Will Womens Leagues/Womens World Cup Ever Make it into FM?

Women play football both professionally and internationally. Seems like SI should add them into the game as playable leagues. I really cant think of a good argument for keeping them out.

As a business decision, it would bring in a new wave of (female) customers.

SI??

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Women play football both professionally and internationally. Seems like SI should add them into the game as playable leagues. I really cant think of a good argument for keeping them out.

SI??

Really?

How about it would be a whole separate game as they don't interact with the mens game at all

I think this was discussed awhile ago and the general conclusion reached was that the amount of time, effort, and money that would need to be put into the research, etc, wouldn't have a good enough return to justify actually doing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it in the game, but if SI can't see a good enough profit for it, then they're not going to stick their necks out, which is perfectly understandable.

The Womans World Cup is this year. I remember watching a couple matches live when it was here in the USA 7 years ago. It was far better then I expected. My favorite player was this amazing AMC Sun Wen from china. She played with heart and soul.

This comes up every now and then on forums. I don't think it will ever be in the game.

Women's football is entirely seperate to men's football meaning basically a parallel game. A game in which theres comparitively no money/fans/quality only the very very top of the women's game ever gets any attention whatsoever and even then its forgotten about 10 seconds after the match.

I can't see it being very entertaining to play. I mean how far does the divisions go down? Surely the game would be just about trying to knock Arsenal off top spot.

There are leagues in other countries like the USA; and the international game is there.

I can't see it being very entertaining to play. I mean how far does the divisions go down? Surely the game would be just about trying to knock Arsenal off top spot.

Just in England there are a great many leagues, more than you'd think. Then you've got all the other countries where the sport's becoming more popular and the international game. Just because we don't hear about it a lot doesn't mean it's not there. :p

Just in England there are a great many leagues, more than you'd think. Then you've got all the other countries where the sport's becoming more popular and the international game. Just because we don't hear about it a lot doesn't mean it's not there. :p

And you would get the database choice of: small, very small, really tiny, not enough for a league, Asrenal, ....Back to FM :D

I'd like to see it as a feature

Although would i use it... nope

If they're in the same game then you'd get someone complaining that the manager for the women's team is taking the transfer money for the mens team (or are they run as separate entities?)

It would be a nice addition but I strongly doubt it would be financially viable. After all, they'd need to devote a very large amount of research money to scout it all. In the men's games, so many games are on TV and in other media that it's virtually impossible NOT to know who the best players are. Awesome players are already known and while their seasons still need to be reviewed and such, there are usually only a handful of "unknowns" that break into the main stage every year and need massive changes from game to game. There would also be extra licensing fees and such involved with the women's teams.

And of course, they are going to find some way of attracting enough new gamers to the game to make it successful. And these people would ideally ONLY buy it because of women's teams, as the addition would be pointless otherwise (ie. why waste time and money on a well developed women's league system when even the newcomers only play using men?).

This one again.

Women's football and men's football has no inter-related interaction between them, so there would be no point intergrating them into FM, which is essentially for men's football.

If there needs to be a game, it should be on it's own.

It's like asking Codemasters or EA Sports to have an F1 AND WRC game together. They're both racing but they're not related to each other at all, and so would not fit. Same for men's/women's football.

What BenArsenal said really. I remember being involved in a massive and, at times, heated debate about this issue on here a few years ago. The thread ran for pages and pages. Basically, I felt (and still feel) that it's a waste of time. As BenArsenal said, the two leagues don't interact with each other at all so it's a total waste of time.

What BenArsenal said really. I remember being involved in a massive and, at times, heated debate about this issue on here a few years ago. The thread ran for pages and pages. Basically, I felt (and still feel) that it's a waste of time. As BenArsenal said, the two leagues don't interact with each other at all so it's a total waste of time.

Well, you could equally make the same argument about the Euro leagues and the Indian or Malaysian leagues currently on FM. Its Football Manager; not Mens Football Manager.

Its also inevitable at some point that a woman will be playing in the current mens only leagues. Women will be officiating in the FL.

If SI wanted to put out serious offers for the various womans leagues they could make this happen. Nothing would have to be changed in the game; just more data added.

Well, you could equally make the same argument about the Euro leagues and the Indian or Malaysian leagues currently on FM. Its Football Manager; not Mens Football Manager.

Its also inevitable at some point that a woman will be playing in the current mens only leagues. Women will be officiating in the FL.

If SI wanted to put out serious offers for the various womans leagues they could make this happen. Nothing would have to be changed in the game; just more data added.

It is in no way inevitable. The gulf in physicality alone would make it nigh on impossible, don't get me started on the skill disparity. As for officials, yes there are already women officials, but they aren't exactly kicking the EPL's door in are they?

As for in game, its already been said, they are 2 seperate sports and would in my eyes require 2 seperate games.

Nope, different argument. Other (men's) leagues around the world, regardless of how minor, still interact with each other through transfers and links and the likes. You may not see it but it happens. But not with women's football.

When women do actually play in men's leagues, then we'll talk about it. Until then, it is still only a pipe dream.

Because the interest simply is not there, there is virtually no name brands that could sell the game and there isnt a big audience of female soccer enthusiasts to begin with, I mean amateur games attract more people then female games do.

There really isnt a big market for sports games with females, even shooting games has a bigger audience of women.

Also, Baba Booey, Baba Booey, Howard Stern rules!

