Maybe a bit late but an idea for fm 11

I was just wondering what you guys thought about adding interviews to the game when trying to get a new job. I just think it would be more realistic as the current process is apply then a straight yes or no. The board of the team you are applying for could ask you a series of questions and then decide whether you are the most suitable for the job.

The game is in manufactoring, so indeed it's a bit late :D

This has been discussed on here often. If you do a search you'll find interesting discussions about this.

IIRC the main argument against them has always been that thinking about this feature more closely and imagining it in action, it would be very repetitive and probably also pointless as we could figure out quickly what the 'right' answers are. It would most probably annoy everyone very soon and add really little in return.

but surely a way round giving the same answers would be for different clubs to agree with different answers. For example if you were after the man city job the board would be looking for someone who would bring trophies as quick as possible whereas someone like liverpool may be looking for you to understand that the club needs to rebuild before thinking about winning the league

Maybe a bit late for FM11? Ha ha!

I'm not really sure about the idea of diferent questions for different teams, and whether they would work or not. What exactly would the Man City board ask you? "Can you win us lots of trophies?" and you reply "Yes I can" and get the job?

I don't think it would work.

Maybe a bit late for FM11? Ha ha!

I'm not really sure about the idea of diferent questions for different teams, and whether they would work or not. What exactly would the Man City board ask you? "Can you win us lots of trophies?" and you reply "Yes I can" and get the job?

I don't think it would work.

You could say the same for real life interviews. But they obviously ask more questions, to see if you are suitable for the role. I'd like this to be implemented, although I think he may be right - it might be a day or two late for FM11...

Start of Game

Standard interview, and you'd get the job whichever club you went for and whatever you said.

However, your answers would affect your job security at the start, your relationship with the board and maybe the budgets you are given.

For example, if you answer them well, you'll have higher job security, the board will like you (and may be more willing to grant requests) and you'd get given £10mil instead of £5mil after promising to spend half on players for the future.

During Game

When you apply for other jobs, you would get some more questions asked. These would be to find out if you are appropriate for the job, and you could get rejected for the job depending on your answers.

Again, answers would affect your job security at the start, your relationship with the board and maybe the budgets you are given. However, unlike at the start, you could get rejected in light of what you say.

The sort of things they would ask you would be on your tactic philosophy (e.g. Arsenal unlikely to appoint a 'hoof and run manager like Aidy Boothroyd), transfer policy (e.g. Man City might not want a manager who saves money like Arsene Wenger, when they have unlimited funds) and just other areas that would let them see if you're appropriate.

If you don't answer the right questions (and you'd probably wouldn't know all of their philosophies) then you wouldn't get the job. It'd be much better than a simple yes or no.

My answer from there:

I don't believe that this could be any good.

What are the clubs supposed to ask? What are you supposed to say? What is the use when it's obvious or learned which answer is the 'right' one?

FM could never mirror the complexity of real world job interviews. Also, there not only what you say but also your personality has a huge impact.

While in general the idea sounds appealing, it would be a very predictable disaster if implemented in any video game.

My answer from there:

What are the clubs supposed to ask? What are you supposed to say? What is the use when it's obvious or learned which answer is the 'right' one?

FM could never mirror the complexity of real world job interviews. Also, there not only what you say but also your personality has a huge impact.

While in general the idea sounds appealing, it would be a very predictable disaster if implemented in any video game.

There wouldn't be a 'right' answer. Different boards have different personalities and ways of running a club. Hence, each board would look for different things in a manager.

Q. If we were to give you a budget of £30mil, how would you spend it?

1. Buy young players for the future

2. Buy an established name to get our name in the lights

3. Buy older heads to give us some experience

4. Buy the best and most of what I can

5. Spend it where necessary, but save the majority

Board: Man City

They would probably want you to spend it on big names (ala Adebayor, Tevez, Silva, De Jong) so would appoint either 2 or 4

Board: Arsenal

They would probably want you to carry on like Wenger, saving money with cheap purchases and players for the future (ala Bendtner, van Persie, Fabregas, Clichy) so would appoint 1, 3 or 5

Board: Portsmouth

They would probably want to save money, so would appoint 5

Of course, it would also depend on your other answers. Even if you said you'd save money with Portsmouth, they wouldn't appoint you if you said it was a stepping stone to your dream job at Southampton. Arsenal wouldn't appoint a manager who spends little on future stars, if they also said they like to play defensive football.

