently have 2008,2009, 2010, 2010 demo and 2011 demo installed on the same PC and I have never had any problems installing or playing so I don't think so

Archived