Starting all over again

So after 16 years with my beloved Gillingham, leading them to repeated domestic and European glory (yes, really), I've decided that I'd like to chuck it in and start all over again with a new lower league club. My worry, though, is that I've heard that if you have too high a reputation, no lower league club will take you on, assuming that they cannot afford you. I'm on £240,000 a week, with a World Class rep and total career earnings of £67 million.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experience of being refused a job on the grounds that they have been too successful?

From personal experience doing exactly this (albeit with a different club...Gillingham has a habit of being a boogey-team of mine--hate'emhate'emhate'em ;) ) , I can say, no lower clubs will offer you jobs unless you apply for them. But once you've applied, the job is yours.

I had a similar career where I was very successful with PSV, Porto, Lyon, Milan Chelsea then Arsenal before taking over Gillingham. I was manager of Arsenal when Gillingham sacked their manager. I was a world class manager, applied for the Gills job, got it and joined them on a fraction of the salary I was on. This was on FM08 though.

Archived