It is in no way inevitable. The gulf in physicality alone would make it nigh on impossible, don't get me started on the skill disparity. As for officials, yes there are already women officials, but they aren't exactly kicking the EPL's door in are they?

As for in game, its already been said, they are 2 seperate sports and would in my eyes require 2 seperate games.

This just doesnt seem to be true. Many of the best male players are shorter and slighter. Just what gulf in physicality are you talking about? Just what skill on a pitch can a man do but a woman cant?

Nope, different argument. Other (men's) leagues around the world, regardless of how minor, still interact with each other through transfers and links and the likes. You may not see it but it happens. But not with women's football.

When women do actually play in men's leagues, then we'll talk about it. Until then, it is still only a pipe dream.

Do not some Football League clubs finance their womans sides? Might they not be financially linked then in game?

This just doesnt seem to be true. Many of the best male players are shorter and slighter. Just what gulf in physicality are you talking about? Just what skill on a pitch can a man do but a woman cant?

Seriously? Average heights/weights around the world will tell you the differences between men and women. As for skill? Pretty much everything is the answer to that. At least based upon the evidence I have seen. Que someone loading up a Marta highlights package now (yawn). Just because one or 2 women can do a few tricks doesn't mean they all can. I've watched a few womens games from the UK and at world cup level and apart from one or two players it is actually quite embarassing to watch. I'd wager that most conference level mens sides would whip any of the international teams that aren't Brazil or USA.

Lets face it, it aint going to happen.

Because the interest simply is not there, there is virtually no name brands that could sell the game and there isnt a big audience of female soccer enthusiasts to begin with, I mean amateur games attract more people then female games do.

There really isnt a big market for sports games with females, even shooting games has a bigger audience of women.

Also, Baba Booey, Baba Booey, Howard Stern rules!

Lots of women play the real game though. There is a possible fertile market there is they can be reached. There must be a way to reach some women.

And bababooey to you all.

I sincerely hope not, they are good in the kitchen only.

Whenever these threads get opened, someone always comes up with this and then we all get blasted as mysogynistic. Which isn't helped when the OP, the person pushing this cause, joins in:

They arent so bad in the bedroom either.

Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Seriously? Average heights/weights around the world will tell you the differences between men and women. As for skill? Pretty much everything is the answer to that. At least based upon the evidence I have seen. Que someone loading up a Marta highlights package now (yawn). Just because one or 2 women can do a few tricks doesn't mean they all can. I've watched a few womens games from the UK and at world cup level and apart from one or two players it is actually quite embarassing to watch. I'd wager that most conference level mens sides would whip any of the international teams that aren't Brazil or USA.

Or the Germans, Swedes, Norwegians or Canadians. And the Nigerians are closing fast. The Koreans and Chinese are also very good but they do indeed tend to be small.

Nope, and again BenArsenal has beaten me to the comment, but you get transfers between these leagues, but no there is no interaction in terms of player transfers between mens game and womens game. It's similar to asking for the Masters league to be included in the game. In fact there's probably a greater argument for including the Masters League (the players are already in the DB).
It's far from inevitable. Perugia tried it, and even went as far as offering a contract to a woman. The physicality (but not the skill as another poster said) disparity is too great. However, women already officiate in the FL and I'm sure that's replicated in the game (Google Wendy Thom for most obvious example).
Do not some Football League clubs finance their womans sides? Might they not be financially linked then in game?
There may be some truth in that. The honest answer is I don't know. I know we frequently get news about the woman's side on the Gillingham website.

The debate is always passionate, but I don't think it's something that will be implemented any time soon. IRL I'd rather watch Chorley v Whitley Bay than Arsenal Ladies v Wembley Ladies. On FM I'd rather manage in the Indian second division than in the Woman's League and I suspect I'm in the majority here.

This simply isn't true I'm afraid. Skill-wise the top women stand up to the top men. Until recently it was a woman who held the world record for keepy-ups for example. They are capable of scoring spectacular goals as well. However the pace of the woman's game is excruciatingly slow. For that reason I'd be inclined to agree that a conference level men's side could beat a top flight woman's side.

There may be some truth in that. The honest answer is I don't know. I know we frequently get news about the woman's side on the Gillingham website.

I can confirm that a great many of the top flight, as well as the smaller, clubs finance their women teams. Some of them even share staff, such as physios.

While I'm sticking to my original opinion that SI aren't going to be doing this any time soon due to lack of a sound financial return, I don't think the general opinion in this thread that men are automatically better at football than women just because they're men is a good one.

Well, you're wrong. There are more than enough leagues and players in the UK alone to make a good sized database.

But do they have Resverve teams, Under 18's, Under 16's, youth academies etc ? No most don't and the amount of women that play football doesn't even compare to the men, so I was right, the database size would be small...I didn't mention how many leagues there would be.

I can confirm that a great many of the top flight, as well as the smaller, clubs finance their women teams. Some of them even share staff, such as physios.

While I'm sticking to my original opinion that SI aren't going to be doing this any time soon due to lack of a sound financial return, I don't think the general opinion in this thread that men are automatically better at football than women just because they're men is a good one.

My Girlfriend plays for Donegal Celtic in Northern Ireland, they share a lot of the mens facilities including ground, have 3 of their own coaches and the club physio also is their physio.

She formerly played for Glenavon, same deal.

Also note that afaik, there are 5 Divisions in Northern Ireland womens football (premiership > div4) with 10-12 teams in each.

Archived