Declared For Nation

If a player is "declared for nation", can he ever represent another nation?

For example, if a player was declared for one nation, but never receives a call up, can he switch his allegiance and play for his other nationality like often happens in real life?

Thanks

yes you would think so, all the lad needs to do is play 1 minute of a full international and then he can not play for any other nation
That's what I presumed as well, but I've yet to see it happen ingame. Like it won't even let you talk to a player who is already declared for another nation.

I find this sort of unrealistic and frustrating tbh. Anyway, cheers for the answer.

That's what I presumed as well, but I've yet to see it happen ingame. Like it won't even let you talk to a player who is already declared for another nation.

I find this sort of unrealistic and frustrating tbh. Anyway, cheers for the answer.

If he's declared for one nation it means he is determined to represent that nation anyway. So it will take some persuading to switch.

Although I agree, there should be some form of interaction to at least talk to the player.

The whole point of the "declared for nation" section is that he will never represent another country.

Yeah...it's great seeing all of those Brazilians with a PA of 120 never giving up on their dreams. I guess. Although I do find it odd that a player "declares" for a nation even when it's the only one he's eligible for. Shouldn't a player actually be eligible for more than one nation in order to "declare" his preference? Heck, if the player isn't even a part of the national team pool he should be keeping his options open...

The whole point of the "declared for nation" section is that he will never represent another country.

The whole point of retiring from international football is that they won't play for their country again. Yet we are given the option to try and change their minds with that.

Players change their minds about who to represent IRL, especially if they don't look like getting a call up from their preferred nation, so why shouldn't it be in the game? As long as it's treated with restraint and only occasionally can you get a player to change his mind, then it definitely should be included in the game. I've got no doubt it will eventually, just when is the question.

Yeah...it's great seeing all of those Brazilians with a PA of 120 never giving up on their dreams. I guess. Although I do find it odd that a player "declares" for a nation even when it's the only one he's eligible for. Shouldn't a player actually be eligible for more than one nation in order to "declare" his preference? Heck, if the player isn't even a part of the national team pool he should be keeping his options open...

In some instances, players will be ticked as "declared for nation" because they can't represent another nation for another reason, like youth caps, for example. At the start of the game, some players may have been capped IRL but not yet in the game, such as Jack Wilshire- Wilshire will never play for France IRL, so he shouldn't in game, even if he gains a French passport and gets a call up.

The whole point of retiring from international football is that they won't play for their country again. Yet we are given the option to try and change their minds with that.

Players change their minds about who to represent IRL, especially if they don't look like getting a call up from their preferred nation, so why shouldn't it be in the game? As long as it's treated with restraint and only occasionally can you get a player to change his mind, then it definitely should be included in the game. I've got no doubt it will eventually, just when is the question.

Players don't have to be declared for a nation, those who are going to play for another nation shouldn't be declared in the first place, meaning that they are still deciding who to play for.

Leon Osman will never play for Turkey, James Harper will never play for Ghana, Dave Kitson will never play for Ireland. It's unrealistic for them to play for those countries, so they're all declared for England. If you make it possible for them to change their minds in game, when they've made it clear they never will in real life (all three have resisted call ups, multiple ones in Harper's case), then you're removing realism.

Contrastingly, Nedum Onouha wants to play for England, and has resisted several call ups for Nigeria. However, he has said that if England don't cap him, he will eventually switch over to Nigeria. That's a case where "declared for nation" shouldn't be ticked. It currently is for Onouha because without it he gets capped for Nigeria straight away. It's the best solution there is. In that case, I agree that players who aren't declared for a nation should be pickier about who they play for, and not necessarily go for the first team that calls them up, whilst also eventually accepting that they'll never be called up by their nation of choice.

