Euro 2016

Iceland is still a bit of a long shot with such a tiny population, maybe if you're lucky one year. All the big teams will be basically guaranteed though and teams like Bosnia, Bulgaria, Belgium and Scotland will be having a really good shot at making the tournament.

Iceland is still a bit of a long shot with such a tiny population, maybe if you're lucky one year. All the big teams will be basically guaranteed though and teams like Bosnia, Bulgaria, Belgium and Scotland will be having a really good shot at making the tournament.

Yeah it could happen, we were 3rd in our group in 2004 qualification which would have given us a seat if there were 24 teams ( assuming top 3 from every group ).

Will they perhaps change qualifications somewhat? More groups or some kind of playoff style?

EDIT: Oops we had 10 groups that year so I guess only top 4 3rd places would get through. But Iceland was 3-4th in 3rd place so still through.

Why? It was announced and confirmed well in advance of the game being made.

I suspect there would have been word from SI about this, they like to bring it up when they include changes like this to competitions. Could be wrong of course, and it could be in a patch- but from experience it won't be in the original game

Not sure how the qualifying groups will be sorted though.

UEFA currently has 53 teams. Discounting the hosts France that leaves 52 teams to be divided to fight for 23 spots.

Probably either:

- 8 groups of 5 and 2 of 6 teams, top 2 qualify, and six best third-placed play-off for the last 3 spots.

OR

- 3 groups of 8 and 4 groups of 7 teams, top 3 qualify, as well as two best-placed fourth team.

Some messy Maths there.

I'm fairly sure they would go with a playoff option, its been the way of choice for the past few qualification campaigns. Its messy but thats what happens when you start with a number like 53, this is the problem with being in the game or not though its just a bit of a guess how this will work.

Not sure how the qualifying groups will be sorted though.

UEFA currently has 53 teams. Discounting the hosts France that leaves 52 teams to be divided to fight for 23 spots.

Probably either:

- 8 groups of 5 and 2 of 6 teams, top 2 qualify, and six best third-placed play-off for the last 3 spots.

OR

- 3 groups of 8 and 4 groups of 7 teams, top 3 qualify, as well as two best-placed fourth team.

Some messy Maths there.

As a member of the SSC I would much rather have option 2! Getting sick of spending a whole load of money for 4 competative games in two years - for the last two qualification campaigns! So it will be option 1 :(

was confirmed 2 years ago, but in fm2010 wasn't

certainly should be in fm11 then!

this 24 team format is good for small countries but whether it will really improve the tournament quality is yet to be seen. of course, england, scotland not qualifying for euro08 wasn't nice, but then again - teams weren't good enough at that moment, so who says it would be a better tournament with those teams playing.. and if there are talks about iceland qualifying, no offense to this country, but then euros will be smth totally different now

certainly should be in fm11 then!

this 24 team format is good for small countries but whether it will really improve the tournament quality is yet to be seen. of course, england, scotland not qualifying for euro08 wasn't nice, but then again - teams weren't good enough at that moment, so who says it would be a better tournament with those teams playing.. and if there are talks about iceland qualifying, no offense to this country, but then euros will be smth totally different now

I think it would be good especially Ireland would have a great chance of qualifying surely. :p

Regarding FM11, I would assume it is in it personally as it is confirmed that it will happen just like new Champions League format when that was changed a few years ago or Premier League 25 man squad rule and so on.

Maybe Latvia could qualify as well, uusinjsh. ;) (I know they did in 2004 anyway with only 16 teams. :p)

Maybe Latvia could qualify as well, uusinjsh. ;) (I know they did in 2004 anyway with only 16 teams. :p)

It's not about qualifying or not qualifying, it's about the contribution these teams make to tournament's quality ;) OK, fine, Latvia qualifies, for example, and then what.. You will see 11 men in their own penalty box clearing the ball away as soon as it is near them :D

It's not about qualifying or not qualifying, it's about the contribution these teams make to tournament's quality OK, fine, Latvia qualifies, for example, and then what.. You will see 11 men in their own penalty box clearing the ball away as soon as it is near them :D

Yeah possibly or maybe they may improve from playing stronger teams. :p

Anyway it would still be cool for you to see Latvia in it wouldnt it. ;)

Saying that I do understand what you are saying. :D

The thing that makes it difficult to implement is the way competitions are set up in FM. It might have been easy for SI to set up the 25 man squad for EPL last season but to change an entire Euro qualification system will probably be tougher. They may have to wait until Euro 2012 is over.

Or until UEFA confirms the format of the whole thing (including qualifying). I believe the latest they will do that will be just before the next World Cup in 2014.

Archived