Why aren't the fixture lists ever the same as IRL?

How come the FM fixtures lists are never the same as real life fixtures lists? I'm obviously talking Premiership, la Liga etc...i think i'd quite enjoy having the same fixture in game as the real life team does, because it'd be fun making comparisons, although it's not exactly essential.

Anybody else?

christ how can a fixture list be copyrighted, what the hell is the point?

They have been copyrighted in England since the late 1950's.

The point... it makes the football leagues a lot of money because newspapers, magazines, TV companies, websites, computer games etc etc have to pay to use them.

this is not a completely cut and dried subject.

read all about the latest news here

for those who cba to read it, currently not everyone is paying for the use of the fixture list, as a hearing in the European Cout of Justice in 2004 decided that the list was not covered by database right.

however, the blokes who make the list took the case to the English Crown Court, where in April a judge decided it was covered by database copyright.

dont ask me the difference, but an appeal is due this month, and then there'll be more hearing after that. could drag on for a while...

further to this, Football DataCo, who own the 'rights' to the fixtures, currently look after rights for the premier league, the football league, scottish prem and scottish football league...

so if SI can produce fixtures of one league they can surely do them all?

further to this, Football DataCo, who own the 'rights' to the fixtures, currently look after rights for the premier league, the football league, scottish prem and scottish football league...

so if SI can produce fixtures of one league they can surely do them all?

They Football League and Scottish Prem are licensed in game hence why real fixtures can be used but they don't hold the license to the Premiership or its fixtures. To get them they'd need to pay for what is really a very unneeded addition.

They have been copyrighted in England since the late 1950's.

The point... it makes the football leagues a lot of money because newspapers, magazines, TV companies, websites, computer games etc etc have to pay to use them.

There's something in my memory which makes me want to say that the Football League copyrighted them when they realized the Pools companies (Littlewoods, Zetter etc) were making profits on the back of them. Probably Alan Hardaker's idea (with apologies to the youngsters who won't know this name).

at the end of the day why does it matter really? It would be for one season only, not really any drama is it?

no-ones making a drama here. Possibly except for you. It was just a mere observation that it might be a nice addition. I even said it was not vital, just a nice little thing for us to enjoy. No big deal.

you have misunderstood mate. i foolishly forgot how alot of people react to tiny little things on here and used a term that is used a lot looser where i am from, i didnt mean that you were over reacting etc.

my apologies for not being clearer

it's alright i overreacted to your post anyway, no apologies needed :)

Archived