CB marking is terrible

I'm no Allen Hanson but I see this poor defending so much it's really annoying me. It seems like a bug to me but if it's "just my tactics" then I will accept that and please tell me how to fix it.

As you can see from the screenshots, forwards are constantly just standing..not making runs, just standing..inbetween my centrebacks. A midfield player passes them the ball and the forward is now on the edge of my 18 yard area with no defender within 8 yards of him. This always results in them scoring. I have no idea how to fix this, I don't give any special instructions to my CB's and surely one of them must have the gumption to pick the atacker up. I'm managing MUFC in this save and with Rio and Vidic two of the best centrebacks in the world...how the hell are they making this kind of school boy error?

Surely a bug!

CrapDefending-1.jpg

Defending.jpg

Defend.jpg

Agreed, CBs had some rubbish marking sometimes in FM10 as well.

Every match engine iteration sees some 'predictable goals' - rather like FIFA/PES & other football games from more than 5 years ago, where the limitations in what you could do with them meant every version had two or three ways in which it would be much too easy to score. (I remember a 90's DOS one where bursting into the 18 yard box at a specific area then running diagonally towards the goal would cause the opposition to stand and gape at you in awe.)

I remember a debate on here where all sorts of stats were summoned to try and prove that CBs aren't that rubbish in FM10, but it must be said that after you watched that ME for a while you could tell when a CB was going to not pick up on the forwards standing in-between. Haven't seen enough of FM11 yet but I'd hope that it's been ironed out - generally for the last 2-3 years FM forwards have received a lot more room in teh box than you ever would in the EPL since 2005.

i notice in the screenshots, there has been a red card, are you a man down? I dont see one in the first one but only counted 10 men, of course i may have mis counted or a player isnt on the screen, might be that your defence is stretched

Against Roma it was actualy them who were a man down. I lost a player against Altrincham but whenever that happens I sacrafice a forward to keep the shape of the midfield and defence...which obviously isn't working anyway :(

I can only suggest you read the Demo ME thread started by Paul C and including a changelist for the ME for the first patch, you might even like to add your observations to it.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/231054-Official-FM2011-Match-Engine-Feedback-Thread

Thanks for the link Kriss. I see it's been mentioned in there already so hopefully it'll be in the patch on release day.

I know there were one or two issues similar to this on FM10 but it didn't effect me too much. I've never had a bad word to say about SI but if this doesn't get fixed I don't know how I can play the game because it bypasses my tactics. Lets hope this gets fixed.

I have brought up similar issues in the thread Kriss linked. I'm hopeful it will be sorted on the release day patch because it is one of the few major issues still to be resolved.

After having a thorough read of that thread I saw that SI wont be bringing out anything for the ME of the 1st patch because they don't think they'll have enough time, they might but looks unlikely. They said in the 2nd patch there will be one but that's around April :(

This is what PaulC said:

"The boxed game will have the same ME as the demo, but the 11.1 update will have changes as posted in this thread applied. The 11.1 update is expected be available at the end of this week when the game is released. "

so 11.1 is out this week

This is what PaulC said:

"The boxed game will have the same ME as the demo, but the 11.1 update will have changes as posted in this thread applied. The 11.1 update is expected be available at the end of this week when the game is released. "

so 11.1 is out this week

But he said and I quote:

"Thanks all, keep it coming.

As things stand there is no ME update in the day 1 patch due to the short turnaround period but that could change and if it does I will update in here."

"It will get one, but if we cant get something better ready in time for release day it will be 11.2. "

Unless I miss something, this is what I've read.

This drives me nuts too. My defenders in general are pretty terrible no matter what tactics I give them. The only thing that saves me is my super goalie, since apparently players can't score unless they're heading the ball, or they're receiving a cross unmarked and just kicking it on the fly.

Archived