Goodbye newgens...

Here we speak the sad tales of those incredible regens you managed to produce who now fade into the darkness now that FM11 is released.

My two:

1) Ruben Rebocho. Had to pay an arm and a leg to grab him off Porto. Boy, was he worth it though. Averaged 13 assists a season and, with him tearing down one flank and Ronaldo down the other, helped Portugal take the 2014 World Cup. Absolutely astounding.

2) Pimenta. The Brazillian sensation could play any role up front, and destroy any opposition. Signed for a paltry GBP3.3mil, he went on to be valued at GBP27mil a mere 3 years later, turning top sides like Man U, Real Madrid etc. inside-out.

John France.

A wonderkid goalkeeper whom I snatched from Leeds for a whooping £100k and trained into a Rene Adler equivalent in two seasons.

Jean-Baptiste Minvielle. Tallest striker ever to have brushed the starting XI of Man Utd. Had like 20 assists per season as a Trequartista.

RIP lads..

It does feel wrong when you no longer have some regens for whatever reason (retirement, new game, etc.). I remember having the three most creative forwards in the world tearing defences to bits, then missing them as I replaced them with one creative genius, the best targetman in the world and one midget yet outstanding finisher - and I still missed my previous frontline.

Sometimes I wish we could have "legends" matches where we get to view some of our previous players in a charity match of some sort, just to revive the memories, as your 50-year-old forward still manages to skin your wonderkid centre-back (keeping his feet on the ground somewhat) and finish from 30 yards, or have 3D statues of your former regens in-game, or something. Something to treasure...

Had some brilliant players in my Milan save on FM10. The most notable was my striker, Mpho Gcaba, born in Lesotho, picked him from Spurs for 3M when he was 16, used to score nearly one goal per game, until he was 26, had scored more than 200 goals, I can't remember the exact amount. Absolute legend.

Goodbye to Eduardo Savelli my Italian worldwide world-class Stiker who i bought at 15 and had him till he was 33.

I also had another italian striker who played up top with him for 10 yrs named Andrea Corti who was also world-class.

Defo the most potent newgen strike force i had on FM10.

Sammy Vincent: Came through the Shrewsbury youth academy in league one, got sold by the board for only £1.1million - looking back that was **** loads for a **** player, but at the time I was furious. I signed him for Derby when I went there for £1.5ish million in the championship, then he got moved around a bit before finally returning to me to captain his home town Shrewsbury into and keep them in the Premier League! <3 Also shared my birthday.

Omar Hayden: Came through the academy the second time round with Shrewsbury in league one (Heskey took them down a few years after I left for Derby, Dundee U, Lazio and Everton) and was exactly the same as Sammy, but he played midfield and was black. Instrumental in back to back promotions to the Premier League and was a great vice captain. In the Premier league at 19 he struggled, but he had the potential to become big and lead England (or Pakistan if he so wished) to glory.

The funerals were held last weekend :'(

Sammy Vincent: Came through the Shrewsbury youth academy in league one, got sold by the board for only £1.1million - looking back that was **** loads for a **** player, but at the time I was furious. I signed him for Derby when I went there for £1.5ish million in the championship, then he got moved around a bit before finally returning to me to captain his home town Shrewsbury into and keep them in the Premier League! <3 Also shared my birthday.

Omar Hayden: Came through the academy the second time round with Shrewsbury in league one (Heskey took them down a few years after I left for Derby, Dundee U, Lazio and Everton) and was exactly the same as Sammy, but he played midfield and was black. Instrumental in back to back promotions to the Premier League and was a great vice captain. In the Premier league at 19 he struggled, but he had the potential to become big and lead England (or Pakistan if he so wished) to glory.

The funerals were held last weekend :'(

I love how you made the point that he was black.

well ill share these 3 .. . two of them i have purchased for my rangers team and the third is englands new no 1

my two first

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o361/SalmonCannon/bestregen1.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o361/SalmonCannon/bestregen2.jpg

and englands no 1

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o361/SalmonCannon/englandsnewno1.jpg

I was fortunate to have a tycoon manager for a few years at Valencia, and during his time there I spent a lot of time and money identifying young talent to bring through; when you're given a budget of 100 million, it's not that hard to bring 8-10 good prospects in every year. To find them, I'd scout clubs on the day their newgens came out, then pick the best of the bunch after my scouts were done compiling reports. Once my tycoon left, the excess players who weren't good enough for my first team would then fund the operation; selling on two or three guys who aren't QUITE good enough for my team could still bring in a good chunk of change for transfers.

