OpenCL support?

I was just wondering if FM had support for opencl, or if it could be added later?

It's the ability to use the video card to add to cpu processing, and vice versa, when needed, and seems like it would be perfect to use in a game like FM with all the number crunching needed.

I was just wondering if FM had support for opencl, or if it could be added later?

It's the ability to use the video card to add to cpu processing, and vice versa, when needed, and seems like it would be perfect to use in a game like FM with all the number crunching needed.

i think we can safely say no they don't

I was thinking about this as well.

Unfortunately it seems most people have really crappy computers that dont support openCL, but for the rest of us this could potentially bring a huge speed increase.

So SI, are you at least experimenting with this?

I was thinking about this as well.

Unfortunately it seems most people have really crappy computers that dont support openCL, but for the rest of us this could potentially bring a huge speed increase.

So SI, are you at least experimenting with this?

The same reason SI can't move to 64bit.

Adding 64 bit exe wouldnt be that hard. Just recompile it and thats it. The reason why they dont do it is that they would have to test it (could just say its unsupported) and most importantly it wouldnt make any difference speed wise. OpenCL on the other hand could potentially bring huge speed improvements.

Adding 64 bit exe wouldnt be that hard. Just recompile it and thats it. The reason why they dont do it is that they would have to test it (could just say its unsupported) and most importantly it wouldnt make any difference speed wise. OpenCL on the other hand could potentially bring huge speed improvements.

It's a bit harder than that, since it means that SI need to distribute 32-bit and 64-bit executables, and it all adds to the support costs.

I don't know how much of a boost it will bring, personally - there's a fair few floating-point calculations in-game but it's not simulating some ridiculously hard mathematical simulation or trying to render a highly-detailed scene in 3D. A "simulation" of a 3D game is just a single scene with little detail, lasting only around 20 minutes. It's probably overkill and not worth it. It would also need to be "backwards-compatible" for non-OpenCL computers.

It's a bit harder than that, since it means that SI need to distribute 32-bit and 64-bit executables, and it all adds to the support costs.

I don't know how much of a boost it will bring, personally - there's a fair few floating-point calculations in-game but it's not simulating some ridiculously hard mathematical simulation or trying to render a highly-detailed scene in 3D. A "simulation" of a 3D game is just a single scene with little detail, lasting only around 20 minutes. It's probably overkill and not worth it. It would also need to be "backwards-compatible" for non-OpenCL computers.

If they add 64bit as an unsupported mode then it adds very little to the support costs. Would be nice if they did it but it its not a big deal to me if they stick with 32 bit for a while.

There are tons of calculations in the game. Most of us only load a small percentage of leagues and even then only the league we are in is calculated in full detail. If such a work load can be effectively optimized with opencl then that would enable us to play the game with a lot more detail. Not sure what you mean with 3d. Opencl is just a way to offload processing to a GPU which is very good for calculating huge amounts of relatively simple tasks in a parallel manner.

I'm noticing that the demo doesn't make full use of my processor, which is annoying considering that multi-core processors have been around for about 5 years now.

OpenCL would be very nice - but still, considering that my HD4670 can't play the ME on full without some lag suggests to me that this kind of programming isn't within SI's expertise.

Im using 54 leagues in 39 countries (give or take few countries, im not sure but number of leagues i am) they are all playable and i like to play long term saves having no problems with processing time. maybe its not the fastest i could get with one league but im a patient person. in fm10 i got 10 seasons in game and didn't notice any significant slowdown so what is the fuss about? and no i don't have some monster of pc its old e8400 processor with 4gb of ram.

I think this kind of thing comes down to an individual's patience.

Archived