Reviews Thread

So, the official reviews thread appears to have closed for whatever reason so I thought I'd post the reviews I've found so far:

IGN: http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/113/1131007p1.html

CVG: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=272511

Keep adding to it as the reviews really begin to populate the internet.

One extra question I'd like to pose: would any SI staff reading this thread care to respond to any of the points made in the reviews? How are you feeling about the response?

Cheers.

The only gripe I have about IGN's review is this:

Another misfiring element Sports Interactive appear content to sweep under the carpet is that damn 3-D match engine - which remains as worthless as ever. Some new player animations have been added and it looks marginally better than before. But it's still uglier than Blackburn vs. Stoke on a wet Tuesday night and generally gets switched off mid-way through the second pre-season friendly. It's about time SI devoted some serious time to making Football Manager's 3-D worthwhile.

The only gripe I have about IGN's review is this:

Not sure what they mean by that, sure it looks a bit silly sometimes and through my hours of demo play I've found the players do some ridiculous play but it's something you can turn off. I never liked the 3D play anyway.

I actually think the IGN review is very good. Whilst you can tell it isn't written by a total FM fan ('the dreary sounding dynamic league reputation' has been asked for for years on here), there are also some decent criticisms, summed up with the conclusion of 'all conquering at present, but in need of an overhaul in the not-so-distant future'.

In general very positive reviews I think. I'm critical of some of the sloppy bugs I've found (FC Bayern is spelt Bayem in the news section) but it's hopefully something SI will take care of quickly.

I doubt you're right with that, the game has letters close together that you can often see rn as m.

Who actually watches the matches anyway - I personally think it is a waste of time. I'd like an option where you click on a button the score comes up and it game will be then even faster.

That's not only called holiday mode, but also a waste of your money.

I agree with IGN on one thing: this game needs a bit more fresh ideas and some serious work od 3D engine in terms of graphics/AI/animation. FM and previously CM sells like a dream every year for last like what, 10 years, and to be honest I don't see all this money going into the game. We got some smallish upgrades every year and I think it's time for SI to show some balls and invest in their dev team. When FM2k11 was announced I was really happy with all the new features and now it turns out that set piece creator is same thing as last year, conferences and media interaction is still poor, match engine is still subpar. The only good changes are dynamic reputation, merging news and inbox and players' agents. To be honest that's not much.

IGN's review is ridiculously poor as a journalistic piece. Its criticisms are mostly valid (although I thought they were extremely harsh on the 3D match engine, I think it's quite good this time around). But it's just too shallow. It even ignores some of the official new features like the Youtube/Twitter integration and tweaked training system (even if it isn't the overhaul I'd had hoped). Moreover, they sort of minimize the impact of dynamic league reputation. If you're into FM, you'd appreciate the importance.

Archived