Is Second nationality enough?

When you create a new manager, you have the option of choosing a second nationality for yourself after your first nationality. But you cannot choose a 3rd. Obviously not many people would have a 3rd nationality anyway but what if you were English born, but with French grandparents for example but you had lived in Germany for say 6 years as a child. Again, this is hardly the norm but if this WERE the case, you would have to choose between German and French as being your 2nd nationality. Is there a need for a 3rd do you think?

Fair enough. Is there actually a benefit to having german as 2nd nationality as opposed to French? If not, then it's probably down to personal taste and others might choose differently. What if you managed in Belgium for 5 years on the game. Could you gain Belgian nationality then?

There's a big difference between having a second nationality, and qualifying to play for a national team.

Your nationality will generally be defined by where you were born, and/or the nationality of your parents. Grandparents don't really come into it.

Living in Belgium for 5 years won't make you Belgian. However, as a player it may make you eligible to play for the national team.

Arsene Wenger isn't considered anything but French, even after managing in Japan and England for years.

I believe there is only 2 nationality slots available to stop people abusing it to have many languages spoken at the start. While it limits people who are truly multi-lingual, I'd prefer that rather than some idiot who picks most major nationalities to make life easier in-game...

There's a big difference between having a second nationality, and qualifying to play for a national team.

Your nationality will generally be defined by where you were born, and/or the nationality of your parents. Grandparents don't really come into it.

Living in Belgium for 5 years won't make you Belgian. However, as a player it may make you eligible to play for the national team.

Arsene Wenger isn't considered anything but French, even after managing in Japan and England for years.

Yes But if Wenger wanted a British passport then there should be no problems in applying for one as he has lived and worked over here for 14 odd years.

I agree we should have more input when creating our manager profiles, especially with the likes of languages spoken, favoured personel etc..

I also think there is a good argument for being able to create a past playing career / coaching history for ourselves. I think that would add alot to the game for some people. Expanding on simply selecting a starting reputation would give a bit more to our profiles

One of the primary benefits from a secondary nationality is the scouting knowledge of that country that you have at the start of the game.

Makes my Welsh second nationality pretty useless then. :(

I couldn't even get the national job with it. Bahh. :)

I was born in England to a Dutch father and an Irish mother (but consider myself Irish) so would love this option. Tri-nationalities are certainly possible in theory, however in my case, I can only claim Dutch citizenship if I renounce both my Irish and British citizenship so in FM I just put Irish with English as a second nationality and leave the Dutch nationality out altogether.

The thing that annoys me is, not that you can't choose a 3rd nationality, but you have no choice over your languages.

For example: when I create myself as a manager, my only nationality is American. The game automatically makes it so I know English and Spanish. In reality, I barely know any Spanish, but I took German in both high school and college- a more realistic profile would make it so that I know English and German (basic).

I absolutely CANNOT believe that if you choose the United States as your nationality, you automatically are able to speak fluent spanish. That really is unbelievable. As if all Americans can speak Spanish! What a load of tripe! Most cannot speak a single word outside English.

Sorry not having a dig against you arranobeltza you learnt basic German as you say but americans are notoriously lazy when it comes to foreign languages and I have no idea why SI decided to do this lol.

The thing that annoys me is, not that you can't choose a 3rd nationality, but you have no choice over your languages.

For example: when I create myself as a manager, my only nationality is American. The game automatically makes it so I know English and Spanish. In reality, I barely know any Spanish, but I took German in both high school and college- a more realistic profile would make it so that I know English and German (basic).

Ditto for Singapore. We don't all speak Malay. Nearly 80% of us are Chinese.

FMRTE can add a third nationality (i add it) but as far as i know, not the choice on languages

Im australian with italian and irish families, both with spanish roots. I speak basic italian and little spanish. But the game has no choice over changing that. Would it be possible for fmrte editor in fm11 to change that?

Agreed. I have been to Singapore and Malaysia and I can safely say that the majority are Chinese. Sounds like SI need to do a bit more research. Hopefully this can be in the 11.2 patch?