That's a long way of saying that I've got some regens that I'm really, really going to miss. My favorite, though, is Conor Taylor, a British striker who came over from Middlesbrough when he was 16. Taylor's everything you want out of a regen: he's fast, can finish, is consistent, and (most importantly) never "wants a new challenge" or complains about his contract. Taylor won the Footballer of the Year award five times straight; he's far and away the best striker in my gameworld at the moment, and is only 28. The only knock on him is that his natural fitness is low (7), so he'll probably decline rapidly at a certain point...but he's almost never injured, so his value is fantastic.

Taylor was the first regen I started actually caring about; when he was 17-18, he was tutored by David Villa, and during an injury crisis when he was 19 he started making a case for regular playing time. Since then, he's been a stalwart, and frankly one of the biggest reasons for me to continue on this save (tycoons take a lot of the fun of a save away, and this one would be dull if I weren't interested in seeing my players accomplish as much as possible) is to see his career through.

Geoff Thomas - Came through the Arsenal youth system and became the new Fabregas by 2014. He finished one season with 18 goals and 24 assists from Central midfield.

Neil Davies - Snapped him up for £1.1m when he was 16 from Middlesbrough, 2014/15 season he became a beast and one of the best defenders on the game. :(

Fausto Esposito - the most exciting striker of his generation scoring ridiculous amounts of goals per game per season since his box office move to my all conquering Cagliari team. Scored all kinds of goals from 40 yd screamers, tap ins, walks into the net, headers, placed shots, chips, set pieces... a goal machine.

Cleverton - a 6'4" freak of a Brazilian creative midfielder. great passing, determination, long shots and creativity. At just 19 he stepped up into the first team proper running the show for Cagliari, blowing away far older pro's who had become world beaters themselves. Weird and wonderful player with a unique collection of stats.

Stefan Steinsson - icelandic defensive midfield enforcer blessed with great passing and vision alongside his bone crunching tackling ability.

Cuynt Onzyt - Turkish sweeper keeper who guarded the sticks through Cagliari's treble winning 2020 season before he was even 19.

Clement Lopes - frenchman who became the new Messi able to take the ball past anyone on the right wing before cutting inside.

Roger Goosens - a rapid dutch winger playing on the opposite wing to Lopes. With the ability of C. Ronaldo to cut in and score brilliant goals whilst also darting down the line with great crosses and constant assists. What a winger!

Juan Garcia Calvo

Came through my youth system and went on to be a world class attacking mid. 751 appearances for the club, 381 goals. He retired in game so i have already lost him, but it was a sad day when i got the "Juan Garcia Calvo has set a date for retirement" I think a little piece of me died inside :(

Gordon Dunbar signed him in 2012 from Rangers as Chelsea as a 16 year old central defender for £5million. He was just breaking into the first team at the end of 2013-2014 season as I left Chelsea for Barcelona. I took him as well as 3 other players with me he cost me £20m and went on to be my rock at the central defence for the next 5 years!

Lloyd Wordsworth (Northampton Town, signed later by me at Lincoln City)

Martin Bradley (Lincoln City)

Alright, neither have gone higher than the Championship, but both have been complete stalwarts for me and were stars in my respective teams. They now play together in my Lincoln midfield in 2033/4.

More details on them in my 'Football Manager Makes Me Curze' thread in the Careers Update forum.

Mark Bosschaart - A Dutch striker, who I got on a season-long loan from Vitesse in my first season in the Premiership with Millwall. He single-handedly kept me up, and I was on his favoured personnel at the end of the season. Snapped him up on a free, as his Vitesse contract was running down, and he went on to be an absolute goal machine. With pace, acceleration, dribbling, and finishing all 19+, he was the perfect poacher. Him and Lukaku were the ultimate partnership for over 10 years of domination, but, sadly, his pace diminished quickly as he got older, and he was never quite the same - though still a solid 10 goal a season back-up at the age of 33.

Eh.. I had them a bunch of them. The most noticable was Ivane Meshki when I trained NK Osijek. He got Golden boot in my third season, too bad that FM'11 came out(only DEMO so far) so I couldn't win some European championship with him as my star.

