Are 0-0 results possible on FM 2011 ?

Ok people, those of you who have played FM 2011 demo -

Is defending any good in this year's FM ?

Is it possible to get 0-0 results (like REAL LIFE) if you really want to ?

Realistically it shouldn't be hard to get 0-0 results playing as teams like Stoke, Birmingham, Blackburn etc..specially at home

I'm with spurs and i've drawn 0-0 i think 3 times this season, against Lyon, Wolves and i think chelsea can't remember.

So if you're Birmingham it will be possible, but you have to set it up perfectly, match preparation and have a very rigid structure that will nullify them. Long shots are an issue though i get them against me alot and so you gotta close them down.

Sure it's possible , but with strong teams like chelsea, real, barcelona etc. who have good attack there wont be many 0-0 . By the way in real life there are only 1-2 matches when these teams play 0-0 or dont score any goal.

It's definately possible. I'm playing Man United which is obviously a strong attacking team, but I switch to a more defensive tactic when away to a strong opponent. I managed to shut out Chelsea, Real Madrid and City in their own backyard through a disciplined organisation. I nicked a winner in 2 of these games and drew another 0-0. I imagine you should be able to do the same with teams like Stoke etc., though it'll be a bit tougher. Just pack the midfield, play narrow and make sure players stand off opponents so you don't lose your defensive shape. Have a few fast players up front and you might fluke a few wins on the counter. Like another poster said, you might concede a long distance goal but there's little you can do about that, other than maybe put a ball chaser in midfield that closes down opponents or have your attackers close down opponents all over the pitch.

0-0 results make the game more realistic as a team could have an off game or a team could perform well against a bigger club etc. But wouldn't you always want to go for the win? Thats what i do, then the 0-0s come naturally throughout your career :)

Who would play for a 0-0? I always play to win, but have had a 0-0 as Liverpool in the FM11 demo.

I suppose if you are a bottom half team away to a top 4 side you may play a very rigid counter attack system, with the main priority of keeping a clean sheet. While not strictly playing for a 0-0, you would take it all day long

Who would play for a 0-0? I always play to win, but have had a 0-0 as Liverpool in the FM11 demo.

You never strictly play for a 0-0, but you might aim to keep a clean sheet at all costs, which can often result in a 0-0.

Edit: I realise I almost literally repeated what Dar2000 said.

Managing Birmingham and played a similar tactic to what i would have done on FM2008, so hard tackling, no attacking midfielders, wingers only going forward when they have the ball and...Arsenal had more chances (expected) but i had my fair share of moments (nice and similar to real life too) drew the game 0-0 and it was a joy to watch! :)

He's not saying he plays for a 0-0 he's asking if they are in the game and if you can defend well to keep a clean sheet.

Exactly. I was just asking whether it is possible this year as traditionally FM always had a problem implementing 'defending side of the game' properly.

Managing Birmingham and played a similar tactic to what i would have done on FM2008, so hard tackling, no attacking midfielders, wingers only going forward when they have the ball and...Arsenal had more chances (expected) but i had my fair share of moments (nice and similar to real life too) drew the game 0-0 and it was a joy to watch! :)

Completely agree. Seeing your attacking tactics work is one thing but seeing your well organized side keeping a clean sheet against a much stronger opponent is a joy to watch. :)

Exactly. I was just asking whether it is possible this year as traditionally FM always had a problem implementing 'defending side of the game' properly.

Its a lot better in this one, in every other game, you might as well spent the whole match on overload because all defensive did was stop you from scoring and it had no effect on the opposition, so I just stayed on all out attack even with a 1-0 lead in injury time.

It seems to have been fixed, you can stop teams and usually yourself from creating a lot of chances by gong defensive now.

• 3 weeks later...
I hardly ever get a 0-0, the opposition score with their first shot on target in a very high percentage of my games. (I play in the bottom leagues)

Just checked, 3 0-0's in 2010/11 & 4 0-0's in 2011/12 in my current game.

that is still quite high. theres plenty of teams in real life that maybe only have 1 0-0 a season, if that

Archived