Should richard wright have been given a championship medal in my game

i've never found the answer to this so thought i might as well ask now.

despite being a sunderland fan, my username comes from an old game i had going years ago with a mate where we were jointly controlling arsenal (must have been around 2001). We were going for the title and Richard Wright was our back up keeper. At one point our first choice keeper was out injured for a couple of months so richard wright came in to replace him. the lad did brilliantly for us, kept a lot of clean sheets and helped us establish ourselves at the top of the table.

when our first choice keeper came back, we put him back in the side. we were cruising to the title and we remembered that in order for "english premier league winner" to appear on a players profile under "achievements", they needed to have played a certain number of league games (we knew how many at the time but i've now forgotten- i think it was 12).

Anyway, Richard Wright had about 8 appearances and there were 8 games to go so we decided to play him until the end of the season as we felt he deserved to be given a medal at the end of the season.

what happened however, was that after 3 games, we mathematically sealed the title with 5 games left to play. as soon as the title was sealed our players got the "premier league winner" achievement noted in their profile. richard wright did not get this as, when the title ws sealed, he hadnt played enough games. We continued to play him and by the end of the season he had played enough games but the fact he was part of the title winning side was never recognised in his profile.

should the "medals" have been given out at the end of the season, by which time he would have qualified for one, or would it be done when the title was sealed, in which case he wouldnt?

We've always wondered this as we feel he should have been given a medal and it should be listed amongst his achievements. ever since then, every save game we have had has been called "Richard Wright's Championship Medal" and my username was created as we continue to argue our case that his great performances should have been recognised, the question is, does he deserve one or has our quest been based on a false hope!

i've never found the answer to this so thought i might as well ask now.

despite being a sunderland fan, my username comes from an old game i had going years ago with a mate where we were jointly controlling arsenal (must have been around 2001). We were going for the title and Richard Wright was our back up keeper. At one point our first choice keeper was out injured for a couple of months so richard wright came in to replace him. the lad did brilliantly for us, kept a lot of clean sheets and helped us establish ourselves at the top of the table.

when our first choice keeper came back, we put him back in the side. we were cruising to the title and we remembered that in order for "english premier league winner" to appear on a players profile under "achievements", they needed to have played a certain number of league games (we knew how many at the time but i've now forgotten- i think it was 12).

Anyway, Richard Wright had about 8 appearances and there were 8 games to go so we decided to play him until the end of the season as we felt he deserved to be given a medal at the end of the season.

what happened however, was that after 3 games, we mathematically sealed the title with 5 games left to play. as soon as the title was sealed our players got the "premier league winner" achievement noted in their profile. richard wright did not get this as, when the title ws sealed, he hadnt played enough games. We continued to play him and by the end of the season he had played enough games but the fact he was part of the title winning side was never recognised in his profile.

should the "medals" have been given out at the end of the season, by which time he would have qualified for one, or would it be done when the title was sealed, in which case he wouldnt?

We've always wondered this as we feel he should have been given a medal and it should be listed amongst his achievements. ever since then, every save game we have had has been called "Richard Wright's Championship Medal" and my username was created as we continue to argue our case that his great performances should have been recognised, the question is, does he deserve one or has our quest been based on a false hope!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

He should have got one.

From memory Wenger subbed on Martin Keown for the last five minutes a few years back in the final game so he would go out with a medal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he did that with stuart taylor in 2001-2002 season. wright, seaman and taylor all got championship medals for arsenal - the first instance of 3 goalkeepers all qualifying for medals!

1998 Alex Manninger got a premiership medal even though he only played 6 games.

Special Dispensation was given as he keep clean sheets in all those games and he role was crucial to Arsenal winning the league

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MaccaB:

Special Dispensation was given as he keep clean sheets in all those games and he role was crucial to Arsenal winning the league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

how can they have special dispensation? surely alex manninger must have played in the easier games so clean sheets were easier to come by.

also you could argue special dispensation for laods of things.

it should be based solely on how many games you play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it should be based solely on how many games you play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh you could say that, but what happens if a keeper was to come into a team after their main keeper got injured and theres 6 or 7 games left.

They need to win all of them to win the title and the backup keeper plays a blinder in all of them and they win it but because he's not played 10 games he gets no medal, sounds a bit unfair to me.

unfair but right.

now what if a player plays all games upto the semi finals and then gets banned for the final. should he get a winners medal if they win?

in my opinion the answers is no.

we should not dilute our national game icon_wink.gif

i felt giving champions league places to non champions was wrong.

but then it does help with the competitiveness of the league because otherwise the winners get stronger with their championsleague games and the rest basically stay the same so it distorted the league. so in a sense it was the right thing to do but then they should rename the competition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by postal postie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MaccaB:

Special Dispensation was given as he keep clean sheets in all those games and he role was crucial to Arsenal winning the league </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Henrik Larsson got a winners medal last year with special dispensation.

Also you fa cup/champions league scenario i reckon they should get the medal as they have helped the team get to that final Paul Scholes got a winners medal for the Champions League whrn they won it even though he was suspended.

how can they have special dispensation? surely alex manninger must have played in the easier games so clean sheets were easier to come by.

also you could argue special dispensation for laods of things.

it should be based solely on how many games you play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

stekelenburg played exactly 10 games in the league for me and didn't get one. i purposely played him in the last 6 games to get up to 10. he didn't play in all the FA cup games, but he did get get an achievement, as well as foster, for winning that.

i'd always thought it was 10 games, can't find conformation on wiki (cba, tbh icon_wink.gif) that suggests otherwise, but it seems like 12 in fm anyway, lennon made 9 starts, 3 sub appearences and got one, but bendtner had 5/5 and didn't get one, despite netting 5 in his last 5. no special dispensation in fm08 then...

IIRC, steven pressley got a medal at Celtic last season, but not at the same time everyone else did

When the medals were distributed, he hadn't played 10 games for the club, but a few weeks later he was awarded one

so yes, he should have got one

• 3 months later...

So this medal situation still isn't sorted out to this day???

I'm still on FM '06. What also annoys me is the international competitions. Instead of the whole squad getting medals like they should do, only those selected to play in the final get them.

Will this be fixed in FM '09?

Archived