It isn't research related. All "official" languages of a country (in Singapore's case, English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil) that are in the game database (so not Welsh in Britain, for example) are automatically given to every regen or human manager with that nationality.

Ideally, we'd get to select three or four languages that we spoke independent of our nationality (in my case, fluent English, with basic French and German), and I hope SI get that feature in at some point in the future.

I absolutely CANNOT believe that if you choose the United States as your nationality, you automatically are able to speak fluent spanish. That really is unbelievable. As if all Americans can speak Spanish! What a load of tripe! Most cannot speak a single word outside English.

Sorry not having a dig against you arranobeltza you learnt basic German as you say but americans are notoriously lazy when it comes to foreign languages and I have no idea why SI decided to do this lol.

Some Americans have trouble speaking English sometimes, much less Spanish. ;)

I'm eligible for Canada, Hong Kong, and China but I have to give up Canadian citizenship to take the other two. So basically I know English, Cantonese, Chinese (basic). But SI assume we all know French!! Not all Canadians can speak French, we only have 1 French speaking province you know...

I was born in England to a Dutch father and an Irish mother (but consider myself Irish) so would love this option. Tri-nationalities are certainly possible in theory, however in my case, I can only claim Dutch citizenship if I renounce both my Irish and British citizenship so in FM I just put Irish with English as a second nationality and leave the Dutch nationality out altogether.

i hate this whole nationality thing when people say stuff like i'm irish but was born in england look your english as you were born in england its simple.

It isn't research related. All "official" languages of a country (in Singapore's case, English, Malay, Mandarin and Tamil) that are in the game database (so not Welsh in Britain, for example) are automatically given to every regen or human manager with that nationality.

Ideally, we'd get to select three or four languages that we spoke independent of our nationality (in my case, fluent English, with basic French and German), and I hope SI get that feature in at some point in the future.

But that doesn't happen. Most of the time a Singaporean regen comes up with English and Malay, and only occasionally gets Chinese or Tamil added.

I understand this can be due to the unique fact that most Singaporean footballers (not the general population) are Malays, but still. It can be quite silly to see a regen with a Chinese name speak fluent Malay.

Agreed. If when adding yourself as a manager, you should get a dropdown menu below as to what w languages (for example) you are able to speak out of English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Malay etc. What do you think of this SI?

Btw, the same thing goes for Canada I mean although I think the American Spanish thing is absolutely absurd. As if 300m Americans can all speak fluent spanish!!!

You can't do that. In reality you may not have more than two citizenships, so if you are born in a country, live in another for let's say 15 years and you get the second citizenship, to get a third one you will have to renounce to one of the first two :) That's why maybe you can't have three nationalities.

i hate this whole nationality thing when people say stuff like i'm irish but was born in england look your english as you were born in england its simple.

Er, no. I am NOT English. I have no English blood in my whatsoever I am delighted to say.

I think two nationalities is sufficient. It should cover a vast majority of the variables. I do like the idea of being able to select several languages though. Although, it is probably somewhat superficial and probably not necessary in the context of the game. Mainly as a manager it seems you learn a new language very quickly. In about 6 months from experience.

Just as a side note of trivia. I was once told that the most nationalities (or passports at least) one could have in todays world was 4. You would have to be Northern Irish born of the Jewish faith. (rare, I know). So you could have potentially, UK, Irish, Israeli and American passports. But if this actually is true, I've never verified it myself.

I think two nationalities in the game is more than enough. It's not gamebreaking in any way to have less than that so I can't really see what the issue is, apart from having (yet) another thing to moan about.

I don't think anyone's moaning or describing this as game-breaking or an issue. It's a minor minor question, but a worthy one none-the-less.

Personally, I'd like to be able to add my place of birth and languages as well, but I'll live without it.

I could claim for a few nationalities but I am English. I consider myself English but have Scottish Ancestry and then Irish before that( I think on the Irish. My last name is Irish). Depending on how many years you have to live in Germany, I could become a German national(if that's right). I was also born there but on an English hospital site. I, like GillsMan would like to put where I was born as well.

Surely your parents nationallity is a much more important factor than where you are born? I know someone who was born in Chile to Irish parents but moved back to Ireland when he was 2. Although he would have strong ties with the country he was born in, he couldn't possibly be considered Chilean over Irish.