My answer from there:

Exactly, FM could not replicate this with a multiple choice system. The press conferences are bad enough.

I've seen this in 1 game before, can't remember what is was but it was brilliant! Yes it would be complex to bring into the game but maybe..... JUST MAYBE it's another one of those things that SI have already spoke between themselves and have said "Yes we will do this BUT..." Could it be another Dynamic Reputation like they've done with the leagues, something that will be in the pipeline for 5-10 years yet will only be released once they feel they have nailed it.

It would be a fantastic addition if they did yet there are other things that need sorting/implementing before this

Erm, let's fix what they call press conferences before we try and implement job interviews...

I can already imagine a question like this with a lower league club with the repetitiveness of questions... :p

Q: If you had a transfer budget of $0, how would you spend it?

And I think later on in the game when you're a proven manager, your track record should be good enough for most jobs. I wouldn't want to lose out on a job because I didn't click the correct option. The bottom line is if I win (well with the exception of Real Madrid...winning with style), I should be hired at big clubs based on my reputation and accomplishments in my career.

If they did this (which would be great imo) then what about players interviews? So you get to know the player and what hes about. It would be hard to put in the game but it would be more realistic. The people who say ' it will get boring and you will have to answer the same questions everytime you get a new job' How often do you change? In FM10 i was only 3 different clubs over the year(nearly) so i would of have to do it 3 times.

There wouldn't be a 'right' answer. Different boards have different personalities and ways of running a club. Hence, each board would look for different things in a manager.

Q. If we were to give you a budget of £30mil, how would you spend it?

1. Buy young players for the future

2. Buy an established name to get our name in the lights

3. Buy older heads to give us some experience

4. Buy the best and most of what I can

5. Spend it where necessary, but save the majority

Board: Man City

They would probably want you to spend it on big names (ala Adebayor, Tevez, Silva, De Jong) so would appoint either 2 or 4

Board: Arsenal

They would probably want you to carry on like Wenger, saving money with cheap purchases and players for the future (ala Bendtner, van Persie, Fabregas, Clichy) so would appoint 1, 3 or 5

Board: Portsmouth

They would probably want to save money, so would appoint 5

Of course, it would also depend on your other answers. Even if you said you'd save money with Portsmouth, they wouldn't appoint you if you said it was a stepping stone to your dream job at Southampton. Arsenal wouldn't appoint a manager who spends little on future stars, if they also said they like to play defensive football.

Do you realize just how much work it would be to get this right?

First of all you would need new club attributes to be included in the research data and then there are still so many ways to go wrong, considering SI don't even get the press conferences right. I'm sure the feature would just annoy the hell out of most people...

Secondly just a multiple choice interview per se lacks the depth of real life talks and personal impressions. I have very recently been involved in the decision-making process of naming a new manager and I assure you that it consisted of a lot more things than those which could be handled by a sheet with a few multiple choice questions.

What's wrong with us being able to get job offers based on our reputation and achievements?

Do you realize just how much work it would be to get this right?

First of all you would need new club attributes to be included in the research data and then there are still so many ways to go wrong, considering SI don't even get the press conferences right. I'm sure the feature would just annoy the hell out of most people...

Secondly just a multiple choice interview per se lacks the depth of real life talks and personal impressions. I have very recently been involved in the decision-making process of naming a new manager and I assure you that it consisted of a lot more things than those which could be handled by a sheet with a few multiple choice questions.

What's wrong with us being able to get job offers based on our reputation and achievements?

Do you realise just how much work every new feature needs to get it right?

It could be based on the board's stats, or it wouldn't be too much for researchers to do a few new stats.

I also fail to see how something that you might come across once a season, maximum, would 'annoy the hell out of people'.

And of course it wouldn't have the depth of a real conversation, but you could say the same for board interaction, team talks, press conferences, player conversations and any other sort of interaction in the game.

The thing with reputation and achievements is that we always start a job with the same level of confidence etc. There is no way, in real life, that it is only reputation and achievements that contribute to this. This means that it is not only unrealistic that it's only these that FM considers, but inaccurate too.

And of course it wouldn't have the depth of a real conversation, but you could say the same for board interaction, team talks, press conferences, player conversations and any other sort of interaction in the game.

Hence these features are subject to so much criticism on here and few cared if they weren't in the game, while in theory only the press conferences are probably something that you just cannot make any fun while the others could add a lot if improved. As said before I would class job interviews as on the 'press conferences' side of the things that can or cannot be turned into fun.

Archived