However, we need an absolute "I will never play for another country" option. Harper has never been to Ghana, and doesn't feel at all Ghanian, so he turned down the chance to play for Ghana at the World Cup in 2006 even though he knew he was very unlikely to play for England. Kitson also doesn't feel Irish, so he thought it wasn't fair to make himself available as he'd be picked ahead of very patriotic Irish people like Kevin Doyle or Shane Long. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the Osman situation, but presumably he's made it very clear that he'll never play for Turkey, and it's not just because he'd rather play for the better nation.

Leon Osman has a Turkish father, but he was born and bred in Merseyside, and so I presume only has affection for England.

In contrast to Colin Kazim-Richards (Turkish mother), who said,

I've always felt Turkish, though. My nene [grandmother], she can't speak English. Half of my family, their first language is Turkish, and so I went to Turkish school before I played football, although I can't remember any of it now.

If Osman gets called up For Turkey, how do you know he will refuse? I have never seen such a news story or anything like that about him.

He has said that he would only represent England, it's pretty well known, though I can't find an announcement. Also, don't you think he'd have been called up by now if he was eligible?

Adil Rami said he would only represnt Morocco because it's who he is. Then he refused to play for Morocco in a crucial World Cup Qualifier so he could play for France.

He basically declared himself for one nation and did a 180 at the last minute and played for the other. I don't think this kind of thing happens in the game, sadly.

Hell, Begovic played for Canada in the U-20's and was called up for a WCQ game and still went to Bosnia (and was "declared" for Canada in FM '09)

I really wish there was some sort of international interaction to convince players to play for you. Especially when you're a weaker country and half the re-gens you get won't play for you at younger levels since they want to wait for a bigger country. Which used to make sense, but now since you don't have to declare for a country by a certain age, many more players are playing for their home country's youth program to get international experience and then if they get a call from the bigger country they go there.

In some instances, players will be ticked as "declared for nation" because they can't represent another nation for another reason, like youth caps, for example. At the start of the game, some players may have been capped IRL but not yet in the game, such as Jack Wilshire- Wilshire will never play for France IRL, so he shouldn't in game, even if he gains a French passport and gets a call up.

That part I understand...but not when I'm playing as Toronto FC and trying to build up the Canadian national team by signing foreign players and keeping them with me for the 5 years required to be eligible. Naturally, I'm not going to look for superstars that would never play for such a lowly country, so instead I look for "good" players that have no shot at playing for a big nation such as Brazil/Argentina/Italy. In 10 I actually managed to convince a few players that had been capped at the youth level by their respective nations to play for Canada, while at the same time I'd come across players playing in the US second division that were "declared for" Brazil, despite not being eligible for any other nation, having no caps of any kind, and having no shot at ever playing for the national team. I guess it's the ones that have no reason to "declare for" a country that really irk me, seeing as to how that's their only choice currently (but not in the future.)

He has said that he would only represent England, it's pretty well known, though I can't find an announcement. Also, don't you think he'd have been called up by now if he was eligible?

If he doesn't want it, it is up to him I guess, it depends really if he is good enough or not, or maybe he wasn't noticed, these things happen unfortunately for Turkey, some big names go unnoticed for years and years, but I am sure he would at least get called up for a friendly or something, but that might have to with compulsory military service and blah, blah things are complicated where I come from Sciag believe me :), though as a Turk you miss these complications when you are stuck in Devon :)

If he doesn't want it, it is up to him I guess, it depends really if he is good enough or not, or maybe he wasn't noticed, these things happen unfortunately for Turkey, some big names go unnoticed for years and years, but I am sure he would at least get called up for a friendly or something, but that might have to with compulsory military service and blah, blah things are complicated where I come from Sciag believe me :), though as a Turk you miss these complications when you are stuck in Devon :)

I am aware of the Inler shambles :)

In the 2011 demo Lewis Holtby is 'declared for Germany', yet IRL he declared his options were open in an interview with Talk Sport Radio.

Why is there no option to convince him to play for England in the game?