What's the game impact on adding a second ( or third ) nationality ?

Easier to get a job from a club with your nationality, and you know their language. And I believe it also makes a difference in your starting rep, although I'm not sure about that.

All Yanks should have Scotch as a language as they are all related to Braveheart.

FREEEEEDDOOOOMMMMMM

No it isn't...I'm a CBC but I'm more proud to be Chinese than Canadian. Just because I'm born here doesn't mean I strongly think I'm Canadian before anything else. I look Chinese, I don't look 'Canadian'.

FM should have 3rd nationalities since footballers IRL can have 3 nationalities too (in a footballing sense anyways).

No it isn't...I'm a CBC but I'm more proud to be Chinese than Canadian. Just because I'm born here doesn't mean I strongly think I'm Canadian before anything else. I look Chinese, I don't look 'Canadian'.

FM should have 3rd nationalities since footballers IRL can have 3 nationalities too (in a footballing sense anyways).

Can footballers in FM have 3 nationalities? I'm trying to think, but I can't remember. It's not a major thing, but nationality is not always black and white as I think a number of posters here have shown. Toon Army 06 thinks I'm English, but I've got Irish citizenship and if the Irish required me to renounce my British citizenship (which they don't) I'd have dropped the British citizenship in a heartbeat. So I think it would be nice to have it in future versions, but it's no biggie really. Two certainly suffices for even us mongrels!! :D

Can footballers in FM have 3 nationalities? I'm trying to think, but I can't remember. It's not a major thing, but nationality is not always black and white as I think a number of posters here have shown. Toon Army 06 thinks I'm English, but I've got Irish citizenship and if the Irish required me to renounce my British citizenship (which they don't) I'd have dropped the British citizenship in a heartbeat. So I think it would be nice to have it in future versions, but it's no biggie really. Two certainly suffices for even us mongrels!! :D

They can mate. Kevin Nolan has Dutch, Irish and English, but he is declared for England.

I think eligibility and nationality is different mate.

Yes, it's all about citizenship. As I said earlier, the Dutch won't allow you to have dual citizenship with Britain/Ireland (it might be a total ban on dual-citizenships, idk). So Kevin Nolan is eligible for Netherlands (I didn't know that until NottmForest's post) but couldn't claim Dutch citizenship w/o relinquishing his British/Irish citizenship.

Interesting that Nolan is exactly the same mix as me. :cool:

I think eligibility and nationality is different mate.

Oh ok.

Yes, it's all about citizenship. As I said earlier, the Dutch won't allow you to have dual citizenship with Britain/Ireland (it might be a total ban on dual-citizenships, idk). So Kevin Nolan is eligible for Netherlands (I didn't know that until NottmForest's post) but couldn't claim Dutch citizenship w/o relinquishing his British/Irish citizenship.

I'm sure he does. He did have on previous FM's.

There are loopholles a lot of countries forbid dual nationality. However there is nothing to stop you reapplying for your old one once you have got your new one as long as your original country is willing to give it back to you and allows multiple passports. The UK does this quite readily after a period of I think, 12 months.

Er, no. I am NOT English. I have no English blood in my whatsoever I am delighted to say.

you were born in england what part don't you get you were born in england that means your nationality is english.your parents might not be from england but everyone is a diffrent person but you happen to be english it was the country you were born in.

you can't make out your not when its fact you were born here you were not born in another country.your parents are not english as they were not born there what ever there nationnality is will be the country they were born in.

it does not matter how proud you are to be chinese your canadian you were born there.

Surely your parents nationallity is a much more important factor than where you are born? I know someone who was born in Chile to Irish parents but moved back to Ireland when he was 2. Although he would have strong ties with the country he was born in, he couldn't possibly be considered Chilean over Irish.

what no everyone is a diffrent person a persons nationality is the country they were born in.so what in 50 years if your children have children and there born in say russia.would that make them irish just because there grampa was born there ect.

say some spanish guy invented a new cake ect in england would he turn round and say its spanish when it was made in england no he would'nt

Archived