Can Football manager make you a good manager irl?

Thats an interesting read however despite SI's great realism they could never replicate the real business world good enough to teach you a great deal. However in terms of management you may pick up a small thing or to but again it's all about realism. Interesting though!

As with all Simulation games (Driving, Flying, Shooting etc) I am sure it helps you build up a general knowledge of the core aspects of training and managing and if you already are comfortable with the profession I am sure it helps you becomming better, good I dont know, I dont think so as the game itself doesnt touch enough upon areas within the field of psychology for example. You would probably be better off if you'd put the hours you 'sink' into the game into real managing as the games soul purpose is enjoyment.

Obviously right now I am ready to lead QPR to continental and domestic glory! I have multiple lives with years of experience each!

But, I will agree with those that have said FM will add some background knowledge. I am better at recognizing formations and player roles when watching a real game.

Lankylars, I am not neccesarily saying that you have to be a Football manager, I think it can help in becoming a more accomplished manager in any enviroment. For example, in retail management you will need to adapt your approach to deal with different people at different levels.

Similarly you have to adapt your approach on football manager for different players.

The only things I think could improve real life managing are the database to identify some players to take a look at in real life and a sort of simulation of tactics. Say you ran the same pair of tactics against each other 20 times you could see where some holes were forming.

Other things FM doesn't give you anything in like day to day coaching and training of players, scouting talent, man management, detailed tactics (theres a lot more you could tell a bloke to do), dealing with the media.

It does in the knowledge aspects, although you will never get the experiance of playing for a professional club and experiancing management at the top level to gain experiance. Also you would need to go through a variety of coaching/management courses to become qualified to even coach :p All in all, knowledge (Y) when it comes to real life and interacting with players etc (N)

That is what I am trying to get at in my blog (http://bit.ly/buy6AC

) AndyRich , that games like this are great for gaining the knowledge that lays the foundation of good management. I am not talking about becoming a professional manager (football or otherwise), but gaining the skills that will eventually lead to success.

For example in FML you have to negotiate often, and this is a vital skill in real life business. To get a better perspective of what I am getting at, it is best to read the blog. http://bit.ly/buy6AC

Would love to hear more opinions from you all.

While I agree that video games can have a positive effect on social and intelelctual skills, I think the blog is partly bull, sorry.

All those qualities mentioned in there should be very straight forward. If you don't know that having good and motivated staff as well as good resources management are integral to having a successful business already as a 1st year business student, then you can save yourself from trying to finish studying. It'll be pointless effort.

As great as I think it is as a football management game, as a business simulation, FM is crap. Your decisions in the game only cover a tiny area of the economic side of running a football club and the negotiations are really not all that similar to real life. Thus, saying you can learn something for real business from playing FM which goes beyond common sense or even something you can learn at business school is a huge overstatement imo.

While I agree that video games can have a positive effect on social and intelelctual skills, I think the blog is partly bull, sorry.

All those qualities mentioned in there should be very straight forward. If you don't know that having good and motivated staff as well as good resources management are integral to having a successful business already as a 1st year business student, then you can save yourself from trying to finish studying. It'll be pointless effort.

As great as I think it is as a football management game, as a business simulation, FM is crap. Your decisions in the game only cover a tiny area of the economic side of running a football club and the negotiations are really not all that similar to real life. Thus, saying you can learn something for real business from playing FM which goes beyond common sense or even something you can learn at business school is a huge overstatement imo.

indeedily.

In a football management sense - FM imo gives you a very basic grounding in the sport. As both a player and a coach, I don't think that FM, or any other football game for that matter, has added anything to my knowledge of the game apart from knowing more of the details, such as who Litex Lovech are and where best to play Supat Rungratsamee. If you put me in charge of a professional club I wouldnt know where to start....

In a business sense I'd very much advise people that as mentioned earlier, football simulations will not make you a good business manager, as even the most detailed are nothing like real life.

Archived