The FA gave up on him because he privately wants to play for Germany. The talksport interview was a) interpreted optimistically, b) out of date.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/holtby-keen-for-talks-with-capello-2092394.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-on-and-off-the-pitch-england-are-not-doing-enough-to-attract-the-growing-band-of-dualnationality-youngsters-2090461.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/27/football-transfer-rumours-ryan-shawcross-juventus

Also, see here: http://www.rp-online.de/sport/fussball/zweiteliga/Zweitliga-Profi-will-fuer-Deutschland-spielen_aid_689732.html

"Deutschland spielen" should tell you all you need to know. Spielen is "play".

• 1 year later...

I think we should have the option to persuade them, i understand some players are so patriotic they wouldnt be intrested even if they never got a cap, but the likes of victor moses has recently been contemplating switching again, and i also read that he will still be eligible for england if he only plays friendlies for nigeria.... not sure about that though

as much as one minute

i thought it was as soon as he entered the pitch (ie .01 of a second)

Only if it is a competitive FIFA recognised fixture.

Also, in most instances "declared for" is ****ing stupid (and that is coming from a researcher). I would much rather see a rating system. Where you rate all the nations a player can technically play for - and so would give all the managers of those nations a chance to at least approach him.

For example

Ikechi Anya (Cadiz - on loan from Grenada). Should (could?) be rated like this...

Scotland 20

England 7

Nigeria 7

Romania 7

This will show in game that as media reports if Anya ever becomes good enough (doubt it) that Scotland would be his first choice, but he is still open to negotiations. Silly seeing players at the age of 21 or 22 who will never be good enough for their first nation being unwilling to change nationality because of a tick box - no negotiations asked.

I think we should have the option to persuade them, i understand some players are so patriotic they wouldnt be intrested even if they never got a cap, but the likes of victor moses has recently been contemplating switching again, and i also read that he will still be eligible for england if he only plays friendlies for nigeria.... not sure about that though

As we've seen here in the US with Klinsmann in charge of the national team, this is becoming a feature of growing importance. Jermaine Jones, Timmy Chandler, Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams have all been persuaded to switch and play for the US within the past year or so, with Jones actually switching after being capped by Germany in a friendly. There's even some fear that Germany could try and make a move for Chandler, seeing as to how the US hasn't played an official/"A" match yet with him on the roster. This could be a great feature to add for the international manager aspect of the game, as other countries may try and poach some of your pool players if you aren't playing them in official games.

• 5 years later...

bumping this thread cos it's now FM 2017 and i don't know if things have changed. I'm Seychelles manager, and i'm aware Michael Mancienne (Nottingham Forest) is part Seychellois. But his nationality says England (Declared).

Now, there's no way he's gonna get called up for England, is there any possibility in a couple of seasons he'll realise this and make him available for selection for me?

simple answer must be no. he is declared for his nation. that means he is an English player. 

we are not talking in a real life term, and the argument from 6 years ago is surely irrelevant (i didnt bother reading because its pointless). declared for nation on the game means he is only going to play for that country

17 hours ago, ryanlion28 said:

bumping this thread cos it's now FM 2017 and i don't know if things have changed. I'm Seychelles manager, and i'm aware Michael Mancienne (Nottingham Forest) is part Seychellois. But his nationality says England (Declared).

Now, there's no way he's gonna get called up for England, is there any possibility in a couple of seasons he'll realise this and make him available for selection for me?

Keep trying to persuade him, you've got nothing to lose.

I remember it took me 2+ years of asking one regen, who was declared for Spain, to play for Uruguay. Eventually he said yes and needless to say I was ecstatic. Talked about nothing else all evening. 

44 minutes ago, gavo01 said:

Keep trying to persuade him, you've got nothing to lose.

I remember it took me 2+ years of asking one regen, who was declared for Spain, to play for Uruguay. Eventually he said yes and needless to say I was ecstatic. Talked about nothing else all evening. 

There's no persuasion option or am i missing something?

Archived