ScreenShot521.jpg?t=1288738485ScreenShot506.jpg?t=1288738488

Taggart is also one of the best I had as I haven't preferred regens in my games.

ScreenShot477.jpg?t=1288738562

And all-mighty Felipao. Couldn't deal with pressure of Barca & co.

ScreenShot479.jpg?t=1288738559

err.. Can't add smilies to post... -.-*

I've gotten more attached to these guys than I probably should have done on my FM10 Leeds save:

Roberto Magni, 21 year old Italian striker who had only recently broken in to my first team.

Vlada Jankovic, 24 year old Serbian international goalie, possibly the best goalkeeper in the world .:D

Adrien Mertens, 24 year old Belgian international who has been the heart of my midfield for the last 5 years, winning 3 consecutive Premier League titles.

I'll miss these guys....

I'd like to take this opportunity to remember Oscar Carrasco. Bought from Locomotiv Moscow as a teenager for £6.5m with my Leeds team. He went on to score nearly a goal a game over 6 years (until I moved clubs), winning World Player Of The Year twice and captaining my Leeds side being the catalyst to winning countless trophies. As well as leading his nation (Peru!) to a World Cup Semi Final. Legend, up there with my faves in over 10 years of CM/FM. Bring on the new legends in FM2011. :)

Goodbye Nathan Flowers. You became my first team keeper at 16 during an injury crisis. 23 years and many hundreds of appearances later you faded into the night, and then came out of it as my Assistant Manager. You earned 179 caps for England. You had stupid hair and a mangled face but I loved you still, even when you had a strop in your late twenties and I loaned you out for half a season to get your mojo back.

Nathan Flowers, I salute you.

1. Daniel Antico- As Barcelona in 2019, I was looking for a hot young talent to take my team to the next level. I found him at Inter Milan and he was unlike anything I had ever seen, at 21 years old he was the best player technically in the world and the potential to be a true great. He cost me £56 million and went on to be part of the greatest ever Barcelona side, sweeping all before him, scoring a ridiculous number of goals in La Liga until his retirement in 2033.

2. Paulinho- Brought in the season after Antico, at 25 years old Paulinho was reaching his potential, and the Brazilian didnt disappoint when i got him from Genoa for £35 million. He went on to be Barcelona's record goalscorer averaging well over 1 a game. His partnership with Antico was insane and he was a true great, going on to win the World Cup as captain of Brazil.

These two will always have a place in my heart. :D

Goodbye to Marcelo Leite, the Brazilian hot-shot striker, better than Ronaldo and Romario combined.

Goodbye to Salvador, a sensational Spanish centre half, who couldnt be beaten.

and finally,

Goodbye to Elvio Gonzalez, Argentina legendary midfielder, record caps, record goals, won every major international and club honour he possibly couldve with Argentina, and me at Birmingham...

1. Hector Moreno - Bought the lad for £500 from Deportivo (yes, just five hundred) at age 17 for my Liverpool team. Four years later, he had exceeded any other defensive midfielder in the world. When I left for Sevilla, he came straight with me, and became Spain captain at 28, which was richly deserved. Came 2nd in WPOTY 3 years in a row, the poor lad, and despite signing for United on a free at 35 for the last season of his illustrious career, I still loved the man for what he had done for me. A true great.

2. Carlos Moreno - No relation to Hector. A keeper I signed in the 2nd season for Liverpool from Valencia for £1.6mil, he played out 18 years of his life at the club and featured under me in my two spells at the club. He was in goal for three Spain World Cup wins, and had the greatest clean sheet record in the Premier League's history. An absolute mainstay, I think he missed maybe six games overall in his career a the club. A Kop hero.

Laying them to rest hurts. It really does

ely2T.jpg

Loved that guy, even though I only played that save for three seasons. He's not some amazing superman in terms of stats (although he still had a star's-worth of development to go when I gave up on the save), but he was superb for me, initially in League 1, then the Championship and continued his form into the Premier League. Loved his mental stats, and had him playing alongside and being tutored by Defour in the last season I played.

Byron Gudiel - Signed him as a 20 yr old if memory serves, around 2012. This kid took my liverpool to the next level, won every trophy going, made him captain a few years later, went on to become world player of th year and covetered by many of europes top clubs, eventually had to hang up his boots around 2027 - Absolute legend R.I.P

Archived