Improving Position Cost CA Points?

I had read already that if you retrain a player to a new position, once he reaches Competent level at it (New Position at 10-11) then the free attributes for that position are no longer free and will be weighted towards his CA. I would assume the effect would be a decrease in those no-longer-free attributes, OR is it other attributes that will be get re-adjusted? I'm still confused. Anyway, what I would like to know is, if the player is already past that Competent level and keep training until he reaches Accomplished, would it still cost him CA points? I am under the assumption that it does. So I did a little experiment. My theory was if the player gain competency on a position, it will cost him CA points, then the reverse should be true - if the player loses his competency then he will regain the CA points. However, I was hindered by the game's monthly adjustment mechanism which decreased some seemingly random attributes whenever I adjusted a player's secondary position (11 -> 18 or 11 -> 4, not discernable difference). Has anyone else proved what actually happen if said changes happen to a player?

BTW, I would like some help in reading the Positions/New Positions section in FMRTE/Genie, etc. As I understand it, you shouldn't have higher value in New Positions than the combined Place+Side in Positions. Ex: If you want to have Left Midfielder at 18, then on Positions you should set Left Side and Midifielder at 18 as well. Is that correct? What would happen if I set the values inconsistently?

EDIT: TL;DR - is it better to develop a young player to only one specialized position as all his CA points will be distributed on fewer attributes, hence higher values, OR to prefer young players will multiple Competent level positions and improve each as it no longer cost CA points? The latter assumes that the attribute weighting is fixed once the player reaches Competent level at a position and that increases in compentecy level only affect his effective attributes when in that position (ex: at 20 he will use 100% of his attributes, but at 15, his attributes will only be 75% of use to him)

overall it would ake him a better player due to the fact he can play in more positions so overall speaking, his CA would rise and if you play him in the new Accomplished position and not in his natual position, those figures would only decrease a fraction, it would still be his natural position. that is how I am thinking it would be. If after a while, just say 10 games, you put him back in the natural position, it would only take him a game or 2 to get back to how he was originally in that position and thus a slight increase in his ca, back to how it was before that natural position ca points were decreased

Just re-read The Lamb's weighting table at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/197595-Attribute-Weighting

Ack! It looks like there's no more position-specific free attributes in FM10 (unless you count retraining an outfield players as GK or vice versa, in that case I still wonder how the adjustment is made once the player becomes Competent - ex: what would happen to a DC having godly GK stats once he becomes Competent at GK). Since all outfield positions basically only differ in in weighting, does that means in order to have a specialized ST, you need to set all other positions at 1 instead of >10? Is there a benefit (higher values) on this kind of player compared to another ST having competency on say, AML/R/C? On the reverse side, does improving Positions now cost CA points starting from 1 instead of 10?

Archived